Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #6281
Harry Lime
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On a rotating schedule :

Everyone hates law enforcement, because once in a while a dangerous situation goes south.
Everyone hates nurses, because they need stress leave and allowances to survive.
Everyone hates the military, because of inevitable collateral damage during a conflict.
Everyone hates teachers, because they need two months a year, away from your kids.
List goes on...

It all comes around. Another group will be the one to step on, soon enough.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #6282
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Gee I wish my unpaid overtime earned me 2 months off.
Teachers aren't paid for the summer. Their pay is for 10 months spread over 12.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #6283
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
$100,000 spread over 10 months or 12 is still $100,000.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #6284
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You realize though, that say with 10 years experiance and $92,500 salary, that it isn't prorated down to 10 months of the year? Its still the full amount.

Also I only thought teachers without permanent contracts are not paid in the Summer? My friend who teaches in Fort Mac mentioned when she gets a permanent position she will be paid over the summer.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #6285
Zarley
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

7 of 9 stories on the main page of the Globe and Mail app are about Trump. I'm Canadian, this is a Canadian newspaper, yet a huge portion of the coverage over the past 6 months has been about the sideshow down south.

I have nothing more than a passing interest in the circus that is US politics. I read the Globe for excellent national coverage and world news. Who are the idiots reading all of this Trump nonsense?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #6286
TheSutterDynasty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
80k is my longest day but it's just a trail run/hike and not some epic accomplishment that needs a bumper sticker. And to the person running a 5k or a 10k and calling it a marathon might be a more difficult accomplishment for them. For someone to degrade the 5k or 10k that someone else as doing as taking away from there long run is ridiculous. They just put there feet in front of each other for longer period of time.
Hey if people identify as marathon runners and want a bumper sticker who cares.

I think the problem are those lying/exaggerating/build-it-up type people who fabricate things to try and impress people. Luckily I don't know many people like that since high school/university but my wife knows one who said she ran a half marathon in 1:30 with no training and when she looked up her results she actually ran ~2:25 or something. What's the point? Just tell the truth, you accomplished something and people will be happy for you.

For you to call it "putting one foot in front of the other for a length of time" is a joke. My last half marathon was months of training and race pace work; essentially 3-4 grueling runs a week by the end on top of the few recovery runs (which yes, are easy). Sure, I can go and just run a half and get a ####ty time and who really cares. It's the detail and training that people put in that is far harder for the longer races.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #6287
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teachers are off for July and August, so they get two months off a year. Many, not all, of the people on this forum also get vacation. Let's say you get 4 weeks of vacation per year. You also get some flex days, Fridays off in the summer, Stampede parade day, and Stampede is a write off as well. This is mostly for Calgary people working in oil and gas, but I feel a lot of the CP members are Calgarians working in oil and gas. Some of you might get more vacation time than teachers, and at a much higher salary.

Think of your educational background, and years experience. Now find a teacher with a similar schooling and teaching years. Would you trade your compensation (salary, bonus, benefits, perks) for that teacher's salary, for an extra month off per year? Keep in mind if you have a highschool diploma, and work as a part time dishwasher at Subway, that you don't get to trade your salary for a teacher with a master's degree and 30 year's experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak
nvm stupid comment
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #6288
PepsiFree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post

I think the problem are those lying/exaggerating/build-it-up type people who fabricate things to try and impress people. Luckily I don't know many people like that since high school/university but my wife knows one who said she ran a half marathon in 1:30 with no training and when she looked up her results she actually ran ~2:25 or something. What's the point? Just tell the truth, you accomplished something and people will be happy for you.

For you to call it "putting one foot in front of the other for a length of time" is a joke. My last half marathon was months of training and race pace work; essentially 3-4 grueling runs a week by the end on top of the few recovery runs (which yes, are easy). Sure, I can go and just run a half and get a ####ty time and who really cares. It's the detail and training that people put in that is far harder for the longer races.
In the end, who cares about those people either? If someone wants to lie about their race time it'll just come back on them. People are too concerned with things that have zero impact on other people. I assume your wife was just looking up results and saw this person's, but I know there are people out there who would hear a race time, not believe it, and purposely look up results to prove this person wrong. That's just as said imo and a waste of time.

GGG is right. At the end of the day it's just putting one foot in front of the other. It takes hard work and practice to get to that point, but for some people it takes just as much hard work and practice to do a 10K. Doing anything physical like that takes hard work and practice, it is not impressive or unique just because you personally feel you did more or worked harder.

Put in the work for yourself, not for others. As soon as you become concerned about what other people think of your accomplishment or whether others worked as hard as you, you've lost the point imo.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #6289
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I think the problem are those lying/exaggerating/build-it-up type people who fabricate things to try and impress people.
Well yeah, no one likes those types of people and are an easy gear grinder that everyone can relate to.

But that didn't seem to be the case from the original post that spawned the topic. It just seemed to be people confusing a 10K with a marathon because they didn't understand that a marathon has a specific meaning. And that was somehow an insult to those who had ran a marathon.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #6290
OMG!WTF!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
$100,000 spread over 10 months or 12 is still $100,000.
There is a difference though too. I've known several teachers who work over the summer months. I've hired teacher painters, teacher gallery staff and teacher contractors. I know teachers who tutor in the summer, babysit, house sit, pet sit. Lots of teachers add several thousand to their bottom line by summer employment.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 05-17-2017 at 10:32 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #6291
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Are you a parent? Yeah, most people know teachers get the summer off. What most don't know until their kids go through the Calgary public school system is there's a day off or PD day tacked onto every single long weekend. And plenty more in between. In fact, there are pretty much no stretches of three full weeks in a row, and not many of two weeks in a row. Until you're a parent, you also probably don't know that most schools in the city now shut down at noon every Friday.
Sounds like most of the people complaining are more concerned about child care problems on the days students are released early than they are are about educational hours.

Guess what? The school system is not a daycare system and school boards aren't obligated to plan teaching hours around what is most convenient for parents.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #6292
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There is a difference though too. I've known several teachers who work over the summer months. I've hired teacher painters, teacher gallery staff and teacher contractors. I know teachers who tutor in the summer, babysit, house sit, pet sit. Lots of teachers add several thousand to their bottom line by summer employment.
The other thing that it allows teachers to do though is Advanced Education, get an additional degree or Masters and that puts them on a different pay scale.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #6293
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

As LS mentioned - it isn't an issue of pay or time off, its about the constant reduction of in-school hours and days.

Half-day Fridays and endless PD days don't quite line up with most people's schedules, which is a big issue in a society where stay-at-home parents are the exception to the norm.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #6294
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Sounds like most of the people complaining are more concerned about child care problems on the days students are released early than they are are about educational hours.

Guess what? The school system is not a daycare system and school boards aren't obligated to plan teaching hours around what is most convenient for parents.
Guess what? We live in a society where both parents usually have to work. So it's hard to understand why children are actually at school less than they were back when most families had a parent home all day. It's clearly not the direction most parents would choose, if they had any say in the matter.

Considering the fact that we've identified the gender income gap as a social problem, and that gap is primarily due to the reduced hours many women work when they have young children, we might consider if shutting schools down at noon every Friday is running at cross-purposes. My wife works 80 per cent of full-time (and earns 80 per cent of the income) she would otherwise have because of half-day Fridays in CBE schools.

But it sounds like we're in agreement that parents shouldn't kid themselves that their wishes carry much weight when it comes to the public education system.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #6295
PepsiFree
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's always just a little amusing when people complain about teachers (namely work schedules and work ethic) on a very non-work related message board during "typical" work hours.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #6296
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's always just a little amusing when people complain about teachers (namely work schedules and work ethic) on a very non-work related message board during "typical" work hours.
It's also amusing to read comments by people who don't have kids, and don't have any skin in the game.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #6297
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromer2.0 View Post
I play hockey with a number of teachers
How has this not been commented on? Teachers have time to play hockey? MY TAX DOLLARS AT WORK?!?!

Or, I suppose, my tax dollars *not* at work, but rather, at the arena. Probably they're the ones that take the best timeslots too, which is why little Jammy "PuckWizard" McJammiepants has to have his ice time at 5:30 AM on every Saturday. Shameful!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #6298
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
My boss and I had a long, in-depth discussion about it. Hes cool with it.

Again, the problem is that the discussion is adversarial rather than cooperative.

School isnt Daycare. Agreed. But having kids in school or out of school during typical working hours makes working around that schedule difficult.

And all we get is: 'School isnt daycare so thats not our problem.'

So getting a little bit of backlash for that attitude should be expected.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #6299
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

WRGMG: Posting ultrasounds on Facebook or social media.

GROSS.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #6300
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
WRGMG: Posting ultrasounds on Facebook or social media.

GROSS.
Like a baby announcement?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote