Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2024, 09:01 AM   #1
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Playoff Enthusiam ??

Maybe not deserving of its own thread but...

Any one else finding it hard to cheer for our rivals knowing it will help our draft positions if they succeed ?

Over the weekend I still couldn't help but cheer against Florida / Toronto / Vancouver etc...

To me there is still a resentment against chucky, Johnny, Noah, Elias and Zadarov.

Calgary had a dominant team in the making and it was all torn apart starting with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. The dominoes fell after that.

So even though their success will eventually help the flames..I just can't cheer for them.

Preds in 6 hopefully.

Oh...and that BP's commercial about cheering with your rivals instead of against them can eat a big bag of D!cks...
Old 04-22-2024, 09:03 AM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I thought I'd be fine with seeing some of the Canadian teams (well, Winnipeg) win but I wasn't. Hated seeing Vancouver win. Not looking forward to Edmonton likely winning. And these are just the 1st games.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #3
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind seeing the Canucks or Jets win, but screw the Leafs and Oilers.

I also get tired of hearing a Canadian team hasn't won the Cup in over 30 years so go Canada!
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:12 AM   #4
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I checked on some scores here and there and maybe watched a total of 15 mins of hockey over the weekend. So yeah, not quite there.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:15 AM   #6
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Maybe not deserving of its own thread but...

Any one else finding it hard to cheer for our rivals knowing it will help our draft positions if they succeed ?

Over the weekend I still couldn't help but cheer against Florida / Toronto / Vancouver etc...

To me there is still a resentment against chucky, Johnny, Noah, Elias and Zadarov.

Calgary had a dominant team in the making and it was all torn apart starting with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. The dominoes fell after that.

So even though their success will eventually help the flames..I just can't cheer for them.

Preds in 6 hopefully.

Oh...and that BP's commercial about cheering with your rivals instead of against them can eat a big bag of D!cks...
I do find it tough watching Chucky tearing it up and going far in the playoffs. Hell even watching the Rangers and seeing Fox as a top pairing stud d-man pisses me off and I actively cheer against him.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:19 AM   #7
Toonage

Exp:

Fox doesn't bother me. It was never going to happen and I made peace with that. Tkachuk flat out lied to our faces so that does bother me a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:27 AM   #8
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m the opposite. We got six really good seasons out of Tkachuk before he decided to move on. He told the team about his intentions, and by all accounts he and his agent were helpful in facilitating a trade that worked for all parties. I don’t have any animosity towards him and don’t have a problem cheering for the Panthers in the playoffs.

Fox, on the other hand, refused to play for the team that drafted him. He screwed the Flames over.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:28 AM   #9
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Fox doesn't bother me. It was never going to happen and I made peace with that. Tkachuk flat out lied to our faces so that does bother me a bit.
Tkachuk was up front and honest. He gave the Flames enough notice to get the best return.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:33 AM   #10
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Tkachuk was up front and honest. He gave the Flames enough notice to get the best return.
I'm referring to locker room clean out day interview where he was asked if he could see himself signing long term in Calgary and he started off with "Absolutely" and then proceeded to blow smoke up the city & team's ass for the next 10 minutes.

Then behind closed doors said nope, I want out.

From that point on, he played ball and helped the team as best he could I suppose.

But he was always a disingenuous person to me, so I guess I was predisposed to being angry with him.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:41 AM   #11
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll quit caring as soon as Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton are out the playoffs.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:43 AM   #12
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get being annoyed with Gaudreau, but the rest... I mean, Tkachuk was honest and direct about his intentions. Lindholm did them a favour, they were absolutely better off trading him. Once that happened, there was no choice on Hanifin so I don't know how you blame him. And Zadorov asked for a trade I guess but by all accounts the team didn't want to re-sign him anyway, and it seemed like a pretty amicable parting of the ways at the time.

I think you can safely just cheer against the teams you mostly want to lose, mainly Edmonton, as per usual. The picks will fall where they fall, and there's not that much at stake with the conditions anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I'll quit caring as soon as Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton are out the playoffs.
I almost want Vegas to lose more than any of them just because of the LTIR stuff. Almost. It's still the Oilers. But almost.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:45 AM   #13
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a harder time enjoying playoff hockey the last couple years. Between the NHL narratives and ####ty officiating its unbearable at times.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:47 AM   #14
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
ABE.
Don't care who else wins. Just ABE.
This probably had something to do with the weekend apathy towards the playoffs. There wasn't a team I wanted to watch lose.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:50 AM   #15
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Well he lied a couple months earlier and limited the Flames to a few teams
Old 04-22-2024, 09:51 AM   #16
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pulling for Tanev and the Stars
Oilers need to lose, sooner the better

Last edited by dino7c; 04-22-2024 at 09:54 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:59 AM   #17
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really cheer for anyone but I do love watching some teams lose. I just want to see some great hockey that is fun to watch. On any given night, in any given series my cheering comes down to any bets that I have placed.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:00 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I'm pulling for Tanev and the Stars
Oilers need to lose, sooner the better
There are lots of teams where, as a Flames fan, you can choose a reason to dislike them, but Dallas, Carolina, Boston, Washington, NYI and maybe LA might have the fewest. Trouble is only the first three are favorites. Of course, we are all cheering for LA anyway.

EDIT: add the Avs in there as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:00 AM   #19
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always ABE for sure.

If anything I hope the Jets and Monahan go on a nice run.

He deserves it imo...
Old 04-22-2024, 10:06 AM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There are lots of teams where, as a Flames fan, you can choose a reason to dislike them, but Dallas
Nah, fu** Jamie Benn.
Quote:
Boston
Nah, fu** Brad Marchand.
Quote:
Washington
Nah, fu** Tom Wilson.
Quote:
and maybe LA might have the fewest.
Nah, fu** Drew Doughty.
Quote:
Of course, we are all cheering for LA anyway.
Well, for now, sure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote