Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
shermanator
#1 Goaltender
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default The Canadian Men's Soccer Team Thread

Figured I would start a thread dedicated to the Canadian Men's Soccer Team. After the disaster of the 2014 World Cup Qualification I think there will be a period of big turnover, and a lot of young players will get capped.

Three friendlies for Canada are planned in the first few months of 2013. They are against Denmark on Jan 26 in Tuscon, against the US on Jan 29 in Houston, and against Japan on March 22 in Qatar. Pretty busy schedule for a non World Cup year.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=413219

Colin Miller of FC Edmonton is the interim head coach while the search for a full time coach is going on.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...in-miller.html
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Matty81
First Line Centre
 
Matty81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Exp:
Default

Thanks for starting the thread. First new young guy getting capped for the Denmark and Japan friendlies is Kyle Bekker, who just signed an MLS contract and will be drafted in the upcoming MLS draft.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...e-home-1.40936
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
PIMking
Franchise Player
 
PIMking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Exp:
Default

I feel bad, well sorta bad for you canadians that love soccer. But you're too damn good at hockey. So you can suck at hockey like the germans and be good at soccer or kick ass in hockey and suck at soccer
__________________
Thank you for everything CP. Good memories and thankful for everything that has been done to help me out. I will no longer take part on these boards. Take care, Go Flames Go.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
polak
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I feel bad, well sorta bad for you canadians that love soccer. But you're too damn good at hockey. So you can suck at hockey like the germans and be good at soccer or kick ass in hockey and suck at soccer
Yeah, I can't imagine how hard it must be to truly love the sport and not have a real home team to support in any tourney.

I mean, I was choked when Canada choked but at least I have Poland to cheer for who at least almost always has a good shot at qualifying.

Stay strong.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
shermanator
#1 Goaltender
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Thanks for starting the thread. First new young guy getting capped for the Denmark and Japan friendlies is Kyle Bekker, who just signed an MLS contract and will be drafted in the upcoming MLS draft.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...e-home-1.40936
Nana Attakora is also playing in the friendlies as well. Shame that he fell out of favour at TFC, it really de-railed his career. Currently playing with Haka in the Finnish 2nd division.

Quote:
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro Nana Attakora's agent told me he's been called up by #CanMNT for the 2 friendlies later this month. @callitfootball
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player
 
M*A*S*H 4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Nice to see them with some friendlies lined up. Hopefully some young guys will step up over the next year or two
__________________
‏"The world is in no fit state to deal with a tomorrow without Philipp Lahm on the pitch" -- Stefan Bienkowski
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Yeah, I can't imagine how hard it must be to truly love the sport and not have a real home team to support in any tourney.

I mean, I was choked when Canada choked but at least I have Poland to cheer for who at least almost always has a good shot at qualifying.

Stay strong.
yea, I would enjoy the world cup wayyy more if Canada were in it. maybe 2018
__________________
GO FLAMES, STAMPEDERS, ROUGHNECKS and HITMEN!
CFL Rules(and it IS REAL FOOTBALL)
calgaryrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
GirlySports
Franchise Player
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
yea, I would enjoy the world cup wayyy more if Canada were in it. maybe 2018
Not even the World Cup, I'd take them just being in the HEX and having tension in those matches!
GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

The Japan match is just cannon fodder / target practice for the Japanese. They need some practice field time in Qatari weather / humidity.

While I like the Japan and Denmark match-ups, I actually think Canada is better served doing friendlies against Central and South American teams, teams they will have to play against in future qualification rounds. They bring a particular brand of soccer than Canada needs to master, and focus on getting their young guys engrained in.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
GirlySports
Franchise Player
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The Japan match is just cannon fodder / target practice for the Japanese. They need some practice field time in Qatari weather / humidity.

While I like the Japan and Denmark match-ups, I actually think Canada is better served doing friendlies against Central and South American teams, teams they will have to play against in future qualification rounds. They bring a particular brand of soccer than Canada needs to master, and focus on getting their young guys engrained in.
Not only that but I would go one further and hire a Mexican coach. Mexico knows how to beat the crud out of Honduras and Panama.
GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player
 
Traditional_Ale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CGY
Exp:
Default

I couldn't care less about Canada's international efforts in soccer.

I want a Calgary MLS team.
__________________

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I couldn't care less about Canada's international efforts in soccer.

I want a Calgary MLS team.
Really?

You may not get one in Calgary without enough success at the international level to draw serious interest.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
shermanator
#1 Goaltender
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I couldn't care less about Canada's international efforts in soccer.

I want a Calgary MLS team.
If that's the case than I guess you won't be participating much in this thread! Calgary is not getting an MLS team anytime remotely soon. The MLS commissioner has said he is done expanding to Canada for the time being.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player
 
M*A*S*H 4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Not only that but I would go one further and hire a Mexican coach. Mexico knows how to beat the crud out of Honduras and Panama.
I would be in favour of this. While my preference would still be to find a Dutch or German coach with some experience, being able to play a style resembling that of the CONCACAF teams would be an asset as all the qualifying is against them.
__________________
‏"The world is in no fit state to deal with a tomorrow without Philipp Lahm on the pitch" -- Stefan Bienkowski
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I would be in favour of this. While my preference would still be to find a Dutch or German coach with some experience, being able to play a style resembling that of the CONCACAF teams would be an asset as all the qualifying is against them.
there would be no point to hire a coach to teach any type of possession or total football on a senior team, they would get found out against any half way decent side who can press (Mexico comes immediately to mind)

that needs to be started at the youth level to have any success at senior level
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
shermanator
#1 Goaltender
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Speculation on a few more names to the roster. I'm really curious on Teibert and what he brings to the team as forward has been our weakest position in recent years.

Quote:
Gerry Dobson ‏@SNGerryDobson Expect to see the likes of Kyle Bekker, Andres Fresenga and Russell Teibert with the #canMNT for the upcoming games. Great to see new blood.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
shermanator
#1 Goaltender
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Here's the squad for the January friendlies. A very young squad. Only Hirschfeld, De Rosario, Dunfield, and Ledgerwood were regulars in the last Would Cup Qualification cycle

Attakora, Nana | 1989 | Brampton, ON, CAN & Orangeville, ON, CAN | Brampton SC
Beaulieu-Bourgault, Jonathan | 1988 | Île Bizard, QC, CAN | Lac St-Louis
Bekker, Kyle | 1990 | Oakville, ON, CAN | Oakville SC
Davies, Philippe | 1990 | Longueuil, QC, CAN | St-Hubert
De Rosario, Dwayne | 1978 | Scarborough, ON, CAN | Scarborough Blizzard
Dunfield, Terry | 1982 | Vancouver, BC, CAN | Point Grey
Fresenga, Andrés | 1992 | Toronto, ON, CAN | Toronto Argentina
Gomez, Emmanuel | 1987 | Victoria, BC, CAN |
Henry, Doneil | 1993 | Brampton, ON, CAN | Ontario Youth Soccer
Hirschfeld, Lars | 1978 | Edmonton, AB, CAN |
Jaković, Dejan | 1985 | Etobicoke, ON, CAN |
James, Evan | 1990 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | Mississauga SC
Jonke, Frank | 1985 | Pickering, ON, CAN |
Ledgerwood, Nik | 1985 | Lethbridge, AB, CAN | Lethbridge Cosmos
Morgan, Ashtone | 1991 | Toronto, ON, CAN | West End United
Porter, Kyle | 1990 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | North Mississauga SC
Ricketts, Tosaint | 1987 | Edmonton, AB, CAN | Edmonton Juventus
Stillo, Roberto | 1991 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | Erin Mills SC
Stinson, Matt | 1992 | Toronto, ON, CAN | Armour Heights SA
Teibert, Russell | 1992 | Niagara Falls, ON, CAN | Niagara Falls SC
Thomas, Simon | 1990 | Victoria, BC, CAN | Bays United SC
Trafford, Mason | 1986 | North Vancouver, BC, CAN |
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
MillerTime GFG
Powerplay Quarterback
 
MillerTime GFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mckenzie Towne
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Here's the squad for the January friendlies. A very young squad. Only Hirschfeld, De Rosario, Dunfield, and Ledgerwood were regulars in the last Would Cup Qualification cycle

Attakora, Nana | 1989 | Brampton, ON, CAN & Orangeville, ON, CAN | Brampton SC
Beaulieu-Bourgault, Jonathan | 1988 | Île Bizard, QC, CAN | Lac St-Louis
Bekker, Kyle | 1990 | Oakville, ON, CAN | Oakville SC
Davies, Philippe | 1990 | Longueuil, QC, CAN | St-Hubert
De Rosario, Dwayne | 1978 | Scarborough, ON, CAN | Scarborough Blizzard
Dunfield, Terry | 1982 | Vancouver, BC, CAN | Point Grey
Fresenga, Andrés | 1992 | Toronto, ON, CAN | Toronto Argentina
Gomez, Emmanuel | 1987 | Victoria, BC, CAN |
Henry, Doneil | 1993 | Brampton, ON, CAN | Ontario Youth Soccer
Hirschfeld, Lars | 1978 | Edmonton, AB, CAN |
Jaković, Dejan | 1985 | Etobicoke, ON, CAN |
James, Evan | 1990 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | Mississauga SC
Jonke, Frank | 1985 | Pickering, ON, CAN |
Ledgerwood, Nik | 1985 | Lethbridge, AB, CAN | Lethbridge Cosmos
Morgan, Ashtone | 1991 | Toronto, ON, CAN | West End United
Porter, Kyle | 1990 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | North Mississauga SC
Ricketts, Tosaint | 1987 | Edmonton, AB, CAN | Edmonton Juventus
Stillo, Roberto | 1991 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | Erin Mills SC
Stinson, Matt | 1992 | Toronto, ON, CAN | Armour Heights SA
Teibert, Russell | 1992 | Niagara Falls, ON, CAN | Niagara Falls SC
Thomas, Simon | 1990 | Victoria, BC, CAN | Bays United SC
Trafford, Mason | 1986 | North Vancouver, BC, CAN |
So much good talent out here in the west, yet still always overlooked. All you see is Ontario, Ontario, Ontario. What a joke.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
polak
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Exp:
Default

Man those clubs are terrible.

Edmonton Juventus?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
shermanator
#1 Goaltender
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Man those clubs are terrible.

Edmonton Juventus?
Those are the youth clubs they played for.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016