Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #121
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we can't get a mulligan by finding a way to offload that contract, it's going to be tough watching that cap space being eaten up over the next few years.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #122
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I think I would have endured watching Bollig over seeing what Brouwer didn't do this year.

Why do I get sucked into this every year with the flames.?

I think this was as bad as Roman Cervenka? We should have just paid Colbourne I guess.

I know Tre will have allot more freedom with money this off season so I hope he doesn't pull another one of these off for next year.
Exactly. I don't mind overpaying for UFA's who are going to put up 60 points. Flames practically wasted almost 4.5 million bucks on Brouwer.

Brouwer: $4.5m per year - 4 years - Contract ends at Age: 34
Okposo: $6.0m per years - 6 years - Contract ends at Age: 34

Brouwer: 25 points in 74 games
Okposo: 45 points in 65 games........

don't know what Treliving was thinking or what medications he was on. That's just ridiculous.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Okposo

How good would that line have looked? Okposo was only 28 years old when he signed as a UFA this past year.....and he would have helped out our Powerplay....such a missed opportunity.

it's so painful. absolutely puke worthy.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #123
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I always found the Brouwer signing weird because it was a very traditional #gritchart choice based on a single good playoff run, rather than something backed up by analytics the way guys like Frolik and Dougie were. stuff like this is why people still think Burke meddles occasionally, because you wouldn't think the same GM would make such philosophically opposing moves, unless he was just totally blinded by RW desperation.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #124
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

I definitely see a lot of similarities between gaudreau and giroux.

Small, skilled, crafty. Flashy right off the bat. Sky high expectations. Now struggling for consistency 5on5.

Reminds me of ovechkin. When he isn't scoring, its a giant eyesore. had a couple of off years. But his game recovered. Hoping the same for Johnny and giroux
Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #125
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering salary, I would have rather kept Colborne than sign Brouwer.
And that is after acknowledging the horrible year Joe had with the Aves.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #126
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm not 100% sold on that. He seemed to be playing pretty timidly this season, and more so in this series. Rushing his decisions out of nerves.
I think this could be a system thing. The team does a lot of dumping and chasing. Imagine being Gaudreau chasing the puck in a corner where it's greasy and heavy. Of course there's hesitation. He's not built to play that kind of hockey.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #127
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Considering salary, I would have rather kept Colborne than sign Brouwer.
And that is after acknowledging the horrible year Joe had with the Aves.
weird, brouwer had 3x as many points for less than twice the salary
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #128
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Exactly. I don't mind overpaying for UFA's who are going to put up 60 points. Flames practically wasted almost 4.5 million bucks on Brouwer.

Brouwer: $4.5m per year - 4 years - Contract ends at Age: 34
Okposo: $6.0m per years - 6 years - Contract ends at Age: 34

Brouwer: 25 points in 74 games
Okposo: 45 points in 65 games........

don't know what Treliving was thinking or what medications he was on. That's just ridiculous.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Okposo

How good would that line have looked? Okposo was only 28 years old when he signed as a UFA this past year.....and he would have helped out our Powerplay....such a missed opportunity.

it's so painful. absolutely puke worthy.

One key thing missing from your argument. You make the assumption that Okposo would have take the same contract offer from the Flames that he did from the Sabres. Fairly good chance he didn't want to play in Canada or the west
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #129
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Also, salary cap. I don't think the Flames could have fit that salary in anywhere.

Plus, is anyone confident in a 6 year deal for a player like Okposo? I'd be nervous as hell about that one...much more so than Brouwer.

Besides which, we all reasoned that Brouwer was a perennial 20 goal 40 point guy. Seems like it's somewhat comparable to Okposo's production for a lesser salary.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #130
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unfortunately I think we may be stuck with this useless plug. I don't see Vegas touching him with 3 years left on a deal at 4.5. Maybe if there was 1 year or 2 left on the deal. Just got to hope for a miracle that somebody takes him off our hands. Absolutely useless all year. I was excited about him once all year and that was in the season opener when he scored on that breakaway against the Oil, all down hill since.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #131
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what it comes down to is what does George McPhee think of Brouwer? There is plenty of familiarity there and if Brouwer is as highly regarded in the room and a character guy as people say then he might be a good fit for Vegas?

3 year term for an expansion team isn't that bad. There is a chance that McPhee could think this season was a one off and he will bounce back to 20 goals 40 points?

Unless a player like Shinkaruk, Kulak, Wotherspoon etc has a massive playoff for the Heat the options are limited. Brouwer, Bouma, Stajan?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #132
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
weird, brouwer had 3x as many points for less than twice the salary
Joe's 8 points this year is an anomaly - as was his 44 points last season.
Everyone on that Aves team suffered career worsts it seems. It is reasonable to say that he would have got around 25 points playing for Calgary.

Granted Brouwer also had an off year, and should have seen closer to 40 points. At 31 years old I am less convinced this is an anomaly though.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #133
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to think that maybe he was injured and he will turn it around next year. He's not going anywhere.

It all might look better when a couple of plugs (Stajan and Bouma) come off the salary after next season. Maybe he can provide shelter for a couple of young guys on a line.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #134
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
that's really going out of your way to find an excuse for Johnny.
He is paid to be a front line player that produces. Period.
He is paid to drive the offense on that line.
He wasn't good enough. Not by a long shot.
No need to give him excuses. He just needs to be better.
Sure,maybe, but not wrong about Ferland. He did nothing last season and caught lightning in a bottle for a few months this year.

Since Hudler left, JG and to a lesser extent Monahan have looked lost at the end of last year and first half of this year as they need that third line mate to keep other teams honest and not just focus on them.

Ferland had a good game 1 but degenerated the rest of the series to the point where he couldn't take a pass properly last night and got switched with Brouwer a few shifts in the third period. As mentioned, yes JG has to take the slack up to be the elite player but it's clear he still needs a reliable other winger to give him that space and extra split seconds he needs to make plays.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #135
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I hope Brouwer doesn't read the You Be The Boss results when they come out in the paper. He's going to have a bad day.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote