Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #3121
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most years the route is a bit different for the RTCC. I've done 5 of them. I think the shortest was 106km, longest 130 of the ones I did.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #3122
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My longest was several years ago on the island, where I rode from Victoria to Port Renfrew and back which was 250k and took me about 9.5hours solo. I miss those days when I thought that was a good idea and could actually throw it down.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #3123
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Penticton Fondo is awesome. My favorite. Have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #3124
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

My longest ride, as previously stated, was the 122 km Whistler granfondo. Outside of that I did 70 kms last Sunday, and I did 60 kms three days before that, and another 60 kms on Tuesday this week. I'll likely do 60 kms tomorrow and then a long ride on Sunday in the 70-80 kms range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #3125
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
The Penticton Fondo is awesome. My favorite. Have fun.
a friend of mine did it one of the years when Eddy Merckx showed up. Got to meet the man himself, that would have been cool. Neat that his son has settled in the Okanogan.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #3126
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My only advice is to try and take your own drink tablets/electrolytes. When I did it, it was HOT. Like 40 degrees. I sweat a lot, and I assumed they would have a good quality sports drink, so I just went with it. It was gatorade. And by km 115, I was cramping, and my stomach was not happy with all of the sugar. I had to take a break at the stop, and let things settle before I could move on. Fortunately they had good stuff at that stop, and they let me have some of that. I learnt that ride to always carry what I like, and what agrees with my body. I finished the 160km, but my last 45 was quite a bit slower than my first 115. Beautiful ride.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #3127
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My only advice is to try and take your own drink tablets/electrolytes. When I did it, it was HOT. Like 40 degrees. I sweat a lot, and I assumed they would have a good quality sports drink, so I just went with it. It was gatorade. And by km 115, I was cramping, and my stomach was not happy with all of the sugar. I had to take a break at the stop, and let things settle before I could move on. Fortunately they had good stuff at that stop, and they let me have some of that. I learnt that ride to always carry what I like, and what agrees with my body. I finished the 160km, but my last 45 was quite a bit slower than my first 115. Beautiful ride.
I have really gotten into nutrition with my increased cycling. I'm a big fan of Vega products. Their electrolyte powder is excellent, and I now like it better than powerade. I'll be bringing a few gels and a couple bars on the ride. I find a big key for me is the recovery drink and the sport protein powder after. I like the pre-workout energizer for how it helps me through the rides/workouts, but it's not as essential as the others. I like the berry versions of all their products, as I find the chocolate and vanilla ones taste terrible. I think that's because I like chocolate with sugar, and these taste like fake chocolate.

Judging by the map, the last 20 kms are downhill, so as long as I make it to 140 I should be okay.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #3128
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

the last 20km is downhill...kind of. Once you hit town, you are like, "I made it!", but then you feel like, wtf? I'm climbing. Those last 5km through town are the worst. And it's not hard, but just hard enough after being on the bike for that long that you feel like someone kicked you in the nuts and walked off laughing. Sorry, I'm being over dramatic. It's not that bad.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #3129
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the last 20km is downhill...kind of. Once you hit town, you are like, "I made it!", but then you feel like, wtf? I'm climbing. Those last 5km through town are the worst. And it's not hard, but just hard enough after being on the bike for that long that you feel like someone kicked you in the nuts and walked off laughing. Sorry, I'm being over dramatic. It's not that bad.
The last 10 kms in Whistler suuuuucked. I kept looking at the girl I was riding beside and asking "Is this the last hill?". She just kept shaking her head and looking like she had to tell me Santa wasn't real.

I went through the finish line and did a double thumbs up pose. I then immediately slumped over my handlebars. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know the pictures were being taken about a 50 metres after the finish line, and I look like I'm dying.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #3130
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Unfortunately for me, I didn't know the pictures were being taken about a 50 metres after the finish line, and I look like I'm dying.
You're posting that photo right?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #3131
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Had a beautiful ride in this morning with a bunch of personal records. But now I'm looking at all the wind and realizing it must have been behind me the entire way. Now regret is creeping in. I know it'll be a full headwind the entire way home.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #3132
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, it's gonna be like yesterday. My ride home was almost 7 minutes longer than average because of the headwind yesterday. Brutal.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #3133
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

we must all live in the south as I had the same issue yesterday as well.

wind is cool as well.......
Old 04-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #3134
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode up bragging rights and Merlin today....both seemed to have more elevation gain than I remember.

I struggled with three parts of the ride, some of the early going on BR, and two of the rock gardens on Merlin.

Also stopped at cycle 22x, the boys there are very friendly and had a few very nice rigs for sales. Picked myself up a bontranger flash pump for $130 (my buddy bought a bike there and I used his discount).

Thinking about riding goat creek next weekend, but family plans may kybosh that.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #3135
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Let me know if Goat creek is dry, would like to do it in 2 weeks. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #3136
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My longest is around 140km of mild free-ride trail. Full disclosure: Shuttle assisted. Actual longest in a day is under 80 on Calgary pathways.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #3137
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Rode up bragging rights and Merlin today....both seemed to have more elevation gain than I remember.
We did Merlin today in a different loop than I've done before. Telephone Loop -> Disconnect -> Long Distance -> Reconnect -> Merlin. Made the elevation gain more tolerable that way I found. Longer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^Let me know if Goat creek is dry, would like to do it in 2 weeks. Thanks!
It's dry-ish. Half was great, other half was a bit muddy but not bad. That's second-hand info from last week, so take it as you will.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #3138
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ read something on Facebook about a new way to do Merlin that alleviates traffic on the way there. Wonder if this is the route the Facebook folks were talking about.

Thought about riding today, but legs felt heavy. Used the day to get some stuff done around the house. Hoping to commute 4x this week.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #3139
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Rode Fernie this weekend. Conditions were excellent. Did Ridgemont Saturday morning, ecoterrorist, deadfall, oh dear. In the afternoon rode Roots up to hyperextension. I was bagged, so we turned around and rode the rest of the roots loop. Yesterday we did Project 9. Holy crap does that climb get steep after the powerline. But so worth it. The downhill was so much fun. I was demoing a 27.5 plus bike all weekend. I was sceptical, but I have to say, the traction was incredible. I was riding stuff I couldn't on my 29er. It was pretty much cheating on the downhills.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #3140
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ what, no lazy lizard?