Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #381
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, you watched a couple of his videos, and you're by no means someone who should care about what he says, so that's a success of sorts right there. I don't really know if you can say he's not a good provocateur; if you think the purpose of what he does is to provoke a reaction, he's really very good at it because people seem to absolutely lose their minds when he has a talk. Just watch this if you can manage to get through it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANgl54duC0A
I think I was just more curious as to who he was and why has relevant. The relationship between "free speech advocates" and the fringe left is hilarious, as both sides come off as complete narcissistic opportunists. Neither accurately reflect what actually happens on college campuses, at least in my experience. I just finished up at one of the most left-wing universities in the country, in a typically left-wing program and I don't think I had a single class where someone objected to the content or asked for a trigger warning. The closest thing I ever saw in my four years there was my healthy sexuality prof advising the class ahead of time when we were getting to the sexual assault unit, which obviously makes sense.

I guess there were a couple of instances in which guest speakers at the university or debates were interrupted by student protesters but not to the point where the debates were cancelled or any of the participants had reason to fear for their safety. And to me, protest is also a form of free speech. So yeah, I'm not really seeing the concerns put forth by either side to the degree that either side claims they're occurring.

Anyways, that was a huge derail. Back on topic, I thought this was an interesting survey of Islamic youth which touches on a number of issues, including ISIS, U.S. involvement in Iraq, etc.

https://theintercept.com/wp-uploads/...2016100316.pdf
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #382
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, there is currently a case in the BC court of appeal that may go to the Supreme Court about a pro-life group being systematically denied the ability to operate on UVic's campus because of political disagreement with various student government people. So yeah, there are some speech issues there.

That being said, I do think Canada lags behind the USA, and this has only been going on down there for a relatively short period of time (at least to the degree that's so alarming), so I think for us up here the point is to hopefully not see it happen.

It's also usually not about fears for a speaker's safety; that's actually a ploy for shutting the talk down in advance (the group inviting the speaker is often charged a "security fee" to provide protection because they're too controversial, which they can't afford to cover). It's more that the talks themselves are essentially shut down. I remember one Milo video going around twitter where people basically showed up with air horns to drown him out... which in turn tells you something about the Streisand Effect.
Quote:
Anyways, that was a huge derail. Back on topic, I thought this was an interesting survey of Islamic youth which touches on a number of issues, including ISIS, U.S. involvement in Iraq, etc.

https://theintercept.com/wp-uploads/...2016100316.pdf
But yeah obvious de-rail. No comment on that, I'll try to take a look at it, though my hackles are instantly raised when I see The Intercept (home to Nathan Lean and Murtaza Hussein, who have a history of being absolutely awful purveyors of smear pieces and blatant dishonesty on topics of Islamism and religion motivating behaviour).

Obviously each piece of statistical analysis is to be judged on its merits not the character of the people involved, but the agenda of the outlet certainly warrants some additional scrutiny, at least. I mean, my first question is, where the heck is the source data? Can I actually see the responses by question?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #383
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair, there is currently a case in the BC court of appeal that may go to the Supreme Court about a pro-life group being systematically denied the ability to operate on UVic's campus because of political disagreement with various student government people. So yeah, there are some speech issues there.
Case was already heard and the court ruled against the pro-life group. From what I know of the case, the group. The issue wasn't with them being pro-life, as the leader of the group has been invited to debate on campus many times. The issue was with them putting up massive displays of aborted fetuses.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...peal-1.3541674

Quote:
But yeah obvious de-rail. No comment on that, I'll try to take a look at it, though my hackles are instantly raised when I see The Intercept (home to Nathan Lean and Murtaza Hussein, who have a history of being absolutely awful purveyors of smear pieces and blatant dishonesty on topics of Islamism and religion motivating behaviour).
Oh totally. Greenwald is involved with them too I think.

Quote:
Obviously each piece of statistical analysis is to be judged on its merits not the character of the people involved, but the agenda of the outlet certainly warrants some additional scrutiny, at least. I mean, my first question is, where the heck is the source data? Can I actually see the responses by question?
Yeah, I'm not sure if they're actually responsible for the survey itself or if they're just publishing the results, but yes you can see the responses by question.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #384
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Case was already heard and the court ruled against the pro-life group. From what I know of the case, the group. The issue wasn't with them being pro-life, as the leader of the group has been invited to debate on campus many times. The issue was with them putting up massive displays of aborted fetuses.
It's been heard and appealed but they may take it to the SCC. You can read the facts here - https://bccla.org/wp-content/uploads...y-Victoria.pdf

I actually haven't read the appeal decision which just came out a week and a half ago.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #385
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's been heard and appealed but they may take it to the SCC. You can read the facts here - https://bccla.org/wp-content/uploads...y-Victoria.pdf

I actually haven't read the appeal decision which just came out a week and a half ago.
Well I did actually read all of that and I can't see why the SCC would overturn it.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #386
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/31...m_content=link

These guys are not very good at this. Which is good for us, I guess.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #387
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Well I did actually read all of that and I can't see why the SCC would overturn it.
I agree with you from a legal perspective, unless they re-visit prior decisions about the scope of charter applicability.

I've always thought there were both good rational and public policy reasons for the Charter to apply to publicly funded secondary institutions, but that's not what the law says right now.

Incidentally, down south, the US Constitution does apply on campus at any public / state school, and when it comes to private universities students have succeeded in arguing that the school's charter guarantees free speech (so even if it's not constitutionally mandated, it's mandated by contract).
Old 04-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #388
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/31...m_content=link

These guys are not very good at this. Which is good for us, I guess.
The longer version (scroll down, or see it on Vice) is even crazier. It starts with them saying goodbye to a suicide bomber.

They look like what (I think) a bunch of guys who don't know what they are doing would do in such a situation, which clearly is what they are. They kept going though. All the bullets and rockets firing and they kept going forward. They were kind of panicky but they didn't seem scared.

True believers I guess. Or maybe they were too dumb to know what they were getting into? Probably a combo of the two.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #389
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh good.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-is...bably-canadian

Quote:
If the reports are right, Al-Hanif is actually Chowdhury, a quiet former resident of Southern Ontario who, according to those who remember him, was hardly the fearless commander that he's made out to be in the magazine.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #390
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its easy to be brave on video when your mainly killing woman, children or old people, and your a sick twisted pedophile that likes to rape young girls, and probably boys to.

This guy would wet his pants and cry if he was ever actually challenged by someone who knows what they're about.

I could be the toughest man alive if I was holding a knife to a 70 year old half infirmed priest.

If there's a hell its going to be terrifying for all of these cowards that run off to join ISIS, because being a child raping mass murdering loser doesn't get you into paradise.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #391
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its easy to be brave on video when your mainly killing woman, children or old people, and your a sick twisted pedophile that likes to rape young girls, and probably boys to.

This guy would wet his pants and cry if he was ever actually challenged by someone who knows what they're about.

I could be the toughest man alive if I was holding a knife to a 70 year old half infirmed priest.

If there's a hell its going to be terrifying for all of these cowards that run off to join ISIS, because being a child raping mass murdering loser doesn't get you into paradise.
I don't have time to find it now but I read an article online where it states over 80% of western men who left their country to join ISIS had a history of rejection from woman.

In other words a perverted excuse to get layed.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #392
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I don't have time to find it now but I read an article online where it states over 80% of western men who left their country to join ISIS had a history of rejection from woman.

In other words a perverted excuse to get layed.
To be fair, 80% of men have a history of rejection with women
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #393
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
we're all potential terrorists
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #394
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Maybe some rejection but I think they meant these kids couldn't get lucky in a brothel.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #395
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrorists also tend to draw more engineers than would otherwise be expected. But I guess that also correlates to the failure rate with women.....

http://chronicle.com/article/Does-En...ucation/235800
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #396
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Maybe because its the most heavily recruited field for terrorist recruiters. I doubt they're going to go after many drama students.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #397
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Maybe some rejection but I think they meant these kids couldn't get lucky in a brothel.
Even crack whores have some standards.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #398
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

151 dead in Baghdad, and not even a mention on this site.

Not an indictment of the people here, but an observation of how common these attacks have become, and therefore how desensitized people are nowadays.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30739014/

Quote:
The death toll from a suicide bombing in a Baghdad shopping district rose above 150 on Monday, fuelling calls for security forces to crack down on Islamic State sleeper cells blamed for one of the worst ever single bombings in Iraq.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #399
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I was really surprised that wasn't mentioned here, figured there'd be a bunch of discussion, but where things happen is really important, unfortunately.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #400
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should have posted here instead of the Turkey airport thread. It has been a pretty crazy week for terrorist activity. Turkey airport attack, Bangladesh attack on Friday, Baghdad on Sunday and Saudi Arabia today (3 or 4 different attacks.)
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote