Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default How long before Feaster makes a move, and WHAT does he do?

Last night, during the 2nd intermission after ROR had been matched by the Avalanche, Feaster said that he's not done trying to improve this hockey club, and that he is going to keep working at it "right away" These are certainly words of encouragement to us Flames fans. He has shown that he's got the guts to make offers by signing ROR to that big offer sheet, but currently, he's got no glory to show for it. With only 1 center in the dressed lineup every night, the Flames are clearly in need of help down the middle, as we all know.

So my question is, when does he make the move, and what does he move for? Will he move Iginla? Will Kipper go? Does he trade low picks?

Feaster is clearly going for a new Franchise player, and he won't be wearing the number 47. Teams like Detroit and Nashville would probably like to see someone like Bouwmeester wearing their sweater. Someone like Philly or Boston might like to see the likes of Iginla in their uniform. I don't know what move he's going to make, but, I see something big happening before this month is over. So what happens?
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Trade deadline is one month away, if the team continues to slide, the "core" will be moved, no question.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it's more likely given they were willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd in a deal(albeit for a young player) that they lean more towards giving up future for the present. Frankly I would not be surprised if they do a move looking at short term gain.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As a Flames fan with management and Feaster still apparently in "win now" mode, I'm pretty nervous. God only knows what Feaster does next but it won't likely be what he "should" do.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it'll be a nother desperation move, I really hope he doesn't mortguage the future for a chance. This team shouldn't be trading away their first rounder, they should be getting more of them.

I'm still calling Cammy to the leafs though....
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He may make a move but as we have seen with Feaster I would take whatever he says, especially in the heat of the moment, with a huge grain of salt as he seems to like to hear himself speak and will say anything that he thinks the fans want to hear whether true or not.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Feaster needs to develop a rebuild-on-the-fly mentality. Some may say he already has one, but I don't think he does. Trading Iginla doesn't mean this franchise is doomed to hell. It actually could improve our team without even waiting. If you trade him for someone who's proven they can play in the NHL, I guarantee this team looks better in a blink of an eye.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sakari For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
I think Feaster needs to develop a rebuild-on-the-fly mentality. Some may say he already has one, but I don't think he does. Trading Iginla doesn't mean this franchise is doomed to hell. It actually could improve our team without even waiting. If you trade him for someone who's proven they can play in the NHL, I guarantee this team looks better in a blink of an eye.
hmmm what's a good example?

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

He'll go "hunting" after Cory Perry once he reaches UFA status, fail, but then remind us how he tried to improve the needs of the team.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As long as it's a move similar to the O'reilly offer sheet then I don't mind. I don't want them to turn around and move our 1st+ for a 30+ C though.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Trade Iggy, Cammy, Stemper, Gio, Butler, Smith, Sarich, Jackman, Comeau and Scoreface (if you can convince him to waive his NTC) for prospects and draft picks and go from there.

Let all your UFAs walk, minus Cervenka, who gets re-signed at a much lower value.

Draft high, go with a youth movement next season by playing Wotherspoon, Breen, Granlund, Horak, Brossoit and whomever you nab with all of your newly acquired draft picks. Give Backlund and Baertschi all the ice time they can handle.

Ride Kipper on his final year, and trade him when he's on a roll, and go with Brossoit/Ramo as your tandem.

This is pretty much what the franchise needs, but they won't do it.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 03-01-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Trade deadline is one month away, if the team continues to slide, the "core" will be moved, no question.
Ha, I'll believe it when I see it. But I hope to god you're right...
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trade Iggy, Cammy, Stemper, Gio, Butler, Smith, Sarich, Jackman, Comeau and Scoreface (if you can convince him to waive his NTC) for prospects and draft picks and go from there.

Let all your UFAs walk, minus Cervenka, who gets re-signed at a much lower value.

Draft high, go with a youth movement next season by playing Wotherspoon, Breen, Granlund, Horak, Brossoit and whomever you nab with all of your newly acquired draft picks.

Ride Kipper on his final year, and trade him when he's on a roll, and go with Brossoit/Ramo as your tandem.

With the last place team only having a 25% chance of getting the 1st overall pick, I'd be leery of icing an AHL team. May just end up being like the Oilers...without the 1st overall silver lining. Plus, this would limit us to drafting the "most NHL-ready" players instead of just taking the best players available.

Last edited by Geeoff; 03-01-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly as fans the best thing that could happen now is the flames lose 5 in a row.

Anything that keeps them remotely near a playoff spot and i see a future prospect like Gaudreau being moved. Our 1st is up for grabs as it is.

Also we need ownership to open their eyes and change the mandate.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
With the last place team only having a 25% chance of getting the 1st overall pick, I'd be leery of icing an AHL team. May just end up being like the Oilers...without the 1st overall silver lining.
The Flames are currently 25th overall. An AHL team might be an improvement.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Draft high, go with a youth movement next season by playing Wotherspoon, Breen, Granlund, Horak, Brossoit and whomever you nab with all of your newly acquired draft picks. Give Backlund and Baertschi all the ice time they can handle.

Forcing rookies who aren't ready (Wotherspoon, Granlund, Brossoit) into NHL action is not what this team needs, it's how you limit a players development and cause him to bust.

Flames need to trade some of the names you listed but do need to keep some veterans so we can dress a 21 man roster.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is where you gotta love Darryl Sutter. Didn't say anything to the media and wham! Out of nowhere we would get amazing trades with exciting players coming to our team.

Doesn't matter what you think of him, but on that front alone he made it enjoyable to be a Flames fan. I remember many times saying "Can you believe we got so and so"!

With Feaster, well, he talks a lot...
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STAMPEDRED For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPEDRED View Post
This is where you gotta love Darryl Sutter. Didn't say anything to the media and wham! Out of nowhere we would get amazing trades with exciting players coming to our team.

Doesn't matter what you think of him, but on that front alone he made it enjoyable to be a Flames fan. I remember many times saying "Can you believe we got so and so"!

With Feaster, well, he talks a lot...
Darryl Suttter: Says nothing. Trades Phaneuf for magic beans.
Feaster: Talks a lot. Attempts to do things and fails.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is O'Rielly better than Jones or Mckinnon?

Feaster has identified that it is panic time with the line-up he has put together...

It is time to really tank and dump the overpaid and under performing guys in this short season.

The chance of the Flames making the playoffs riding McDonald and a coming off an injury Kipper are far greater than a 29th or 30th place finish.

With him adding cap space that the Flames don't have for 2013-14 he had made the decision that at least one of Iginla, Bouwmeester, Cammalleri, Kipper were not going to be Flames next year.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote