Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:
Default Building A New Home?

Over the years on CP I have had a couple people approach me regarding the new build process.

If you are thinking about a new build, I am more than happy to help you out. My services/opinions are of no cost what so ever.
A couple advantages are:
- I have worked with numerous builders and understand the process
- I can do the negotiating for you if you are not comfortable in doing so
- While a builder might say no to 25k off the asking price, there are ways to structure a deal so that they accept 30k off.
- You need to think re sale. I will help make sure no drastic decisions are made that are going to hurt you when you go to sell down the road.
- Advice on what to and what not to spend extra money on...ie a deck or developed basement which may be completed for 50% of the quote a builder gives.

I also have a bit of a give back program which I can discuss more in depth if you are thinking about the build process.
FYI: most builders have a budget for realtor commissions already set in place. You are more likely to save money by visiting a show home with a realtor than you would going in by yourself.
Please note, builders will not cooperate with a realtor if you have already been through the show home and discussed things with a sales rep.
For more information on my services, the give back or having me register you with a builder, please contact me!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Please note, builders will not cooperate with a realtor if you have already been through the show home and discussed things with a sales rep.
Why not?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Why not?
I'm just taking a stab in the dark here (Travis correct me if I'm way off base), but I suspect it comes down to commission. The sales reps in the show home are probably working on some form of commission. So how they approach a possible deal is different when dealing with the individual buyer VS a buyer with a realtor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

They also want to know that I have been working with you and didnt just run into you at the grocery store, hear that your building and march in after much of the work has been done.
I wonder what a builder would think if I rented a bus bench in front of a show home advertising to call before walking in lol.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bus benches in communities where there are houses being built, surely you jest. The bus routes won't be there for another five years...
Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Bus routes exist on show home routes in several places. Aspen is the first place that comes to mind. I recall Sage Hill being another and with a few lots for sale in Evergreen there is a show home located on that main drag as well.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

J/K (Green text)... I'm looking at building in Mahogany... There's barely even roads let alone bus shelters...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

^^ I wasnt sure which part you were joking about but Mahogany came to mind when I thought of a showhome area that was "bare" for the time being lol.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm a little ways away from taking the leap into owning my own home (although not that far off).

I've been toying with the idea of building rather than buying. However, I don't really know what the cost to build would necessarily be, and how that compares to buying.

I realize that asking a Calgary based realtor isn't going to help me with approximate price, as the markets, and options, and builders would be quite different out there than out here. That said, I would imagine the variance from one to the other is probably about par (ie: it costs +/- X% to build than to buy).

Have you noticed a big difference between building and buying? I can imagine the pros/cons but without having a base of price I don't think I can properly weigh them.

I guess what I'm getting at is how do I go about looking at building costs and comparing them?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would certainly be interested in hearing perspectives on whether building versus buying a comparable house works out cheaper. My gut feel is that you don't save much money but get a "new" house and get to pick your own colours, etc. Would be interested to hear perspectives or if I'm way off base.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Older houses will be cheaper, but the land that they sit on will be worth more so that will depend a lot on the size of the city. ie. in a big city a really old house is probably near the core on valuable land while in a smaller city the value difference between central and suburb isn't that much.
In the same community I think new houses are comparable to almost new houses except that with new you may still have to pay for landscaping, fences and blinds to name a few things. Also with a new build you will be tempted to increase the price several times when your wife decides that the expensive granite is much nicer than the standard Corian one that comes with the house.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Travis, I have a question for you on the new community of Riverstone of Cranston. My parents are considering building a custom home there right on the riverbank, and I brought up an issue that they are not sure about yet.

Do you know what the zoning is for the land on the west side of the river is? AKA land north of Pine Creek water treatment plant? Is it going to be zoned for industrial land, or parkland, or is it going to be eventually residential land as well? It's a big issue to look at because there is no way they should cough up 1.8 million for a custom home just to eventually look across at a gravel plant.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody know how pricing is going with new builds these days, is there room to leverage "free upgrades" or significant dollars off list price? Or are the builders just raking it all in and happy to go to the next customer?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The builders won't budge off the list price, but depending on the builder you may be able to negotiate on the upgrades... My wife and I are in the process of building a new home, and there wasn't really any room for negotiation with us, but the builder did provide $8000 in free upgrades.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Obviously we have the 2 types of builds
Custom after buying a lot & a standard builder in a new community.
As for the new community side, there is no reason at all you should not have a realtor on your side. Too often someone comes to me mid way through building with a hundred questions. The builder won't recognize me as a representative of you unless we showed up on day 1 together and people expect me to come in as a volunteer and help out with the process. (Im not referencing this thread.... just a phone call I receive once a week ...perhaps it belongs in the gear grinder thread)

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #16
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

An interesting new building tech that is working its way out here from Quebec. A flood house in Elbow Park that will be building new with it this summer:

http://www.bonestructure.ca/en/index.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #17
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Anybody know how pricing is going with new builds these days, is there room to leverage "free upgrades" or significant dollars off list price? Or are the builders just raking it all in and happy to go to the next customer?
We are building by Aspen for $242 per square foot. $53 for basement. Not much movement on the price because the area is so hot right now. Our upgrades like more windows, 10 ft main floor ceilings, triple garage and in slab heating are all extra.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_G View Post
We are building by Aspen for $242 per square foot. $53 for basement. Not much movement on the price because the area is so hot right now. Our upgrades like more windows, 10 ft main floor ceilings, triple garage and in slab heating are all extra.
Through which builder is this? I didn't know builders gave a firm square foot price. Is this in the estates?

Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
ryangb
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
Through which builder is this? I didn't know builders gave a firm square foot price. Is this in the estates?

Pretty easy to figure out. Take your structure cost with all upgrades, divide by total square feet.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #20
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangb View Post
Pretty easy to figure out. Take your structure cost with all upgrades, divide by total square feet.
Yeah, I was assuming it was a custom build and that was a set price to work with. Does that price include the lot or not? I'm just curious as I finished building a house in Chaparral Valley last year and the total cost to build on my end was well under $140/ square foot. Pretty good profit being pulled in these days.

Tags
calgary homes , new builds , realtor