Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #41
Flamenspiel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And the BC economy hasn't really skipped a beat.
The logging industry is booming, i have never seen so much old growth on logging trucks that i saw this summer, full speed ahead for deforestation. I gather it has something to do with US tariffs lapsing.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #42
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
The logging industry is booming, i have never seen so much old growth on logging trucks that i saw this summer, full speed ahead for deforestation. I gather it has something to do with US tariffs lapsing.
Well that's good for BC people (hypocrits), because if I know one thing that's good for the environment it's logging and deforestation.

Rube, it's people like you and your attitude that is wrong with this country. Why make enemies with neighbouring provinces for no reason?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #43
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well that's good for BC people (hypocrits), because if I know one thing that's good for the environment it's logging and deforestation.

Rube, it's people like you and your attitude that is wrong with this country. Why make enemies with neighbouring provinces for no reason?
I said the BC economy is booming, so that means I'm making enemies with a neighbouring province? What the hell are you even talking about?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2016, 06:44 AM   #44
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/guns...trol-1.3746616

"The government is committed to putting decision-making authority about weapons classification back into the hands of police, not politicians," wrote Goodale, pointing out that the government believes in striking a balance between public safety and ensuring firearms owners are treated fairly under the law.

I don't want no teenage queen, I just want my M14.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #45
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^As much as I'd love an AR-15 for myself, keeping it restricted is probably for the best.

I can get my "assault rifle" fix with a Mossberg 715t (spoiler its only a .22)
Old 09-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #46
CaramonLS
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/guns...trol-1.3746616

"The government is committed to putting decision-making authority about weapons classification back into the hands of police, not politicians," wrote Goodale, pointing out that the government believes in striking a balance between public safety and ensuring firearms owners are treated fairly under the law.
Oh good.

Just continue the arbitrary ban on how weapons look then according to the RCMP. There was already the silliness with the CZ 858 and trying to get it moved to prohibited.

If you want to ban or reclassify a specific calibre/function/rate of fire, fine, go ahead. But banning based on looks is just insane.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #47
AltaGuy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dunno, if I were RCMP I would probably be very interested in how guns look. Accurately assessing the present dangers in a crisis would be pretty important to me.

Certainly not "insane" and were it up to me guns would come in three bright colours with big balloons above them. Like red, yellow, green or something. Probably not as cool for the gun owners, and bad for hunting but that's fine.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #48
CaramonLS
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I dunno, if I were RCMP I would probably be very interested in how guns look. Accurately assessing the present dangers in a crisis would be pretty important to me.

Certainly not "insane" and were it up to me guns would come in three bright colours with big balloons above them. Like red, yellow, green or something. Probably not as cool for the gun owners, and bad for hunting but that's fine.
I don't think it would make a lick of difference. I don't believe that the police would scale down a response to an armed robbery based on if the suspend has a shotgun, handgun or rifle or whatever color the gun is painted. The entire argument goes out the window because police don't know if they have anything more than what they actually observe.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
I said the BC economy is booming, so that means I'm making enemies with a neighbouring province? What the hell are you even talking about?
You have no idea what I'm talking about? Really? None?

You've spent the last few years on this website taking on what are just and righteous causes. Constantly in defense of gay people, of women's rights, of minorities, etc. You are unrelenting in your work and writing here to speak up and ensure that rights are equal, that people who are victims have a voice and are heard. You seem to employ yourself with empathy, with social and emotional intelligence, with what appear to be appeals to feeling sorry for those people who never had a chance.

And now you're uncertain what I'm talking about after this performance??

Quote:
^^Why would Vancouver see a reckoning? Do you actually think any provincial government in Alberta is going to act out your weird intimidation and revenge fantasies?
Quote:
And the BC economy hasn't really skipped a beat.

Right but it has nothing to do with pipelines. Hell, Robertson and Clark would probably relish some nutjob WR premier trying to do the stuff CC has suggested in the past because it would probably help them get re-elected.
Quote:
I think that depends. Tourism is booming as well with the way the dollar is.
Quote:
The dudes who do the Kabuki cabs out here make fortune on the cruise ship crowd every summer. I think the coast and the island will be fine. Vancouver has the film industry still and Victoria has their burgeoning tech industry. If the mining industry goes belly-up in the interior then there could be some big issues.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/alberta-job-losses/

You're going on bragging about how awesome things are in BC and meanwhile your province is doing major damage to Alberta. Alberta is some of its darkest economic times, at least in my lifetime. Where has all your empathy gone now? So you start talking about how good things are in BC, the province that is indirectly (and actually, more directly than people would like to admit) responsible for part of this carnage in our province? And you sit there smugly and talk about how things are just tickety boo, and so too ####ing bad Alberta?

Captain Crunch displays some frustrations that may sound like endless angry rants about how our country is letting this province down and you call it 'revenge fantasies'- but be sure that some of his venting is a growing resentment shared by many in this province about the disdain, rejection, unwillingness to help by people in BC.

So while you may not be making enemies, and while the statement probably seemed dramatic, it's not overly far off. BC's refusal to accept a pipeline has directly impacted natural gas prices. It's caused this province to rely on only 1 customer. It's crushing this province and it isn't going unnoticed.

Where the hell is all of your empathy and social intuition now? Or does it just not matter anymore because, Alberta?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #50
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Lower Mainland's choice to explicitly block a pipeline that would benefit people (particularly from the blue collar classes) for the sake of very abstract ideological and rhetorical gains is pretty much sociopathic.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #51
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Canada suffered a major terrorist attack, would Justin Trudeau take charge like his old man did? Hypothetically speaking, let's say the Toronto Subway system was targeted by a group of terrorists. Would Trudeau implement the War Measures Act?
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #52
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
The Lower Mainland's choice to explicitly block a pipeline that would benefit people (particularly from the blue collar classes) for the sake of very abstract ideological and rhetorical gains is pretty much sociopathic.
all under the guise of environmentalism.

I hope environmentalists and anti-pipeline people are as logically consistent with logging, housing and tourism, all each dishing up their own environmental damage- but something tells me there's a massive, hypocritical double standard at play.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #53
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Rube is right, I am angry and I am frustrated, and I've seen too many friends tossed out of jobs because of things like pipeline delays, or lack of projects going forward.

The funny thing is I really like Rube as a poster, I think that he's a good social conscience here and brings up concepts and arguments that I really side with.

But on this one he's wrong.

Look I'm all for saving the environment, and providing clean air and clean water. But it seems with the rush for global warming dollars, and that's what its become a cynical for profit business thanks to groups like Tides and others who are funding every single person that's willing to come up and cry and b$tch and throw sands in the work in the name of being a useful idiot for the Saudi and American Oil business interests.

At the end of the day, its ok to chop down whole forests, its fine to dump raw wastes into the ocean, its perfectly ok for freighters full of foreign oil to cross the ocean and go through delicate eco systems in the name of isolating Alberta's energy industry, because its profitable.

So yeah, I'm angry and cynical and bitter.

The bottom line is if tomorrow Alberta decided that they needed to do a massive study on the carbon effects of BC trucks and trains crossing this province to deliver their products to the East, the Federal Government and the governments in BC and other provinces would go to war and cry that its against the Constitution to prevent the flow of goods across provincial borders free and unhindered. But because its Alberta and its the oil sands and there are funds flowing from so called charities to native chiefs and scumbags like the mayor of Vancouver, and probably to Kathleen Wynn and the mayor of Montreal its ok to hinder and hold up.

I used to really love this country, and I was proud of it, and proud of serving it when I was younger. But effectively what Ontario and BC and Quebec and even the Federal Government is doing (moratorium on tanker traffic off the coast of BC, slowing down the process with reviewing pipelines and allowing every lunatic group of idiots to have access to tie it up, has really convinced me that this isn't a country anymore, its as I've said before a loosely tied together group of self interested jerks catering to the new market place of environmental "donations" and buzzwords.

Carbon is bad, global warming is bad, there's no doubt, but so is dumping sh$t in the water and cutting down swaths of forests, and factories pumping out crap in Ontario 24 hours a day, and over fishing among other things . But you don't see this province shutting its borders to wood products from BC, or whatever it is that Quebec exports, or Ontario manufactured goods. Those are fine and dandy.

So Rube forgive me if I react strongly to somebody saying "Hey man everything is awesome here, screw you".

At the end of the day, if politics was honest the leaders in BC and Ontario and Quebec would just say what they want. Its not better or stricter or even suicidal environmental policies or economic taxes, that would give us a so called non existent and non attainable social license to actually export our product. What they want is a bribe, they don't want reduced carbon emissions, they'd be fine if Alberta kept pulling Oil out of the ground, in fact Quebec would love it because they could continue to run their unsustainable social programs thanks to equalization, but if we want to transport it via pipeline then we'd better open up our wallet and start laying million dollar bills on the table for them while someone else distracts their donors in the environmental funding groups.

Its cynical and its bullsh$t and honestly its unfair as hell.

Sure some of my thoughts are of the revenge type of scenario at first glance. put a heavy tax on every product from unfriendly provinces, restrict the ability for BC to transport their goods without paying us because the trucks and trains that are passing through this province are bad. Building a pipeline to the border of BC and opening it up full blast because shucks there's no pipeline to greet it, but eventually that oil will make it to the coast on its own.

But it comes from my feeling that the concept of Canada as one country where everyone works together for economic and social benefits is dead.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #54
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
all under the guise of environmentalism.

I hope environmentalists and anti-pipeline people are as logically consistent with logging, housing and tourism, all each dishing up their own environmental damage- but something tells me there's a massive, hypocritical double standard at play.
The Americans aren't paying environmentalists to make a stink about logging and deforestation, so the voices in opposition to that will naturally be far quieter.

That said, your challenge to Rubecube is hilariously misplaced. You are venting at Rube as if he is responsible for the fact that BC's economy is doing well while ours isn't.

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #55
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic piece by Rex Murphy.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...-no-compromise

Quote:
The environmental protesters who are determined to throttle Alberta’s oil industry are so invested in the narrow, regressive world of their own doom-laden vision of the future, and the fanatic, narcissistic righteousness that is the hallmark of that vision, that they see themselves as having a licence to to do just about anything, no matter how morally reprehensible, in the pursuit of their cause.
As I've said, it is a religious exercise for these people.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #56
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the end, money will win out. It almost always does.

I agree with Murphy that the lack of compromise within the environmentalist extremists is a big problem, but I don't agree with his side rant about Trudeau. Neither of the sides in that debate care for him and will concede anything based on what he says. A big part of the reason why it has gotten to this point is because of past governments and industry leaders refusing to concede to moderate environmentalist groups, so suddenly the extremists have more influence than they should. People who were originally in the middle are turning to more extremist positions.

It's too bad, because more people fall in the middle and would love to see the pipeline go through as long as the O/G industry has to invest in remediation, restoration and clean energy technology. It's too bad the environmentalists making the loudest noises aren't pursing that angle instead of an "all or nothing" campaign.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #57
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
In the end, money will win out. It almost always does.
Tell that to Enbridge and Transcanada. I thought for sure Northern Gateway would end up getting built, even if the opposition had to be dragged kicking and screaming. It's not the case anymore, and those victories have emboldened the zealots.
Quote:
Neither of the sides in that debate care for him and will concede anything based on what he says.
On the flip side, I also don't agree with this; industry will work with literally anyone if it gets the thing built in a manner that's going to be economical, even if there are conditions applied. They would prefer money over not-money, at the end of the day. Money does win out in their case.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #58
DiracSpike
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unfortunately money is winning out, but it's foreign influence money funding these professional protestors and native groups. I just hate that these people (and a good chunk of the country) think they have the moral high ground when in fact it's a naive position not grounded at all in reality or the larger happenings in the world.

Thank God this mindset wasn't around early in Canada's history or we wouldn't even have a trans national rail way. Other countries are kicking our ass because they don't spend years and years trying to engage unreasonable fringe groups that are determined to put nation building on hold. And I love how its open season on mining, forestry, and in BC natural gas but when it comes to oil BC and Quebec are deeply, deeply opposed. It's a goddamn gangster shakedown that goes completely against the consitution on our country
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The biggest thing that's just grinding my gears right now is that the US that's talking about the evils of carbon and the evils of pipelines from Canada and how Dirty Alberta is and especially the Oil Sands are, is the same country that's built enough pipelines since Obama got elected to circle the globe something like 5 times. they refuse to do anything to clean up California oil which makes the Oilsands look like an environmentalists paradise. And had a president who basically lied about the reasons to cancel Keystone.

Yet every night they run ads about how great it is that America is drilling for so much oil and that America is an energy futures country thanks to Oil exploration.

They don't have any kind of carbon tax program down there and its not likely to ever happen, yet we are putting them in like crazy and a provincial level and coming to a theatre near you a federal level. So we're going to take the crap out of people to do what? Get a social license that means nothing and make our goods even less competitive on the world stage?

We've been duped completely and utterly and stupidly and outplayed by the Americans' and the Saudi's and the Chinese.

I'm not saying that we don't have to reduce pollution or become better environmental wardens of our lands and air and waters. But we've been completely played by a for profit environmental movement that gives very little of a crap about the whole pollution thing and a whole bigger crap about who's going to pay me to speak or protest or write blogs or show up at hearings with a sign and a slogan.

There are way too many professional protesters out there.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #60
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Unfortunately money is winning out, but it's foreign influence money funding these professional protestors and native groups. I just hate that these people (and a good chunk of the country) think they have the moral high ground when in fact it's a naive position not grounded at all in reality or the larger happenings in the world.

Thank God this mindset wasn't around early in Canada's history or we wouldn't even have a trans national rail way. Other countries are kicking our ass because they don't spend years and years trying to engage unreasonable fringe groups that are determined to put nation building on hold. And I love how its open season on mining, forestry, and in BC natural gas but when it comes to oil BC and Quebec are deeply, deeply opposed. It's a goddamn gangster shakedown that goes completely against the consitution on our country
I think a big part of it is that people have more access to information today and we expect more "democracy" in the decision making process. Back in the railway days, people knew that tycoons were making money hand-over fist, but they didn't know the exact numbers and it was just accepted that society was an elitist hierarchy. Today, people saw year after year of oil companies making record profits and oil workers making elevated wages that raised prices for everyone at the expense of resources and environmental conditions that many people feel belong to the commons. It was a tough pill to swallow and many of their gripes went ignored. What we see now is the harvest being reaped from seeds planted a long time ago. The professional protesters are just a symptom of the root problem. A symptom that still needs to be treated of course.