Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #81
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny You-know-dreau
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #82
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hamilton being left off the North America roster of the World Cup was bad enough but if Team Canada doesn't come calling I have to wonder what the hell's up with his reputation around the league. I'm not exactly sure what more he could do at this young stage of his career to garner some respect.
I'd assume play better defensively.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #83
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

That and play with more of an edge.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #84
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
"Calgary is my home," -- Troy Brouwer.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #85
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we can find a way to retain Stone on the third pairing, while bringing in one of Oduya/Alzner/Franson, that would be ideal.

Love what Engelland has been, but can't imagine he has much gas left in the tank, nor will the wheels get any better.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Sam you said the same thing last year, how about working on how improving other aspects of your game.

Can the Flames see what the players are doing in the offseason? Can the Flames make them do stuff, the Flames trainers want in the offseason?
I think that the Flames can make recommendations but outside of mandated camps they can't force the players to do anything.

they can't dictate to a player that they have to live in Calgary and work out with our trainers or skate on our ice during the off season.

The coaches can certainly go and visit a player, but I don't think that they can force them to work out for example.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Oh come on. He's not perfect but it's not like he's Morgan Reilly bad in his own end and he got an invite to the World Cup.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #88
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oh come on. He's not perfect but it's not like he's Morgan Reilly bad in his own end and he got an invite to the World Cup.
Dougie is essentially the anti- Jack Johnson. Good player who doesn't get near enough credit.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #89
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Flames‏Verified account @NHLFlames 16m16 minutes ago
More
"I'd welcome the opportunity to be back. It's out of my hands now." - Brian Elliott

Kristen Odland‏Verified account @Kristen_Odland 3m3 minutes ago
More
Brian Elliott says he wants to be back with the Flames & wouldn't do anything differently on the goal he allowed in Game 4.

Kristen Odland‏Verified account @Kristen_Odland 5m5 minutes ago
More
"It comes along with the job, being a goalie. From when you're 8-yrs-old to 38, you're either the hero or getting blamed," -- Elliott

More
cont. "If you can make it to this level, you've gone through a lot of situations where you could end up an 8-yr-old crying on the way home."

Last edited by Otto-matic; 04-21-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Why's JG playing at the worlds? He should be hitting the gym.
You know that most players for the first few weeks after the season is over are completely exhausted and even if they don't have a major injury will spend time working on heeling minor injuries like sprains and bumps and buises. From reading some stuff, most players might go to the gym in the first few weeks of the off season just to maintain and stretch. But they're catching up with their families, doing normal person stuff and trying to rest and relax.

Most players don't start hitting it hard in terms of training until the start of summer.

Right now until probably the end of playoffs or more, they're not going to so super nuts. Their workouts will be far more then what ordinary humans are, but they're trying to maintain and heel.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #91
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Dougie is essentially the anti- Jack Johnson. Good player who doesn't get near enough credit.
Even Brodie got an invite

Wes Gilbertson‏Verified account @WesGilbertson 45m45 minutes ago
More
#Flames D TJ Brodie was invited to represent Canada at worlds, declined due to family engagements. "It sucks, I'd love to be able to go."
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #92
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just looked at Team Canada's D and Dougie would be their best defenseman. That team is gonna get shredded. Most of their D are rookies and their backup goalie is a rookie AHLer.

Last edited by Geeoff; 04-21-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #93
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Little Johnny? Ugh. When Gaudreau turns things around next season kindly stay off the bandwagon. The previous two years you were such an over the top fan boy almost gushing with each "Johnny Hockey.." You wanted Treliving to "back the truck up" almost having daily panic attacks that he wasn't signed. The guy struggles, which happens to all players throughout their career and it's been an entire year of obnoxious dismissive comments towards him. Such a disgusting 180.

Can't wait to him to shove your words right back up your butt. All of them. At once.

You should tell him how you really feel.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #94
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I just looked at Team Canada's D and Dougie would be their best defenseman. That team is gonna get shredded. Most of their D are rookies and their backup goalie is a rookie AHLer.
He needs to heal his achilles anyways. I'd rather he stayed home.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #95
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Calgary Flames‏Verified account @NHLFlames 16m16 minutes ago
More
"I'd welcome the opportunity to be back. It's out of my hands now." - Brian Elliott

More
Brian Elliott says he wants to be back with the Flames & wouldn't do anything differently on the goal he allowed in Game 4.

Kristen Odland‏Verified account @Kristen_Odland 5m5 minutes ago
More
"It comes along with the job, being a goalie. From when you're 8-yrs-old to 38, you're either the hero or getting blamed," -- Elliott

More
cont. "If you can make it to this level, you've gone through a lot of situations where you could end up an 8-yr-old crying on the way home."
I like Elliotts answers/comments…. Didn’t like his play those couple games but he’s definitely a good guy, battles hard and hates to lose. Sucks it didn’t work out better for both sides.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #96
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If we can find a way to retain Stone on the third pairing, while bringing in one of Oduya/Alzner/Franson, that would be ideal.

Love what Engelland has been, but can't imagine he has much gas left in the tank, nor will the wheels get any better.
Oduya looked done after rejoining the Hawks.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #97
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He can get another 3yr 9 million dollar contract out of someone who wants a character guy to play 3/4 minutes while protecting their young players. while they miss the playoffs.
I'm not sure about that - I wouldn't be shocked if he only gets $1.50M-AAV over a couple years. I think we forget that Engelland is 35 years old (I do, anyway).

Roman Polak is a fair comparable, and he signed a 1yr deal @ $2.25M last summer. He's 4 years younger than Engelland.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #98
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What the? huh. thats just.....

Come on.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #99
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Exactly. If Dougie was 6'0" he'd get a lot more credit than he does. Everyone sees a big guy and wants a Pronger/Stevens/Chara murdering everyone they come across but Dougie's offensive ability, transition skills, and breakout ability are exceeded only by this year's Norris candidates. The guy doesn't even get #1 PP minutes and he's still #4 in scoring on his team.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #100
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
More
I agree with him, was at the game and of course you're like 'that's a weak goal', but looking back on replay it's a miracle that it sneaked through. His pad was down flat on the ice which should have pushed it into the corner.