Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #41
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
When Stajan and Backlund go down with their seasonal injuries, I bet Arnold comes up and impresses.
Or he's this years Jooris and does it in camp.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #42
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bump for updates. The list is shrinking.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #43
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Updated after Elson, Jooris & Byron re-signings. That just leaves Ferland to be re-signed.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #44
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And the Schlem-cat after we long term IR Smid and/or move Engelland

Last edited by Benched; 07-27-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #45
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor, poor Ben Hanowski. Nobody even wants him on their AHL team.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #46
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What happens with Ferland? I realize he didn't apply for arbitration. Am I correct in assuming he can start the season under his old contract and that his new contract becomes retroactive to the start of the season once it is signed?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #47
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
What happens with Ferland? I realize he didn't apply for arbitration. Am I correct in assuming he can start the season under his old contract and that his new contract becomes retroactive to the start of the season once it is signed?

Ferland doesn't have a contract. He can't play in any regular season games until he is signed, which won't be a problem though.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #48
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now that everyone else but Gio is out of the way lets get Ferland signed !!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #49
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Poor, poor Ben Hanowski. Nobody even wants him on their AHL team.
I'm not sure that's true. I'm curious to why he hasn't signed yet, and it's probably because he's looking for a 2-way deal instead of an AHL only contract.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #50
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I'm not sure that's true. I'm curious to why he hasn't signed yet, and it's probably because he's looking for a 2-way deal instead of an AHL only contract.
I'd guess he has multiple AHL and European offers but is trying to get a two-way deal like you suggest.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #51
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one a little surprised that Schlemko hasn't caught on anywhere? I realize we have too many players in general, but I could still see a role for him on the team. Maybe my memory is clouded by the shootout goal, but in the playoffs last year he was often our 5th defenseman. Even after adding Hamilton, you still need guys like him to account for injuries, trades etc.

I'm guessing he, Diaz or similar still gets added, even if on a PTO. I just don't believe the team believes there is a young dman ready to step up yet.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #52
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Diaz signed with the Rags
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #53
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Am I the only one a little surprised that Schlemko hasn't caught on anywhere? I realize we have too many players in general, but I could still see a role for him on the team. Maybe my memory is clouded by the shootout goal, but in the playoffs last year he was often our 5th defenseman. Even after adding Hamilton, you still need guys like him to account for injuries, trades etc.

I'm guessing he, Diaz or similar still gets added, even if on a PTO. I just don't believe the team believes there is a young dman ready to step up yet.

Though I would also like to have him back, their isn't an option for him as we have our D Prospects knocking for a spot on the team that can provide a much cheaper option right now. I think we now have someone to step up, Nakladal/Morrsion/Wotherspoon
Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #54
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who was saying schlemko should be signed for 3 mill aav again? Wonder if they want to take the under now.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Though I would also like to have him back, their isn't an option for him as we have our D Prospects knocking for a spot on the team that can provide a much cheaper option right now. I think we now have someone to step up, Nakladal/Morrsion/Wotherspoon
I don't believe there is a cheaper option than Schlemko. One year $700K probably gets it done (thanks to Caged Great for pointing out that Diaz signed with NYR - that was his contract).

If you look at the ins and outs, you could say we replaced Schlemko, Diaz and Potter for Hamilton, Nakladal and Morrison. Huge upgrade in the first slot which should leave less ice time for the back end guys.

But

Nakladal and Morrison haven't even begun to prove they can play in the NHL. I am still not convinced Wotherspoon has confidence of the coaching staff and management. Injuries will happen and I have heard Treliving say more than once you can't have too much depth on the back end. And I think there is still a chance a defender gets dealt especially once Gio's contract is settled.

So maybe Schlemko comes back?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #56
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I wonder if they've told Schlemko that they are happy to offer him a training camp invite, but he needs to win a spot to get more.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #57
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I wonder if they've told Schlemko that they are happy to offer him a training camp invite, but he needs to win a spot to get more.
That seems logical for the Flames. At this point in his career, I am sure he had hoped that his play for the Flames through the post season would have earned him a one year contract somewhere.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #58
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at it as the players coming out of junior, etc. are more skilled than previous generations and I think there is a youth movement starting in the NHL. A lot of UFAs, not only Schlemko, may find themselves without a contract.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #59
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yeah , he would be good insurance if Nakladal or Wotherspoon prove not to be NHL ready. I just hope it's an invite and not a contract.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schlemko was put on waivers twice last year (so I am working on the assumption that he could clear).

If I was Treliving, I would offer Schlemko a position as the veteran leader in Stockton, with the understanding that, come injuries, the Flames would call him up.

Make it clear that guys like Nakladal, Wotherspoon and Morrison also need NHL time to be seen and tested. And that Stockton needs a leader, but that the NHL door would not be closed in the slightest.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote