Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #101
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
There was a famous case in Los Angeles in 2006 mirroring these same circumstances.

About 300 families were using property that didn't belong to them for community gardening.

The new owner evicted them to build a warehouse. I believe the landowner ultimately won his right to claim use of his land but as of last year had yet to build his warehouse and the land was vacant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_Farm

Cowperson

Was made into a movie. While the movie is unabashedly supporting the squatters the story does bring up legitimate questions on the primacy of property rights.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #102
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Who in their right mind wouldn't ask permission first?
The same kind of moronic hippie who thinks that painting a fence in numerous neon colours while adding brightly painted old tires makes an empty lot look better?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #103
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FYI, Calgary Puck got a shut out for this thread on the CBC Eyeopener today. They had a discussion panel about it and one of the participants made a reference to this thread. Specifically to RougeUnderoos' post (mowing a neighbor's lawn vs cutting down his tree).
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yads For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #104
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take up the city's offer and move your hippy lettuce, i mean potatoes on a lot they suggest. Nothing like a good old tire potato garden...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #105
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Take up the city's offer and move your hippy lettuce, i mean potatoes on a lot they suggest. Nothing like a good old tire potato garden...
taking up the city's offer is not an option. if john mar, or you for that matter, knew anything about these gardens he would have known how full they really are already. so if he really wants people to grow food in community gardens, then maybe he should take some initiative to expand the current facilitates or create new ones. i mean, look at all the energy and effort he put forth to kick somebody out; 10 police officers while he hid in the van!

here is a quick list from the calgary horticultural society list (community gardens) of community gardens;

banff trail - 20 beds with 40 gardeners
bow bottom - 20 beds with 20 gardeners
brentwood - 17 beds with n/a gardeners
cambrian heights - 9 beds with 12 gardeners
douglasdale - 37 beds with 30 families
mount pleasant - 30 beds with 50 gardeners
ramsay - 13 beds with 15 gardeners
rundle - 1 plot with 25 gardeners
currie - 26 beds with 50 gardeners
west springs - 8 beds with 12 gardeners
bridgeland riverside - 4 beds with 12 gardeners
cliff bungalow/mission - 48 beds with n/a gardeners

edit: i also wanted to add how ridiculous it would be to expect somebody who wants to grow food to have to travel to the end of the city to find a garden bed to do so. the right to food is one of the most important human rights issues right up there with water access.

Last edited by moncton golden flames; 05-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.
moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #106
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
FYI, Calgary Puck got a shut out for this thread on the CBC Eyeopener today. They had a discussion panel about it and one of the participants made a reference to this thread. Specifically to RougeUnderoos' post (mowing a neighbor's lawn vs cutting down his tree).
Feels meta to be posting something about CalgaryPuck to CalgaryPuck... but here we go:
http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/columnis...garden-debate/
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #107
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly think John Mar was convinced this was an Occupy Calgary move, rather than some lady simply planting potatoes on a lot that was not hers. That is the only logical explanation for bringing a van of cops to deal with what amounts to trespassing and extremely minor vandalism.

Anything else, and he is a complete nutjob, and I tend to think that more often than not, people who are complete nutjobs don't win elections.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #108
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
They interviewed The Potato Lady on CBC today.

The way she had it, Mar went by and 15 minutes later he was back with a paddy wagon and eventually 10 uniformed cops.

TEN. Sure, she's a hippie, so probably can't count, but I don't think this has been disputed. It was even explained away with the hilarious "Occupy Calgary Part Deux" nonsense.

Anyway, I'd love for someone to put their "Law and Order Hat" and explain how that was necessary. I'm sure it can done to hilarious results.

Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?
I believe it.

Been there, done that.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #109
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I honestly think John Mar was convinced this was an Occupy Calgary move, rather than some lady simply planting potatoes on a lot that was not hers.
the 'potatoes for the people' sign and the kid must have been what made him think it was occupy. he is a coward for not at least starting a dialogue with his neighbour before calling in the cavalry. this smells like a 'shoot first, ask questions later' kind of approach he took and it was cowardly and un-neighbourly.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #110
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
the 'potatoes for the people' sign and the kid must have been what made him think it was occupy. he is a coward for not at least starting a dialogue with his neighbour before calling in the cavalry. this smells like a 'shoot first, ask questions later' kind of approach he took and it was cowardly and un-neighbourly.
As I understand it the tires did have "occupy" messages on them. They were turned inward and no longer visible by the time media arrived.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #111
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm just angry that this is news. This is quite possibly the most trivial news story in history.

It does not effect my view of the city, the alderman involved, the police, the hippies.

All it does is make me angry that this story is on the radar. For the love of god can we please focus on things that actually affect our city?

Can the next story be about the neighbor who lets his dog #### on my lawn? Or the guy who constantly merges too slowly? Hell basically the entire GMG thread is more newsworthy than this crap.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #112
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Apparently there was a former Occupy participant there and someone had written "Occupy Calgary" on one of the tires, so I think it was more than potatoes and a pasty faced kid.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #113
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Feels meta to be posting something about CalgaryPuck to CalgaryPuck... but here we go:
http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/columnis...garden-debate/

Do we know who the woman was that plugged CP?

She specifically says "it's one of my favorite places to discuss blah, blah blah".

Made it sound like she's a contributor.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #114
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

RougeUnderoos is a sage prince.

Bottom line, somebody is growing potatoes in a vacant lot. This does not deserve the police or anyone else besides the grower and the property owner. It is a non-issue.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #115
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
As I understand it the tires did have "occupy" messages on them. They were turned inward and no longer visible by the time media arrived.
as the cbc news panel discussion put it (paraphrased) "the tires also said michelin or goodyear on them, that doesn't mean they are going to build a tire manufacturing facility"

if mar really does live nearby and he frequents the area, he would very well know that this was not an occupy location. things that should have made this obvious to him; nobody is occupying the site, there are no tents and no signs of protest. all that was there were empty painted tires full of dirt and a painted fence.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #116
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for that kid. His dad is the backyard chicken dude and his mom is the 'potatos for the people' lady. Can you imagine an entire childhood consisting of your parents raging against city hall and using you as a pawn to provide a more sympathetic image to advance their hippie political goals?
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #117
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Apparently there was a former Occupy participant there and someone had written "Occupy Calgary" on one of the tires, so I think it was more than potatoes and a pasty faced kid.
former occupy participants are everywhere. they eat out at restaurants, they go to movies, they go biking, they do normal things that the rest of us do, but it doesn't mean when they are in a grocery store, they are trying to occupy it.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #118
flamesaresmokin
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Noble intentions, but they made a vancant lot, look like a vacant tire dump.
You'd have to be brain-dead to think you can just waltz onto a privately owned property and set up shop however you see fit. The fact that this woman didn't even seek permission or make her intentions known (contacting the DI center regarding her intentions) beforehand goes to show that she is either completely out to lunch or is smarter then everyone thinks and simply wanted to get the property cleaned up with media attention. I'm guessing its not the latter.

This is really nothing new for Calgary though. Having lived in rural Calgary for a number of years, I've seen no end of 'entitled' citizens coming just out of the city limits thinking they can do whatever they want on privately owned land - parking/selling cars, walking dogs and having picnics. I wonder how she would feel if a bunch of people decided they wanted to use her front yard as a garbage dump.

Last edited by flamesaresmokin; 05-23-2012 at 12:45 PM.
flamesaresmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #119
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Mar gets anxiety attacks whenever he passes by a Port-a-potty.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #120
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesaresmokin View Post
The fact that this woman didn't even seek permission or make her intentions known (contacting the DI center regarding her intentions) beforehand goes to show that she is either completely out to lunch or is smarter then everyone thinks and simply wanted to get the property cleaned up with media attention.
as somebody who grows food, it would be really hard to go to a food bank and say "in 3 months, i will be donating 50lbs of potatoes to you" and then not be able to follow thru with it due to unforeseen circumstances like hail damage to the crops, vandalism, fungal infections etc.. there are a lot of ways the crop yield could be greatly diminished or completely decimated. then where does that leave you and the food bank that expected something that you should never have promised?