Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #121
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
He is just as Swedish as either of them.
Don't think so, isn't his mother a Finn?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #122
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Zero prospects? Bennett and Jankowski are the 2 players that are looking at filling the 2nd 3rd line role. If Backlund had more years on his contract it wouldn't be a discussion but next year he could command big bucks and if the Flamesmdont sign him they could lose him for nothing. They couldnsign him and have trouble keeping Bennett, Tkachuk, or extending Brodie.
If the problem is cap constraints, you feverishly look to rid yourself in the $20M of deadweight that you're spending on the corpses of Stajan, Wideman, Brouwer, Smid, Raymond, and Bouma well before you trade your best centerman, two-way forward and penalty killer.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #123
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zero prospects? Bennett and Jankowski are the 2 players that are looking at filling the 2nd 3rd line role. If Backlund had more years on his contract it wouldn't be a discussion but next year he could command big bucks and if the Flamesmdont sign him they could lose him for nothing. They couldnsign him and have trouble keeping Bennett, Tkachuk, or extending Brodie.
When Bennett and/or Janko score 50 points in Backlund's role next year, it'll be a good problem to have.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #124
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
When Bennett and/or Janko score 50 points in Backlund's role next year, it'll be a good problem to have.
That's true and could result in the Flames letting Backlund walk for nothing next summer. If the team doubts the future of Bennett or Jankowski they should pretty much do what it takes to keep Backlund.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #125
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's true and could result in the Flames letting Backlund walk for nothing next summer. If the team doubts the future of Bennett or Jankowski they should pretty much do what it takes to keep Backlund.
Having Thornton and Marleau didn't stop the Sharks from keeping Couture and Pavelski. Having more than 2 top six centres is a good problem to have, not a bad one.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #126
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's say the Flames could do something around Backlund and Simmonds?

That is the type of deal I would be seeking. It would have to solve one of the key needs long term. High end top 4 D, long term top line RW, or long term number 1 goalie?
Old 04-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #127
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

without backlund last year the flames don't make the playoffs. he was our best overall player this year. he's the reason other lines can play in the offensive zone, and he scores quite a few himself and makes all of his teammates better. if the game is close and you want to make a big push, or you're ahead and want to preserve the lead, no other forward on the roster or as a prospect comes close to the impact that backlund has and with the same consistency. should have been by all accounts a selke finalist. he's also not old and loves the flames.

how is it even possible that are people still undervaluing him? replace him with hanzal?
trade him while 'his value is high'? moves like that are how you end up picking bottom 10 for a decade. his value is high because he is an incredible player, and if the flames want to go anywhere, they'll need all that value
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #128
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stanley Cup teams are built with depth down the middle. Treliving, assuming that there are no surprises, will likely do everything to keep Backlund here. Judging by the previous re-signings, I'm confident it'll be reasonable and fit within the team structure.

Hoping that Bennett and Jankowski taking major strides to become playoff team calibre 2nd and 3rd line centers is placing incredibly high and unnecessary expectations. Nothing wrong with having one of the two moonlight as a winger time to time with the ability to take draws.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #129
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously any contract is dependent on price. If his new contract is a liability, he will likely be traded. That's the business of hockey.

But it would not be wise to pursue trading him. Backlund is key component of his line, of the team's defense and shutting down opponents, as well as the penalty kill. Even if he reverts back to his younger production numbers, he's still a good centremen.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #130
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Bennett emerges as a legit top 2 and Jankowski slots in as a #3, when here's what we have

#1 centre, #2 centre, #2 centre, #3 centre!!!!

Thats a team that can win the cup with a good goalie and our top 3 defense!
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #131
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
If Bennett emerges as a legit top 2 and Jankowski slots in as a #3, when here's what we have

#1 centre, #2 centre, #2 centre, #3 centre!!!!

Thats a team that can win the cup with a good goalie and our top 3 defense!
The emergence of Lazar and Jankowski do not make Backlund expendable, but I can't say the same about Stajan. In fact, with Bouma and Stajan on the bottom line, that's 5.3 million playing 10 mins a night. Add Brouwer to that and it's nearly 10 million. Not exactly a good use of cap dollars
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #132
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
without backlund last year the flames don't make the playoffs. he was our best overall player this year. he's the reason other lines can play in the offensive zone, and he scores quite a few himself and makes all of his teammates better. if the game is close and you want to make a big push, or you're ahead and want to preserve the lead, no other forward on the roster or as a prospect comes close to the impact that backlund has and with the same consistency. should have been by all accounts a selke finalist. he's also not old and loves the flames.

how is it even possible that are people still undervaluing him? replace him with hanzal?
trade him while 'his value is high'? moves like that are how you end up picking bottom 10 for a decade. his value is high because he is an incredible player, and if the flames want to go anywhere, they'll need all that value

I am definitely putting the cart before the horse with this thread but I do believe that Monahan, Bennett, and Jankowski can be the top 3 centers of this team when it truly can contend in 2-3 years.

