Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #981
TheSutterDynasty
Powerplay Quarterback
 
TheSutterDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Been trying a lot of the beers from Le Trou du Diable, out of Shawinigan Quebec, lately. Great distribution out west for whatever reason. Anyway, their specialty is the Belgian style like many Quebec breweries, but do have some decent pale ales. Awesome art work on the labels as well.
How are there Belgian style brews? How does the price compare to Unibrou?

Unibrou makes my favorite beer but the price tag always hurts a little bit. Although when you're getting 750ml of tripel or quad it makes sense.
__________________
fan noun: an ardent admirer or enthusiast
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #982
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Nice. Which stores carry them?
Oak & Vine for sure. I haven't been up there myself but I have been told Craft Cellars was also going to have them. If anybody is up in Edmonton I also know that Sherbrooke has them.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #983
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player
 
Flabbibulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
How are there Belgian style brews? How does the price compare to Unibrou?

Unibrou makes my favorite beer but the price tag always hurts a little bit. Although when you're getting 750ml of tripel or quad it makes sense.

edit- oops, misread your post. Thought you were asking about my collective arts post.

Anyway, I recall most of their bombers being around 7.99- with Co op being a big seller. Hard to compare them to unibroue, being arguably the best belgian style brewery in Canada. Pretty sure unibroue bombers are closer to $10 at most stores?

Of course, anything from outside Alberta-BC-Sask is overpriced these days... which brings up the point that it is really unfortunate how poor the selection in Alberta has become for craft imports... particularly the American micro breweries. Prices have just made it unsustainable- no one is going to pay $25+ for a six or $12 for a bomber. And while it is awesome that breweries around here are popping up all the time, the reality is many of them have a long way to go in terms of quality.
__________________
Catfight: A Panther vs. a Puss

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-01-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #984
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player
 
Flabbibulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Exp:
Default

It seems the Hack & Lube thread has become the new offfical CP beer thread, but I didn't wanna complain about beer prices in there.

Anyway, down in the States for the weekend and picked up a couple of my favorites for a whoppin $8-$9 per 6. They all had bottling dates in the last month (which is pretty ideal for IPAs). I picked up one the same beers, Firestone Walker Union jack, at liquor depot in Calgary about a month ago for around $25 and it had an enjoy by date of August 2016. Ya, not a big surprise as we already know this, but still find it crazy.
__________________
Catfight: A Panther vs. a Puss

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-19-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #985
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
It seems the Hack & Lube thread has become the new offfical CP beer thread, but I didn't wanna complain about beer prices in there.

Anyway, down in the States for the weekend and picked up a couple of my favorites for a whoppin $8-$9 per 6. They all had bottling dates in the last month (which is pretty ideal for IPAs). I picked up one the same beers, Firestone Walker Union jack, at liquor depot in Calgary about a month ago for around $25 and it had an enjoy by date of August 2016. Ya, not a big surprise as we already know this, but still find it crazy.
It's largely a tax issue. Ballooning public spending + resistance to income and sales tax increases = governments eagerly filling the gap with sin taxes. Canada has reached Scandinavian prices for alcohol, which would have been an astonishing prospect 20 years ago. At some point you'd think prices will significantly suppress sales.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #986
Canehdianman
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
It seems the Hack & Lube thread has become the new offfical CP beer thread, but I didn't wanna complain about beer prices in there.

Anyway, down in the States for the weekend and picked up a couple of my favorites for a whoppin $8-$9 per 6. They all had bottling dates in the last month (which is pretty ideal for IPAs). I picked up one the same beers, Firestone Walker Union jack, at liquor depot in Calgary about a month ago for around $25 and it had an enjoy by date of August 2016. Ya, not a big surprise as we already know this, but still find it crazy.
make your own.

No sin taxes on sacks of malted grain.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #987
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's largely a tax issue. Ballooning public spending + resistance to income and sales tax increases = governments eagerly filling the gap with sin taxes. Canada has reached Scandinavian prices for alcohol, which would have been an astonishing prospect 20 years ago. At some point you'd think prices will significantly suppress sales.
Private liquor stores in BC are hurting.

Booze cost me 15% more today than it did just two years ago.

It has definitely impacted my buying habits.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
lol Sbisa and Trampkyn comparing ass kickings
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #988
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Here's the weird thing: BC's actually cheaper than here. I go there and get craft singles for at least 15% less than they cost here.
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #989
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default

With Alberta having an extra tax on anything not brewed in this province, that isn't surprising.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #990
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Why drink anything but McNally's Reserve anyway?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
lol Sbisa and Trampkyn comparing ass kickings
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #991
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Why drink anything but McNally's Reserve anyway?
For me it is Traditional.

It really has to be one of the best mass produced beers going.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #992
TheSutterDynasty
Powerplay Quarterback
 
TheSutterDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
edit- oops, misread your post. Thought you were asking about my collective arts post.

Anyway, I recall most of their bombers being around 7.99- with Co op being a big seller. Hard to compare them to unibroue, being arguably the best belgian style brewery in Canada. Pretty sure unibroue bombers are closer to $10 at most stores?

Of course, anything from outside Alberta-BC-Sask is overpriced these days... which brings up the point that it is really unfortunate how poor the selection in Alberta has become for craft imports... particularly the American micro breweries. Prices have just made it unsustainable- no one is going to pay $25+ for a six or $12 for a bomber. And while it is awesome that breweries around here are popping up all the time, the reality is many of them have a long way to go in terms of quality.
Thanks for this. Unibrou is a once a month treat at most for me for that reason, and even lesser quality tripels are delicious (ie big rock has one edit:i lied thats a bourbon barrel aged ale I'm thinking of) so alternatives are nice.
__________________
fan noun: an ardent admirer or enthusiast

Last edited by TheSutterDynasty; 05-19-2017 at 07:55 PM.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016