Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #21
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
It's not that it's not worth reporting, it just highlights the difference between men and women's experience in the world. This one just highlighting sexual harassment in the work place.
How does this highlight that? I guess it highlights that it can happen to anyone - men or woman. But that doesn't seem to be your point.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #22
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
No one's laughing and saying it shouldn't be reported.

What I'm stating is that if 1 in 3 women are sexually harassed in the work place, we should be seeing a hell of a lot more media attention around the issue. And we don't. We may see some attention brought up, like your example, but a lot of it is swept under the rug. The way this issue is reported on is the equivalent of putting a band aid on a someone hit with a grenade.

If you want to go with the narrative that I don't think this is important, or that men don't get sexually harassed, then you'd be incorrect.

I'm stating there is a huge issue around sexual harassment in the work place, and it's a systemic issue and this case (while valid and real) is not statistically relevant to the actual problem. Which doesn't take away any validity from these two mens experience.

I find it ridiculous what the media chooses to report on. That's all.
It isn't swept under the rug. If the victims go to the media with a story of harrassment and a prominent employer not treating it appropriatley it is a story.

Do you have examples of stories the media has chosen NOT to cover. Or should they be chasing down all victims of sexual harassment to cover their story? I'm sure the victims would love that.

This case isn't stastically relevant, of course, but isn't being presented as such.
The story is two victims, regardless of gender, suffered horrible abuse and they allege their employer didn't handle it appropriately.

You seem to be objecting to something that is of your own creation.

People love to blame the media, and sometimes it is justified. But I fail to see what they did wrong here.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #23
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
So you don't think that if two women suffered this level of harassment at the 911 centre, and went to the media, that they wouldn't cover it? Really?
Of course they would.
Yeah, I think that's Cole43's disconnect with this story. This was a big enough story, (considering where it happened and that complaints appear to have gone ignored and that the alleged perpetrators were promoted) that if the details were all the same except the genders reversed it still would have been a story.

It's a story that was coming out due to a bunch of circumstances, and Cole43 is incorrectly assuming that the story was published because men were the victims and everything he's posted in this thread has been based on that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #24
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So you don't think that if two women suffered this level of harassment at the 911 centre, and went to the media, that they wouldn't cover it? Really?
Of course they would.
I don't know, I just think it would be a lesser chance if the story didn't have the traditional roles flipped.

Quote:
How does this highlight that? I guess it highlights that it can happen to anyone - men or woman. But that doesn't seem to be your point.
Do you believe that men and women do not have a very different experience in our society around similar issues (such as harassment, safety, wage, career opportunities, intellect) and that there is not still to this day an inequality between genders?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #25
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, I just think it would be a lesser chance if the story didn't have the traditional roles flipped.
Yet the evidence does not support that

Quote:
Do you believe that men and women do not have a very different experience in our society around similar issues (such as harassment, safety, wage, career opportunities, intellect) and that there is not still to this day an inequality between genders?
I believe that is all true. But that's not what this story is about.
Do you expect CTV to cover all that in this story? That's not what the new items is. The news item is that there are two victims who alledge they were horribly treated and their employer didn't do anything about it.
That's the story.
That's what is being covered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #26
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't swept under the rug. If the victims go to the media with a story of harrassment and a prominent employer not treating it appropriatley it is a story.

Do you have examples of stories the media has chosen NOT to cover. Or should they be chasing down all victims of sexual harassment to cover their story? I'm sure the victims would love that.

This case isn't stastically relevant, of course, but isn't being presented as such.
The story is two victims, regardless of gender, suffered horrible abuse and they allege their employer didn't handle it appropriately.

You seem to be objecting to something that is of your own creation.

People love to blame the media, and sometimes it is justified. But I fail to see what they did wrong here.
The reason why people don't go to the media with sexual harassment claims is the same reason why over half of rape victims don't go to the police. Because they're likely not to be believed, and it can be a character suicide.

My point is a macro view of the issue of sexual harassment and it's reporting in society and not a micro view of this particular case.

I apologize for derailing the thread.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #27
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
The reason why people don't go to the media with sexual harassment claims is the same reason why over half of rape victims don't go to the police. Because they're likely not to be believed, and it can be a character suicide.
So if this is true, these two people should be commended for their courage, and the media should be commended for covering an important story.
Anyways that's my last comment on it. I just don't get what you are trying to say.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #28
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

My point is a macro view of the issue of sexual harassment and it's reporting in society and not a micro view of this particular case.

I apologize for derailing the thread.
You're basically contributing to the problem. Your posts suggest that you don't believe these two victims just because they are men - not anything to do with their actual story.

If your point is actually a macro view of sexual harassment, you wouldn't be bringing up the inequality between men and women, because nobody, including the victims, played the gender card. The only person bringing up gender is you.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #29
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Which is a valid point, except you seemed to start out laughing that it was men and stating that women get this everyday. You completely had this is as a men vs women thing and argued that way for most of the thread, only changing your tune now.

You don't have to end on a point, it's okay to just say "yeah, you know what, I had this one wrong".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #30
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the most salacious point needs to be repeated here for those too lazy to click through

Quote:
Then, a few months later, Austin and Robertson received an email from two female colleagues; one, their acting supervisor.

In it, the women talked about sex toys and having intercourse with Austin, saying ‘we will wreck him’.

“I couldn’t believe this was happening while I work for the City of Calgary,” said Austin.

Reading it as a rape threat, Austin handed the email to the head of 911, Richard Hinse.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #31
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
You're basically contributing to the problem. Your posts suggest that you don't believe these two victims just because they are men - not anything to do with their actual story.

If your point is actually a macro view of sexual harassment, you wouldn't be bringing up the inequality between men and women, because nobody, including the victims, played the gender card. The only person bringing up gender is you.
I never said or inferred that I didn't believe them once. Just to be very clear about that. I was referring to the representation of sexual harassment in the media, and what is reported and what isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Which is a valid point, except you seemed to start out laughing that it was men and stating that women get this everyday. You completely had this is as a men vs women thing and argued that way for most of the thread, only changing your tune now.

You don't have to end on a point, it's okay to just say "yeah, you know what, I had this one wrong".
I laughed not that it had happened. I want to be clear about that. I was laughing more so about the fact that this issue is so under reported and ignored from a female perspective. I could have started this discussion under much clearer terms, but in no way do I think the act wasn't disgusting. What I think is disgusting is how the idea of harassment is communicated to us as a public.

So I apologize for not being clear and for not communicating my point effectively. In no way do I think these two men should not have come forward with it, and my point really had nothing to do with them in particular. It's just a microcosm of a much larger issue.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #32
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also important to note is that a male at this call Center was fired after a sexual harassment complaint by one of the women who is now accused in this case.

Sounds like a crappy work environment. Honestly not shocked as the times I've had to call 911 in this city I've been very disappointed in the professionalism shown.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #33
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're kidding me right? If this happened to female employees at the City of Calgary 911 Call Centre, the media would be all over it, and you'd have SJW all over it, accusing the city of sweeping it under the rug. I actually think the opposite and think there is less coverage of this because they are male.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #34
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the title of the thread should say "allegedly". These are allegations, after all. Don't want to smear a possibly innocent person.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 AM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha give it up, nobody took the bait the first time either.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 AM   #36
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bait? My stars, what an accusation!

It could be ulterior motives, who knows? And innocent until proven guilty still exists in Canada! I'd rather 10 guilty people go free than one innocent person have their life ruined!

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #37
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
You're kidding me right? If this happened to female employees at the City of Calgary 911 Call Centre, the media would be all over it, and you'd have SJW all over it, accusing the city of sweeping it under the rug. I actually think the opposite and think there is less coverage of this because they are male.
I didn't realize looking at macro socio problems was being "SJW". Better rename my undergrad. I also don't appreciate personal statements about my character and commenting on what you think I'd do in a situation.

In saying that, you're allowed to disagree with my point.

Last edited by Cole436; 04-27-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 AM   #38
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the part I found confusing:

Quote:
In 2014, Austin says a supervisor pursued a sexual relationship. Texting him messages like, ‘I find you very hot and sexy’ and discussing sexual fantasies.

“When someone who is your boss extends an invitation like that, there’s no real good response, there’s no way you can win in that situation,” said Austin.

He reciprocated, which is something that doesn’t surprise Mount Royal University Human Resources Professor, Melanie Peacock.
Does that mean he reciprocated as in they had a sexual relationship or does that mean he sent back messages of sexual nature? I don't know that it matters either way, but I'm curious. If they had an ongoing sexual relationship though I think that it would cast the other messages in a different light?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #39
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

The white knight and SJW is strong in this thread.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #40
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This is the part I found confusing:

Does that mean he reciprocated as in they had a sexual relationship or does that mean he sent back messages of sexual nature? I don't know that it matters either way, but I'm curious. If they had an ongoing sexual relationship though I think that it would cast the other messages in a different light?
I took it to mean he sent a message back that was explicit but the story wasn't clear. If he banged his boss and now is crying foul it sounds more like a jilted lover tbqh.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote