Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lets Talk About Activity Trackers

So who has such a device and what type of device do you have? and what are your pro/con lists?

Yesterday my daughter bought herself a Fitbit Blaze - so on the spur of the moment I picked myself up a Fitbit Surge; however, I have to admit I really love the look of the Garmin Fenix but the price is $600'ish and I am not sure I want to spend that much on this device.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fitbit Charge

I like the device but the App is not reliable on my phone (Blackberry Z10) since they came out with an update about a month ago. It takes forever to sync - assuming it syncs at all. Works great though on my iPad. Just wish the device itself had a battery level indicator to let you know when it is low and needs charging. By the time you see it on the app it's too late.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fitbit Charge.

Works great, but I've had two and both of them have had the part of the strap near the display start to come off after about 8 months. However both times with a quick email and info to their support team they were replaced free of charge.

It lasts about 6-7 days on a full charge.

Syncs no problem on IOS, and I enjoy having other friends with it on the app so you can see how you are doing against them. Newer updates have been adding neat features like tracking if you took at least 250 steps per hour in a time frame you can specify. I also like the sleep tracking.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently lost my Garmin Vivosmart, so I'm looking to replacing it. Did a bunch of research, and the one I'm going to get is the Garmin Vivoactive HR, which is due out in the next couple of weeks. It has the best of both worlds with a wrist based heart monitor, but I can still pair it up to my Garmin chest strap when I hit the gym.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
iamajai
Draft Pick

I use a Pebble Time watch which tracks steps and sleep (no heart rate monitoring though), but can provide notifications from my paired phone and has watchfaces with weather and traffic.
iamajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I recently lost my Garmin Vivosmart, so I'm looking to replacing it. Did a bunch of research, and the one I'm going to get is the Garmin Vivoactive HR, which is due out in the next couple of weeks. It has the best of both worlds with a wrist based heart monitor, but I can still pair it up to my Garmin chest strap when I hit the gym.
100% agree. I think the vivoactive hr is the best bang for your buck hands down. The only other activity tracker that has gps, is fully waterproof, built in heart rate monitoring, and has swimming and golf modes (my two main activities these days) is the Fenix3, which is double the price.

Unfortunately, I read recently that release isn't until June. Can't wait.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife has a Fitbit Charge HR she got for Christmas. She seems to like it. Takes a while to sync with her iPhone. It has a hard time picking the correct activity for her sometimes (one time on a bike ride it thought she was on a treadmill). Seems to work okay otherwise.

Worst complaint is that if the battery goes completely dead, she has a hard time getting it to charge and turn on again. You have to hold buttons down to restart the device, sacrifice a small animal, and say a special incantation and even then you might have to try it a few times before it works.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Fitbit Charge.

Works great, but I've had two and both of them have had the part of the strap near the display start to come off after about 8 months. However both times with a quick email and info to their support team they were replaced free of charge.

It lasts about 6-7 days on a full charge.

Syncs no problem on IOS, and I enjoy having other friends with it on the app so you can see how you are doing against them. Newer updates have been adding neat features like tracking if you took at least 250 steps per hour in a time frame you can specify. I also like the sleep tracking.
Thanks for the info. I have a Fitbit Charge HR, and this is just starting to happen about 7 months in. I'll see if I can maybe snag a replacement.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Not helpful to the thread, but am I the only one that doesn't get the point of these things at all?

I do activities because they are fun, not to stare at my wrist and check my stats the entire time.

If I'm getting fat, the mirror seems to be cheaper and more effective.

Is it more of a leading vs. lagging indicator thing?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Not helpful to the thread, but am I the only one that doesn't get the point of these things at all?

I do activities because they are fun, not to stare at my wrist and check my stats the entire time.

For me, I think it was just random sense of accomplishment. Plus the game aspect where you try not to break a multi day activity combo helps give that extra push on certain days too.

A way to somewhat quantify activity per day is nice too. Reaching 100% jiggling feels better than ticking off activities to do each day (ie: 30 pushups a day for a week).

I used to use an up24. Then it stopped syncing properly and I never bothered replacing it.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a Garmin vivosmart. I never used it to keep track of fitness. I liked that it linked to my phone and would vibrate when my phone rang. I found this useful in the night and if I got a call from my kid/s for a ride after some pops, the phone wouldn't wake my wife. I could also quickly see who was calling or texting if I was busy and wouldn't do the obvious check my phone. But for a fitness tracker, I didn't use it. I just gave it to my brother who had surgery and his dr wants him tracking his walking.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

Really, it's just another toy to play with. I like having neat gadgets to play with.

I'll admit though, I do like having a heart rate monitor. When I'm on the treadmill, I do intervals, and I use my heart rate to monitor rather than time. I start each interval cycle when my heart rate dips down to a certain level. Didn't think an HR monitor was that big a deal until I started using one. Now, I can't seem to gauge it properly without one.

And to be honest, I really hate exercise. It is definitely not fun for me. If there was no health benefit, I'd never do any type of exercise ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #13
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I had/have a vivosmart, which I love, but I've killed two of them now and I don't think I'll replace it.

Used it similarly for notifications and as a watch, as well as the 1 hour idle notification and the personal alarm.

But I killed the display on two of them somehow, so I can't recommend them anymore on the basis of poor quality.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, my Vivosmart s display also started kind of going after awhile. We all got one at work for free for our company's 40th anniversary, but not sure I would pay retail for it.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Yah, my Vivosmart s display also started kind of going after awhile. We all got one at work for free for our company's 40th anniversary, but not sure I would pay retail for it.

We work at the same place
Old 04-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #16
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

On the topic of activity trackers, can anyone recommend a tracker that shows your heart rate? My girlfriend needs to keep her heart rate under a certain bpm, and is considering buying a device.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #17
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Recently got a fitbit blaze....

Good:
Looks like a semi-stylish smart watch
I love having 24hr heart rate tracking
Motivated me to move, even though I know the targets are arbitrary.
The app has pretty useful info, and I find it more useful than mapmyrun, which I used a couple of years ago.

Not great:
Syncing is pissing me off
Smart watch features are hit and miss, per the above.
Needs a custom charger (can't use standard USB micro)
Linkage to phone for GPS tracking of workouts is sketchy.

Overall, I love it. My resting heart rate has dropped >10bpm in the last 4 weeks because I'm motivated to move. And I find the graph of heart rate very motivating by itself.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions about this particular tracker.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I am going to return my Fitbit surge and I may get a blaze, or may get nothing.

My issue is I don't really like the look of most of theses watches. I do like the look of the Fenix 3 - but the price is more than I am willing to pay and suunuto also has a nice looking product; however, it ultimately seems I don't much care for the look of most of these watches and the ones I do. Like, need an external heart rate strap of something
Old 04-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #19
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a Fenix 2, which I like quite a lot. It doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles of the latest devices (no HR monitor for example), but I mostly use it for tracking distance and pacing. The battery lasts a long time too (when not using GPS anyway) and only used about 65% of the battery on a 3 week trip in Ecuador (the device already being almost 2 years old by that point).

Most of the devices now seem to have HR monitors, but I've yet to see an actually accurate one from wrist measurements. My main problem with most of these devices is they're basically useless for the vast majority of exercises I do. Hitting a step count just doesn't do it for me.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

what's the best for calorie burn tracking during exercise?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote