Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Parvovirus cases rise in Okotoks and South Calgary

Just a heads up to any pet owners on CP.

Quote:
The Elizabeth Street Pet Hospital in Okotoks has seen a jump in the number of cases with puppies infected with canine parvovirus.

The illness is transmitted through infected feces and often comes with nasty symptoms for dogs, according to veterinarian Amber Hutchinson.

"These puppies end up getting vomiting and diarrhea. Oftentimes they have blood in their stools, so they will be losing blood and fluid," Hutchinson said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3556123
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pick up your dog crap people !!!!!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My wife was in playing with all the puppies at the pet store in town that recently came down with parvo.

We have (2) 15 year old terriers at home that we are watching pretty closely. I'd really hate to see them get sick.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never once NOT picked up my dogs crap.

WTF is wrong with some dog owners? If you don't pick up your dog's poo, that makes you one of the worst types of human beings.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
My wife was in playing with all the puppies at the pet store in town that recently came down with parvo.

We have (2) 15 year old terriers at home that we are watching pretty closely. I'd really hate to see them get sick.
Hope all will be well with your pups,

This brings up an interesting discussion CTV had.

Is it alright to toss a properly tied bag of dog poop in the black bins, For me I have no issue with it. I'd rather have properly disposed crap in my black bin over having someone just leave it on the lawn.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to post something on this last week because I've been dealing with five very sick puppies and have become a bit of an expert in this. It's frustrating because there seems to be different answers everywhere you look. Picking up after your pet is certainly important. But as soon as it hits the ground that area becomes infected so avoiding those high poop areas I important. Most older dogs have likely been exposed at some point and have developed natural anti bodies. However do not skip this vaccination or its regular boosters. The virus changes so keep it as current as possible. And if your dog has any immunity issues, stay far away from dog parks etc.

Bleach....chloride bleach works as a disinfectant. But if you have stuff your can't bleach...Virkon is available at UFA stores and is by far the best all purpose cleaner I have found. Washing your hands or clothes does FA. You may have to cry, threaten, or simply steal the stuff because you need a drug id number to buy it. I did all three. I'd wash dog stuff in it every month or so.

3k x 5 on the vet bill. But they are all home and in different stages of recovery. F this virus.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

how often do healthy adult dogs get parvo, I thought this was mainly something that puppies get when their immune systems aren't very strong. My brother had a choco lab puppy who died from this, it was very sad!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Hope all will be well with your pups,

This brings up an interesting discussion CTV had.

Is it alright to toss a properly tied bag of dog poop in the black bins, For me I have no issue with it. I'd rather have properly disposed crap in my black bin over having someone just leave it on the lawn.
It's not an exclusively either/or situation though. If you throw a full poop bag into someone's black bin and the bin was empty to begin with there is a good chance said bag will putrefy and stick to the bottom of the bin even when the bin is being emptied into the truck. It's never an okay thing to force strangers to clean up feces that are your responsibility.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
how often do healthy adult dogs get parvo, I thought this was mainly something that puppies get when their immune systems aren't very strong. My brother had a choco lab puppy who died from this, it was very sad!
I think it's pretty rare for immunized, healthy adult dogs to get parvo. It does happen but not something to be worried about. Disclaimer:

heep223 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post: