rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act Becomes Law in Canada

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...621367873.html

A really great step in the right direction
Insane that this wasn't already a thing.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #2222
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Trudeau violated conflict of interest rules by appointing John Jerhalt as head of the Liberal party finances

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kpmg...urer-1.4115692

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has violated his own conflict of interest guidelines for cabinet ministers, the head of Democracy Watch, an advocacy group on government ethics, says.

The alleged conflict stems from the appointment in June 2016 of John Herhalt, the national "public sector leader" for accounting firm KPMG, as treasurer of the Liberal Party. That appointment came the same month that a Liberal-dominated parliamentary committee halted its investigation of KPMG's offshore tax dodge in the Isle of Man, according to an investigation by the CBC's The Fifth Estate.

Though Herhalt retired from the firm in 2013, he told CBC he later returned on contract to KPMG in 2016 and remained there until October — five months after he was chosen to oversee the party's finances. To this day, he responds to his KPMG email in communications with The Fifth Estate.
Justin recuses himself from selecting a new ethics watchdog as the investigation into his Christmas Vacation continues

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...thics-watchdog

Vacation Island has links to Corporations that are based in countries that are tax havens

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bell...khan-1.4115531

The missing Indigenous Woman's Inquiry is a disaster

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/missing...ates-1.3414529

Quote:
OTTAWA -- More than 30 advocates, indigenous leaders and family members issued an open letter Monday to the chief commissioner of the inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women, suggesting the process is in "serious trouble."

The group writes that while it is aware the commission has a difficult challenge, immediate action must be taken to prevent damage and shift the current approach of the inquiry.

The letter, posted on the website of Metis artist Christi Belcourt, says people are "deeply concerned" by a continued lack of communication that's been fostering anxiety, frustration, confusion and disappointment.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #2223
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Liberals have always been the very definition of do as I say not as I do. I don't fault Justin personally as it's engrained in the party. My disappointment is that I assumed after being humbled last decade they would leave learned from their mistakes but it's like they have basically picked up right where they left off after Martin.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #2224
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Liberals have always been the very definition of do as I say not as I do. I don't fault Justin personally as it's engrained in the party. My disappointment is that I assumed after being humbled last decade they would leave learned from their mistakes but it's like they have basically picked up right where they left off after Martin.
And let's not forget that Martin was a huge improvement over the latter years of his predecessor.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #2225
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like we're heading into a a major trade confrontation with the US. On top of that the bailout of Bombardier looks to have backfired on the battered company.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bomb...tawa-1.4123209

Bombardier was basically accused of dumping planes to Delta in the 5 billion dollar C series jet sale at below cost due to the Government of Quebec and the Federal government loans to the company which is illegal.

Boeing is basically claiming that this will push them out of the mid sized passenger jet market unfairly.

If this is found to be true, the US Government will apply a nearly 80% countervaluing duty and a nearly 80% anti-dumping duty, which Bombardier will have to pay out of their pocket.

So far Canada has threatened the Super Hornet contract (Which in my mind should be cancelled not because of this but because its a fracking stupid idea) and Bombardier has threatened mass layoffs.

Right now, I would have to argue that by the time the Brussels NATO meeting is over that Canada US relations will be at its lowest point since Justin's dad was in power.

And before anyone jumps on me, no I'm not blaming Justin. However anyone could see that this was coming as soon as the Government of Quebec and the government of canada wrote checks to Bombardier.

the American's will have the same reaction if the government of Canada moves to subsidize softwood lumber.

Buckle your hat folks, we're heading to a trade war.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #2226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
And let's not forget that Martin was a huge improvement over the latter years of his predecessor.
I hated Chretien I thought he was dirty and vindictive and a angry little man with a dishonesty streak, but frankly I almost admired the way that he politically murdered Paul Martin out of sheer hate.

Chretien as a Sith Lord.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #2227
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we are about to have an internal, provincial trade war as well.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #2228
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Barriers are going up instead of coming down.

If the American's take solid aim at us as a object lesson to other countries in Donald Trumps strive for America first and fair trade is fair trade, our entire economy could basically come apart at the seams.

We can threaten America all we want, and convince ourselves that hurting Canada will hurt the States, but the States is in the unique position of being able to take more then they give in any negotiation if they take a hard stand.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #2229
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Looks like we're heading into a a major trade confrontation with the US. On top of that the bailout of Bombardier looks to have backfired on the battered company.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bomb...tawa-1.4123209

Bombardier was basically accused of dumping planes to Delta in the 5 billion dollar C series jet sale at below cost due to the Government of Quebec and the Federal government loans to the company which is illegal.

Boeing is basically claiming that this will push them out of the mid sized passenger jet market unfairly.

If this is found to be true, the US Government will apply a nearly 80% countervaluing duty and a nearly 80% anti-dumping duty, which Bombardier will have to pay out of their pocket.

So far Canada has threatened the Super Hornet contract (Which in my mind should be cancelled not because of this but because its a fracking stupid idea) and Bombardier has threatened mass layoffs.

Right now, I would have to argue that by the time the Brussels NATO meeting is over that Canada US relations will be at its lowest point since Justin's dad was in power.

And before anyone jumps on me, no I'm not blaming Justin. However anyone could see that this was coming as soon as the Government of Quebec and the government of canada wrote checks to Bombardier.

the American's will have the same reaction if the government of Canada moves to subsidize softwood lumber.

Buckle your hat folks, we're heading to a trade war.
I think that's pure hindsight bias. There were a lot of things to be critical of the Bombardier deal for, and I was/am in that camp for sure. But I don't think it was predictable that they were dumping off planes as a result.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #2230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that's pure hindsight bias. There were a lot of things to be critical of the Bombardier deal for, and I was/am in that camp for sure. But I don't think it was predictable that they were dumping off planes as a result.
Maybe, however I say this because of two things

American governments have always been hyper sensitive about the Canadian government subsidizing market sectors, that's just shown throughout history

American governments will always protect what they consider to be their frontline heart beat of America industries like Auto, aerospace and to an extent computers and high tech.

I had my oh oh moment on this one when Bombardier announced that they were seeking government loans at favorable conditions and announcing C series sales into the states.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #2231
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What's interesting is that there's a elegant logic in Boeings claim.

They're claiming that the C series wasn't selling at all, until they got the loan guarantee from Quebec who gained a 45% stake in the C Series, and that loan allowed Bombardier to shift their pricing at a predatory level which got them the Delta Deal, the Delta deal allowed Bombardier to bench mark that pricing and get other deals for the C series

Boeing is claiming a loss of $330 million in revenue.

What goes against Boeing is that they don't have a 100-150 foot jet in the C series class. they have 160 seat and up planes which are a different class.

What could also be argued is that Boeing has received subsidies and tax breaks from the US government that were far larger, however the US government never had an active stake in Boeing like the Government of Quebec had in Bombardier.

I don't know how far this will go, I don't think that they're going to see a 80/80 duty.

What it will do though is make investors a lot more gun shy about Bombardier.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #2232
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
And we are about to have an internal, provincial trade war as well.
Yeah, it's pretty tough to work up indignation over threatened U.S. trade sanctions when Canadian provinces impose all sorts of barriers to deter inter-provincial trade.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #2233
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting article on foreign moneys effects on the 2015 election.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/nation...deral-election

Quote:
Foreign money funnelled towards Canadian political advocacy groups affected the outcome of the 2015 federal election, according to a document filed last week with Elections Canada and obtained exclusively by the Herald.
The 36-page report entitled: Elections Canada Complaint Regarding Foreign Influence in the 2015 Canadian Election, alleges third parties worked with each other, which may have bypassed election spending limits — all of which appears to be in contravention of the Canada Elections Act.

The Canada Elections Act states that “a third party shall not circumvent, or attempt to circumvent, a limit set out . . . in any manner, including by splitting itself into two or more third parties for the purpose of circumventing the limit or acting in collusion with another third party so that their combined election advertising expenses exceed the limit.”

“Electoral outcomes were influenced,” alleges the report.
Frankly groups like Tides and some of the unions need to be auditable and lose their tax free status due to their political activities.

Kathleen Wynn used the unions and third party groups as her personal hit squad during the last provincial election.

Quote:
In total, the 114 third parties spent $6 million and many of those third parties were funded by California-and New York-based Tides Foundation — which is known in Canada for holding numerous anti-Canadian oil campaigns.
In 2015, Tides Foundation donated $1.5 million of U.S. money to Canadian third parties in the election year, according to the report.

Crockatt’s seat was one of the 29 targeted by an organization called Leadnow through its “largest ever campaign” called Vote Together. The complaint by Canada Decides alleges that foreign money “spawned” Leadnow and helped fund an elaborate campaign to oust the ruling Conservative Par
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #2234
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting article on foreign moneys effects on the 2015 election.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/nation...deral-election

Quote:
Foreign money funnelled towards Canadian political advocacy groups affected the outcome of the 2015 federal election, according to a document filed last week with Elections Canada and obtained exclusively by the Herald.
The 36-page report entitled: Elections Canada Complaint Regarding Foreign Influence in the 2015 Canadian Election, alleges third parties worked with each other, which may have bypassed election spending limits — all of which appears to be in contravention of the Canada Elections Act.

The Canada Elections Act states that “a third party shall not circumvent, or attempt to circumvent, a limit set out . . . in any manner, including by splitting itself into two or more third parties for the purpose of circumventing the limit or acting in collusion with another third party so that their combined election advertising expenses exceed the limit.”

“Electoral outcomes were influenced,” alleges the report.
Frankly groups like Tides and some of the unions need to be auditable and lose their tax free status due to their political activities.

Kathleen Wynn used the unions and third party groups as her personal hit squad during the last provincial election.

Quote:
In total, the 114 third parties spent $6 million and many of those third parties were funded by California-and New York-based Tides Foundation — which is known in Canada for holding numerous anti-Canadian oil campaigns.
In 2015, Tides Foundation donated $1.5 million of U.S. money to Canadian third parties in the election year, according to the report.

Crockatt’s seat was one of the 29 targeted by an organization called Leadnow through its “largest ever campaign” called Vote Together. The complaint by Canada Decides alleges that foreign money “spawned” Leadnow and helped fund an elaborate campaign to oust the ruling Conservative Par
I also think that if a group like Leadnow spends money on a candidate in a riding the money they spend should be added to the candidates election spending.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #2235
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
There are a metric ton of orgs that ought to lose tax free status due to their political activities but the ideological composition of them would probably be net neutral so what's the point.

I mean if you're going start stripping tax exempt status for de facto (as opposed to official) partisan political activity The Fraser Institute and Manning Centre ought to be 1 & 2 on the chopping block.

Quote:
I also think that if a group like Leadnow spends money on a candidate in a riding the money they spend should be added to the candidates election spending.
Don't be silly. Candidates shouldn't be dinged over the activities of groups they don't control. What's to stop me from spending a ton of money on really bad ads in "support" of candidate X (who I don't really support) simply to drain their allotment?

Last edited by Parallex; 05-23-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #2236
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
There are a metric ton of orgs that ought to lose tax free status due to their political activities but the ideological composition of them would probably be net neutral so what's the point.

I mean if you're going start stripping tax exempt status for de facto (as opposed to official) partisan political activity The Fraser Institute and Manning Centre ought to be 1 & 2 on the chopping block.

Don't be silly. Candidates shouldn't be dinged over the activities of groups they don't control. What's to stop me from spending a ton of money on really bad ads in "support" of candidate X (who I don't really support) simply to drain their allotment?
I think all groups that take any kind of foreign money and then engage in political campaigns should lose their tax exemption status.

On your second part then during an election these third party groups can't advertise and can't campaign, if they are receiving foreign funding.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #2237
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
While I don't completely disagree, to me there is a world of difference between Canadian activist 'institutes' and foreign activists.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #2238
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
While I don't completely disagree, to me there is a world of difference between Canadian activist 'institutes' and foreign activists.
You don't really think they don't get funding from foreigners do you?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #2239
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, I haven't ever thought of it enough to care to look into it.

That said, that they are Canadian makes a difference to me
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #2240
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm guessing that father's day is going to be awkward.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill...uiry-1.4129627

Quote:
Bill Wilson, a hereditary chief and the father of federal Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould, says the national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls is a "bloody farce" and the commissioners leading it need to be replaced.