I am looking to move from a position of strength to add to a position of need and avoid giving a big contract to a guy that will be 29 when it starts. Having said that if Backlund signs for $5M or less you keep him. If he wants more I prefer the Flamesmuse that money on their young forwards and top 4D.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #133
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the end it will depend on Backlund and his demands. If he wants too much money over too long of a term, he could price himself out of Calgary's plans. I like Backlund as much as the next guy, be this isn't Crosby we are talking about here.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #134
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backlund is young enough to be considered core. Giordano on the other hand . . . . .
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #135
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Backlund is young enough to be considered core. Giordano on the other hand . . . . .
If only the Flames had a potential top 3D to replace him with I could tend to agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #136
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If only the Flames had a potential top 3D to replace him with I could tend to agree.

Dont get me wrong the guy is our leader, but he is 34 and we are in my opinion 2-3 years away from being a serious contender. So in the hope we dont sit on him to long like we did with Jarome why not look into what he could fetch us in return. I would never trade him unless we had a legit young NHL ready prospect and picks. So it wont happen, but what is to say a team like an Edmonton or Columbus who feel they are ready to make a push before we do.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #137
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm all for the sell high notion, it's what's kept the Hawks afloat, with many moves almost head scratchers but turning out to be great in the end (Ladd, Bfuglien, Sharp, Oduya, etc)

But I think this is too early. Extend him and see where this team is in 6 months, give him a limited NTC that assures him it won't be a fire sale, but gives the team an out if things get crowded.

Add in Backlund's place in the culture of this team and I think you have to be very careful not to move him a) before someone can take his place and b) before seeing what his contract demands are.

He's a huge part of the fabric now.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #138
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am definitely putting the cart before the horse with this thread but I do believe that Monahan, Bennett, and Jankowski can be the top 3 centers of this team when it truly can contend in 2-3 years.

I am looking to move from a position of strength to add to a position of need and avoid giving a big contract to a guy that will be 29 when it starts. Having said that if Backlund signs for $5M or less you keep him. If he wants more I prefer the Flamesmuse that money on their young forwards and top 4D.
If, and big if, the Flames can land a legit 1st line RW and starting goaltender, doesn't the window to be a true contender open next year instead of not for 2 to 3 years?
Maybe not, i dunno.

But expansion might provide more opportunity to acquire that talent than would normally be the case in any other year.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #139
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm all for the sell high notion, it's what's kept the Hawks afloat, with many moves almost head scratchers but turning out to be great in the end (Ladd, Bfuglien, Sharp, Oduya, etc)

But I think this is too early. Extend him and see where this team is in 6 months, give him a limited NTC that assures him it won't be a fire sale, but gives the team an out if things get crowded.

Add in Backlund's place in the culture of this team and I think you have to be very careful not to move him a) before someone can take his place and b) before seeing what his contract demands are.

I am all for this. Really I think the Flames need to decide if Backlund is part of the future this summer. Sign him to an extension in July or see what is out there in terms of a trade. I just do not want him to be a pending UFA and the Flames lose him for nothing because he wants 6x6. I look at Fans Nelson on the island and the fact he got $5.5x6 and the Islanders got nothing. They were smart not to pay him that much but lost a good player with nothing in return.

I think the Flames need another year to see what they truly have in Bennett and Jankowski which makes it really unfortunate that Backlund only has 1 year left on his deal
Old 04-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #140
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't want the Flames to be in a Bruins situation where they overpaid for valuable guys like Krejci, Kelly, Peverly and end up trading Seguin and Hamilton largely due to cap constraints. The Flames core 4 are Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk and those are the guys where the $6+M should be reserved. There is room for some $4-5M forwards and Backlund could fit in that group.

I just do not want to lose him for nothing or overpay to keep him and end up moving a younger player that fits better with the age group of the team. Lastly this discussion isn't even possible without Jankowski in the system who by all accounts is the real deal (big body 3rd line centre with some offense ability). It would be a risky trade for the Flames but if they could get a legit RW, or 23-28 right shot D maybe it makes some sense?

Backlund + Hickey for Strome + Hamonic?

Get a guy who can play centre or wing and a big shutdown Dman signed to a good deal for a prospect that might not sign with us and Backlund

If we win a Stanley Cup and then have to lose a few guys, I'm fine with it.

And from all indications they traded Seguin and Hamilton because they didn't fit their mold in terms of personality rather than cap issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

You'll notice that none of the guys the Blackhawks got rid of (and some were because of their own screw up with qualifying offers remember) were centres. They pay big for centres - see Kruger and Anisimov.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote