Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #381
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upgrading PSU / video card on HP Elite computers

It appears that the motherboard and PSU on the HP Elite computers are proprietary and they do not use a standard ATX power supply. In order to upgrade to any video card that needs external power, the PSU would need to be upgraded, correct?

Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with this?

I've found two options:Are there other options that people know about?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #382
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
That Quadro graphics card is really really meh, though. The Dell XPS can come with a GTX 1050 which is 3-4x more powerful than the Quadro M520 Mobile and will have way more longevity. There are no upgrade options for the Thinkpad you linked.
I've never really thought upgrading a graphics card was worth the effort. Have things changed? I've also believed that unless there was a noticeable difference for <$200, no point in overpaying for mobile graphics.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #383
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Upgrading PSU / video card on HP Elite computers

It appears that the motherboard and PSU on the HP Elite computers are proprietary and they do not use a standard ATX power supply. In order to upgrade to any video card that needs external power, the PSU would need to be upgraded, correct?

Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with this?

I've found two options:Are there other options that people know about?
I have several HP desktops at work. We tried replacing the graphics card on one where the fan was going, Desktop wouldn't play nice at all so we had to Macguyver a NVidia GPU fan to the ATI card. I don't know if upgrading the PSU would work, because I never went that far.

If my company needs to upgrade desktops at work, I'd suggest we pay Memex's fee to build desktops with no BS upgrade restrictions or paying someone who has built computers a small fee to spec a few desktops.

If you already have the HP elite, selling it and taking the money to put into a new desktop might be a more worth while endeavor than changing parts and hoping it works. Just my opinion.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #384
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I've never really thought upgrading a graphics card was worth the effort. Have things changed? I've also believed that unless there was a noticeable difference for <$200, no point in overpaying for mobile graphics.
Only problem with this argument is that once you buy it, you're stuck with it. There's no upgrading the video card on laptops.

Did I know in 2010 when I bought my wife a laptop that her lowly graphic card would be the only thing that holds back her laptop? Nope. She has to play games on the lowest possible settings and 720p60 videos such as Youtube or steaming sites are a choppy mess.

There are no M versions of video cards in the current generation of GeForce 10XX cards. They generate a lot less heat than the 9XX series of graphics cards and their power draw is smaller. This is the perfect time to spend a little more to get a LOT more out of your laptop, especially in terms of longevity.

The next laptop I get for my wife will have a 1050Ti or 1060 in it for sure. They're expensive right now, but have been steadily going down in price.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #385
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only problem with this argument is that once you buy it, you're stuck with it. There's no upgrading the video card on laptops.

Did I know in 2010 when I bought my wife a laptop that her lowly graphic card would be the only thing that holds back her laptop? Nope. She has to play games on the lowest possible settings and 720p60 videos such as Youtube or steaming sites are a choppy mess.

There are no M versions of video cards in the current generation of GeForce 10XX cards. They generate a lot less heat than the 9XX series of graphics cards and their power draw is smaller. This is the perfect time to spend a little more to get a LOT more out of your laptop, especially in terms of longevity.

The next laptop I get for my wife will have a 1050Ti or 1060 in it for sure. They're expensive right now, but have been steadily going down in price.
There's laptops from 2010 with integrated cards that perform that poorly? Damn, fair enough.

I've been making sure my laptops have a decent dedicated card since the C2D days and have avoid integrated at all costs. I didn't realize the cards in the newer/recent laptops are so much more future proof. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I contemplate laptops in the future. But agreed, that having a minimum level of dedicated graphics has been a norm for me for a long time (around the P4 era). I just never bothered with a "better card upgrade" if two laptops were super similar. By the time the better card shone vs the crappier card, it was time for a new laptop.

I do generally tell people not to buy laptops with integrated cards.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #386
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
There's laptops from 2010 with integrated cards that perform that poorly? Damn, fair enough.

I've been making sure my laptops have a decent dedicated card since the C2D days and have avoid integrated at all costs. I didn't realize the cards in the newer/recent laptops are so much more future proof. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I contemplate laptops in the future. But agreed, that having a minimum level of dedicated graphics has been a norm for me for a long time (around the P4 era). I just never bothered with a "better card upgrade" if two laptops were super similar. By the time the better card shone vs the crappier card, it was time for a new laptop.

I do generally tell people not to buy laptops with integrated cards.
I'm definitely aware of integrated (ie. part of the CPU) versus dedicated cards. I was referring to a dedicated video card soldered to the motherboard, so it cannot be swapped. This is a trend that has been happening for some time, as it allows them to make the laptop smaller.

My wife's current laptop has a dedicated GeForce GT 435M card, but has a i7 quad 2.3 GHz processor which still runs pretty good. It just sucks that the graphics card now holds the rest of it back, because it's actually a nice laptop with some features that are hard to find today, like nice speakers that point up!

Upgrading the RAM a couple years ago from 4 GB to 8 GB gave it some extra life, and I pondered swapping the HDD with a SSD, but at this point, I can't get much more out of it.

Last edited by Mazrim; 05-15-2017 at 12:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #387
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Eh let me know what you pick up for her, I'll probably just buy the same haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #388
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

*sigh*

https://www.apple.com/ca/imac-pro/

Apple thinks that everyone that wants a Mac desktop is either a family or an uber workstation user.

Not every developer wants a laptop Apple!!!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #389
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The iOS UI has become a disaster. It's hard to believe how much cleaner the Android UI has become.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #390
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

here is a link posted on the Cryptocurrency thread and it is likely relevant here too. If you have a RX480/580/470/570 you can sell the cards for more then their original retail price and use the money to buy a better Nvidia card or bank the money for Vega.

Even some of the older R9 cards are getting some significant markup online too. A great time to sell if you are looking to upgrade.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #391
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Destiny 2 announced that on PC it would take advantage of all cores of a CPU. This was in response to the new i9 release. My question is would the new AMD Ryzen CPUs be the best choice for an upgrade right no in respects to D2? I'm looking at reviews etc right now and really curious.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #392
photon

Exp:

Price/performance for large core counts does seem to be on AMD's side, but what do they mean by "taking advantage"? GPU is a much bigger influence isn't it?

I'd be leery of either dropping a huge wad on an i9 or buying into AMD based on D2 performance without seeing some hard benchmarks.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #393
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I'm going to sell my gaming PC. Based on the specs what would be a fair Kijiji price?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX (Black) w/ Tempered Glass Window
MSI Z170A SLI Plus
beQuiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
SanDisk X400 1TB SSD
EVGA GeForce 1080 OC (with Memory Express IPR)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz)
Intel I7-6700K
CableMod ModMesh Cable Kit (WHITE)
NZXT Hue+ RGB Color Changing LED controller
beQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm fans (x 3)

I bought a Windows 10 license but I think it's tied to my Microsoft account so I don't think I can sell it with the computer.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #394
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quick question: I'm looking to upgrade my video card, it's a ATI Radeon HD 5670. It used to be crossfire but one of them died.

My question is which video card should I pick that is affordable? The desktop is a 6.5 year old alienware able to run wolfenstein the new order and the old blood in high resolution but won't run fallout 4 or doom.

Thanks!
Slacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #395
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

If you're looking for a budget card that can run Fallout 4 or Doom well, maybe look at the Radeon RX 550 or 560? I don't have any personal experience with the cards but they seem like nice bang for your buck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #396
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you're looking for a budget card that can run Fallout 4 or Doom well, maybe look at the Radeon RX 550 or 560? I don't have any personal experience with the cards but they seem like nice bang for your buck.
Thank you very much!

I will give it a try!
Slacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #397
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Price/performance for large core counts does seem to be on AMD's side, but what do they mean by "taking advantage"? GPU is a much bigger influence isn't it?

I'd be leery of either dropping a huge wad on an i9 or buying into AMD based on D2 performance without seeing some hard benchmarks.
Well yes, but also current games perform better/are optimized for single core CPUs. This means 4 core CPUs like the 7700k will outperform (slightly) 6 or 8 core Ryzen counterparts that have lower individual clock speed and IPC.

However, if you have the future in mind, and use your PC for more than jsut games. Ryzen 1700 to me seems like a no brainer. Marginally worse gaming for way more benefit to your every day tasks.
jaginla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaginla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #398
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I think I'm going to sell my gaming PC. Based on the specs what would be a fair Kijiji price?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX (Black) w/ Tempered Glass Window
MSI Z170A SLI Plus
beQuiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
SanDisk X400 1TB SSD
EVGA GeForce 1080 OC (with Memory Express IPR)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz)
Intel I7-6700K
CableMod ModMesh Cable Kit (WHITE)
NZXT Hue+ RGB Color Changing LED controller
beQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm fans (x 3)

I bought a Windows 10 license but I think it's tied to my Microsoft account so I don't think I can sell it with the computer.
If you want most money on the resell I would try and sell the parts individually. I see a lot of people trying to shell off their decked out PC's but no one on Kijiji is really looking for that. With the quality of your parts you'll have more luck with builders looking for individual parts imo.

On that note, what's the cable mod PSU? Haha
jaginla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaginla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #399
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginla View Post
If you want most money on the resell I would try and sell the parts individually. I see a lot of people trying to shell off their decked out PC's but no one on Kijiji is really looking for that. With the quality of your parts you'll have more luck with builders looking for individual parts imo.

On that note, what's the cable mod PSU? Haha
Thanks for the advice! I figured it might be hard for people to drop a fair bit of money on one computer.

And I knew I forgot something! It's an EVGA 850 P2.

Actually, maybe the community can help me here. I don't want to sell it but I'm having so much trouble with it and I don't know what to do with it other than to sell it hopefully to someone who knows what they're doing (after I RMA a part).

So a few weeks ago I came back from LA, turned my computer on and everything was fine. After about a day it rebooted on its own. I thought it was a Windows update so I ignored it. However, it started happening more and more. No matter what I was doing the thing would just reboot. I could be downloading something, playing a game, browsing the web, watching a TV show or Youtube, staring at the desktop, or just in my BIOS.

I checked the event viewer and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I even set Windows to not reboot in the event of an error and to show me the error message but I got nothing. It was as if someone pulled the plug on the computer.

I contacted EVGA and they sent over another power supply (refurb I assume). I plugged it in and everything was fine for about two weeks and the reboots started to happen. I knew it wasn't Windows (because it rebooted in the BIOS) but I thought, what the hell, let me re-install Windows. It took 5 attempts before I got through the installation process without a reboot.

I contacted EVGA again and they're sending me a new power supply. I don't know if it'll fix the issue and I've tried everything I know (removed parts, removed RAM, unplug/plug things back in). Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? The only thing I can think of next is to replace the motherboard.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #400
photon

Exp:

Sounds like you're on the right track, a bad power supply can do wacky things sometimes, and it does sound like you're down to the motherboard almost.