Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #2721
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Seriously?? I haven't seen it yet but I'm a fan of the games, I just assumed almost the entire thing was in Spain 600+ years ago...so basically they made a movie out of a game that gets widely hated on, and then structured the movie around the most boring parts of the games that everyone complains about. Wow.

Even though I figured it was bad, my love of the series and of history dictated I'd see it eventually. Now I think I'm out entirely, if it's mostly just present-day.
Assassin's Creed is so bad that I hope the producers go bankrupt. And that includes Fassbender, who I am a fan of, because he has a couple scenes in there that are awful (the singing for example).
Old 05-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #2722
FireGilbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Seriously?? I haven't seen it yet but I'm a fan of the games, I just assumed almost the entire thing was in Spain 600+ years ago...so basically they made a movie out of a game that gets widely hated on, and then structured the movie around the most boring parts of the games that everyone complains about. Wow.

Even though I figured it was bad, my love of the series and of history dictated I'd see it eventually. Now I think I'm out entirely, if it's mostly just present-day.
If you are a fan of the series maybe you will get more out of it but yeah it was really really bad.

The parts in Spain are about 2 minutes at the start and then 3x ~10 minute actions scenes. The action is sort of cool but they don't explain anything that is going on or provide any background on the characters. One of the worst things about the movie is where they repeatedly break from the action in Spain to show Fassbender moving around the annimus for no reason. They also break from one of the Spain scenes at a really exciting part and then provide no explanation about how it was resolved.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:19 AM   #2723
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

GotG has cemented itself as my favorite Marvel franchise. I thought the writing was fantastic; I love movies that, out-of-genre, tackle a single theme from a number of different directions and perspectives. In GotG2, that theme is family, and it hangs together beautifully; it's played out in the two major plot lines of Peter and Gamora, but subtle scenes for both Drax and Rocket fill in the theme more completely. And baby Groot of course in a more literal interpretation of that theme. And of course, the humour, action, soundtrack and cinematic style all continue to do what the first one did so well.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #2724
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
GotG has cemented itself as my favorite Marvel franchise. I thought the writing was fantastic; I love movies that, out-of-genre, tackle a single theme from a number of different directions and perspectives. In GotG2, that theme is family, and it hangs together beautifully; it's played out in the two major plot lines of Peter and Gamora, but subtle scenes for both Drax and Rocket fill in the theme more completely. And baby Groot of course in a more literal interpretation of that theme. And of course, the humour, action, soundtrack and cinematic style all continue to do what the first one did so well.
Mirrored my thoughts exactly. Well put. It's interesting to have a family film actually discuss themes of family. It's been noticeably absent from family entertainment over the years.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #2725
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Mirrored my thoughts exactly. Well put. It's interesting to have a family film actually discuss themes of family. It's been noticeably absent from family entertainment over the years.
Vin Diesel says otherwise. He's all about family... strangely he's in both franchises pushing that right now.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #2726
FireGilbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Vin Diesel says otherwise. He's all about family... strangely he's in both franchises pushing that right now.
xXx also had some of those themes. Too funny.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #2727
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else seen A Man Called Ove? Watched this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #2728
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Alien: Covenant a lot.

Bridges a lot of plot gaps between Prometheus and Alien, had an excellent selection of gore, Fassbender is immaculate, and was entertaining throughout.

As many critics have mentioned, it really doesn't do anything new, but it's extremely well made and is devoid (thankfully) of the really awful fridge logic stuff from Prometheus. The CGI is much better as well.

8/10 from me. Certainly not perfect but happy to sit in a recliner seat and enjoy it opening night.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #2729
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I liked Alien: Covenant a lot.

Bridges a lot of plot gaps between Prometheus and Alien, had an excellent selection of gore, Fassbender is immaculate, and was entertaining throughout.

As many critics have mentioned, it really doesn't do anything new, but it's extremely well made and is devoid (thankfully) of the really awful fridge logic stuff from Prometheus. The CGI is much better as well.

8/10 from me. Certainly not perfect but happy to sit in a recliner seat and enjoy it opening night.

Spoiler!
Would you recommend this to someone who loves Alien/Aliens but hated Prometheus?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #2730
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go see Maudie!! Great little film about Canadian artist Maud Lewis, starring Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke! Absolutely loved it.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #2731
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Would you recommend this to someone who loves Alien/Aliens but hated Prometheus?
Depends, what did you hate about Prometheus?

For me Prometheus was about a 6.5; it had some excellent visuals, I loved every scene with Guy Pierce, and about half the deaths were creative. I disliked the Engineer action and the "Charlize running" scene almost ruined the whole movie.

If what you hated was characters throwing all pretense off judgement out the window and using horror-movie logic, while Covenant isn't devoid of this, I can only think of one glaring example, compared to about 10 in Prometheus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #2732
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Depends, what did you hate about Prometheus?

For me Prometheus was about a 6.5; it had some excellent visuals, I loved every scene with Guy Pierce, and about half the deaths were creative. I disliked the Engineer action and the "Charlize running" scene almost ruined the whole movie.

If what you hated was characters throwing all pretense off judgement out the window and using horror-movie logic, while Covenant isn't devoid of this, I can only think of one glaring example, compared to about 10 in Prometheus.
Pretty much this. I understand that errors in judgement usually have to happen in order to get the plot in motion but I've never seen a larger collection of stupid people than in Prometheus.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #2733
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Alien Covenant last night and I feel I'm being pretty generous in giving it a 7/10. Personally I liked Prometheus better. The latest movie straddles the line between Alien and Prometheus but is neither and revolves more around;
Spoiler!

That said I feel it sets things up for a more focussed next movie.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #2734
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd also give Alien Covenant a solid 7/10. I'd argue it's the 3rd best in the series so far, right behind the first two films (obviously), and slightly ahead of Alien 3 and Prometheus. It's very well made with some impressive visuals, CGI and gore effects. Fassbender steals the show.

Spoiler!

I admit I still have a soft spot for Alien 3, which many fans of the series seem to dislike. Personally I found the prison colony concept in that film really interesting, and Sigourney gives one of her best performances. Great supporting cast as well with guys like Charles Dance, Pete Postlethwaite, and Charles S. Dutton. Yea, it's not a great film. But it's still pretty decent entertainment for the most part, and a promising debut from a young David Fincher. That being said, it still bugs me that he killed off Hicks and Newt. Those three characters together in that scenario would have made for a fun ride.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #2735
oldschoolcalgary
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Wow thank you Itse for recommending Oculus and Babadok, loved both of them! Wish we had more like them, I had already seen the Witch and enjoyed it as well, but not on the level of the other two.
loved babadok but haven't seen Oculus... so i will have to check it out....

another under rated horror (or i guess more of a thriller) is It Follows... i thought it was really great and not at all what i thought it would be - which was a kind of mindless b-rated sexploitation horror movie...

oddly enough, this is going to sound a bit weird, but on Youtube, you can find the Last of Us - The Movie (marathon edition)... which is considered one of the best games of the last generation, and still one of the best game ever...

if you've got time, watch the first 12 minutes until the title credits... i still think that story is as good as any movie i've ever watched and hold hope that they'd be able to do it justice when it does finally get turned into a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLPKd-Vs8g
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #2736
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
another under rated horror (or i guess more of a thriller) is It Follows... i thought it was really great and not at all what i thought it would be - which was a kind of mindless b-rated sexploitation horror movie...
I second this recommendation. Awesome flick with a creepy atmosphere. The soundtrack is really cool as well. Very old school John Carpenter-esque.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #2737
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to King Arthur last night. Fell asleep with about 20 minutes left.

This one is not good and felt disjointed. I think i'll watch the Director's cut when it comes out on DVD, if only to see the 15 of the last 20 minutes that I slept through.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 AM   #2738
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 05-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #2739
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder Woman

Spoiler!
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #2740
speede5
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Aliens was meh, easy on the eyes with great fx, but I didn't like the story all that much, they could have found a better way to make Fassbender the main character, and there was zero suspense. The horror aspect was entirely predictable, I lol'd several times.

That said I thought it was beautiful on the big screen.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote