Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Post Tension Cable Buildings

I am looking to buy a condo downtown, primarily looking into the Beltline area and was wondering about post tension cable buildings as I am trying to stay away from them, but thing is in my price range and the places I have looked all had them. My question: is there a website or something I can go on and see what buildings have post tension cables so I can narrow my searches? Or am I SOL?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if there is a search you can do. Are you using a Realtor? They should be able to tell you if the building you are interested in is post tension cable or not.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

^this is true. A realtor will be able to tell you what is and is not post tension. Most older buildings in the beltline do have post tension as it was a magical way to improve on the design/layout of buildings.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a post tension cable building if it has been maintained properly. I do not have the exact figures in front of me but assuming the complex is testing on the regular and replacing when need be, all is well. It is not cheap to test and replace which has many complexes push it to the side which eventually leads to 1 very large bill.
It can be a challenge to have your mortgage insured on certain post tension buildings if the insurer has red flagged it as a building of concern. Again, something your realtor or mortgage broker would be helping you with.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As Realtor 1- there can be concerns with some buildings with post tension cabling and if there are they may not be insurable by CMHC.

The flags on these buildings can be removed as long as the management company has maintained the building etc on an ongoing basis.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Click here to View current Mortgage Rates

Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stay away from post tension buildings. You're asking for trouble. I live in a high-end condo near downtown and thought our PTC system was being properly maintained. Turns out we need to replace several cables in the parkade at a cost of $1 to $3 million.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

There is an increased risk associated with buying into one of these buildings. The problems were more pronounced for construction in the 70's and 80's. There was a huge issue with Western Canadian Place for example which resulted in massive costs (but that is a commercial space).

If the building was constructed between 1975 and 1985 or so, make significant inquiries. I think by now the issue is so well known it is maintained, but then you are relying upon your condo board, and then in turn on the inspection company.

PTC is still used and I understand the systems have improved, but there is still an increased maintenance cost in exchange for the better floor plate. And yes, they can be a perfectly good construction system with signficant benefits, but that includes cheaper initial construction costs.

Last edited by Kjesse; 02-07-2016 at 08:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to chime in that most lenders will require mortgage default insurance on PTC. Only CMHC will insure these. Genworth & Canada Guaranty will not.
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post: