Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #21
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very emotional documentary. Had tears in my eyes. What a job done! What a community! I am proud to be a Calgary Flames fan! And will be forever!
calgaryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

what's with Valery Fortney drawing 9/11 comparisons, bad taste IMO

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
RinkRat13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryboy View Post
RinkRat13 - Greetings from CR, thought of you today..... this morning, too cold here last days, took your Flames winter jacket with me today to radio. Still suits me well :-)))) Thank you once more :-)
I am glad you are still wearing the jacket and that it keeps you warm!

You are very welcome.
RinkRat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
what's with Valery Fortney drawing 9/11 comparisons, bad taste IMO
I almost shut it off at that point, seriously, get a grip. I wanted to punch her in the taint for that.

Then when Telus chimed in with their integrated commercial of how great they were during the flood, how giving they were... sorry, I turned it off.

Nothing PO's me more than companies that used the flood as an advertising opportunity. "We donated such and such to so and so after the flood." Be a true corporate citizen, and just do it, without incorporating it into your ads, and hoping to turn a profit off it with customer empathy. God I am glad the owners of our company didn't pull cheesy crap like that, and just helped out, without an agenda.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I almost shut it off at that point, seriously, get a grip. I wanted to punch her in the taint for that.

Then when Telus chimed in with their integrated commercial of how great they were during the flood, how giving they were... sorry, I turned it off.

Nothing PO's me more than companies that used the flood as an advertising opportunity. "We donated such and such to so and so after the flood." Be a true corporate citizen, and just do it, without incorporating it into your ads, and hoping to turn a profit off it with customer empathy. God I am glad the owners of our company didn't pull cheesy crap like that, and just helped out, without an agenda.
Bit of a catch 22 for large companies like Shaw and TELUS with these things though. There's almost an expectation of those giants that they would help out in situations like the floods. And if they don't let people know what they did, there is a lot of, where was TELUS, where was Shaw, what did you do type of attitude, because people will expect it, but only believe it if they hear about it (or if they were in direct benefit).

But of course, if they talk about it publicly, they get lambasted for leveraging a bad situation for profit.

Kind of a no win situation for any big corporation of any sort, people like to take shots. They expect corporate citizenship and critique if they don't hear about it, but they also critique if the companies publisize what they did.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Bit of a catch 22 for large companies like Shaw and TELUS with these things though. There's almost an expectation of those giants that they would help out in situations like the floods. And if they don't let people know what they did, there is a lot of, where was TELUS, where was Shaw, what did you do type of attitude, because people will expect it, but only believe it if they hear about it (or if they were in direct benefit).

But of course, if they talk about it publicly, they get lambasted for leveraging a bad situation for profit.

Kind of a no win situation for any big corporation of any sort, people like to take shots. They expect corporate citizenship and critique if they don't hear about it, but they also critique if the companies publisize what they did.
There is nothing wrong with mentioning it in the media, or on the corporate website, etc. But when you are buying airtime to do it, that's when I think it is opportunistic. Northstar Ford was probably the worst of the bunch. I actually had to turn off my radio when those ads came on, it was so off putting.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with mentioning it in the media, or on the corporate website, etc. But when you are buying airtime to do it, that's when I think it is opportunistic. Northstar Ford was probably the worst of the bunch. I actually had to turn off my radio when those ads came on, it was so off putting.
Not sure those type of comapnies can rely on the vocal folks to go find that info themselves off a web site, or even rely on the media to report the story, big corporations helping out weren't exactly as appealing (and rightfully so) as the stories about regular folks helping their neighbours for example.

But still, I do agree there is a right way to do it for sure.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, they are buying airtime...the airtime required to get the hour long show on the air in prime time and on two networks. Without a company like Telus, who I am guessing probably put up half the money to create/produce then buy air time on Snet and locally (with the other sponsors, who showed multiple generic ads contributing proportionally), that show does get on the air at all...certainly Larry Day and his wife aren't fronting the money.

They had one integrated/specific ad, and that's it for the whole hour. No issue with that if it allows the documentry to be shown.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Nenshi always talk like that or only in front of media?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

^It;'s funny, I have never heard Nenshi talk prior to that video - did not sound at all like I expected
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #31
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Does Nenshi always talk like that or only in front of media?
I've grown to really like Nenshi, but his half falling asleep, eye closing thing when he talks, drives me insane.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #32
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I've grown to really like Nenshi, but his half falling asleep, eye closing thing when he talks, drives me insane.
I wouldn't recommend watching a Daniel Negreanu interview either then. His eyes blink/twitch in a really weird way.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #33
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We've been contacted by the copyright holders of the video, they say that due to copyright the video is only available on TV currently.

Due to that copyright they have asked that people do not post it here so that they wouldn't be forced into any kind of legal action.

As always, please keep in mind that the content of posts can have potential legal (and other) impacts on the people who own and run the site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
Hockeyboi
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Why? A free game is a free game. The people who worked on the Dome were getting paid, unlike people cleaning out houses.
I work in construction and that's the reason I hate big jobs like it would have been at the Dome, you work every hour God sends and when you say something about it it's always the same "you get paid for it", money's not everything but I do take your point about the many unsung hero's that volunteered and helped with the clean up. Fair play to everyone who did volunteered they deserved to get a lot of credit.
Hockeyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well done except for the Fortney part - totally agree. Hard not to get emotional.

Also, is it just me or was it not a bit of a doosh move to wear coiler jerseys on the ice for the photo op at the end. Willing to be corrected or told I'm out to lunch, but considering what this was for, and the act the team was coming on the ice, couldn't the enemy jersey have been covered for one night?

Like I said - totally my opinion and wouldn't argue with someone who told me I was wrong, but it seems kind of a low blow.......
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although it was cool to see some of the footage from inside the Dome and some of the interviews, it did come across as a bit melodramatic and over the top at times. Fortney comes across as completely out to lunch with a 9/11 comparison, the typical Pyramid Productions treatment of manufacturing some cheese, plenty of filler, and even some repeated footage to stretch things out a little. Cut out the crap and the ads, and you've probably got about 20 minutes of decent stuff. I get it that Telus is giving some money and gets to toot their horn a little, but I found it a bit much. I suppose it is still worth watching if you've got it on your PVR (but don't dare link to it!!), but it could have been done so much better. (Ducks and runs)
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Well I guess it's been removed from YouTube. Would have been nice to have seen it.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, so sorry if it has, but looks like it will be airing tomorrow numerous times again. Including 11am on SN1 and 1pm on SNW.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #39
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why were the signs half Cyrillic script when the work was being done at the dome? Did they use a lot of temporary workers or something?

dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #40
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carom View Post
Why were the signs half Cyrillic script when the work was being done at the dome? Did they use a lot of temporary workers or something?
You could say that they were Russian to get it done.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: