Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Gmail Addresses

I have a gmail account like first.last@gmail.com. I occasionally receive email addressed to firstlast@gmail.com including doctors appointments from Florida, invitations to a Montana Boy Scout troupe and a subscription to ######Buddy (try explaining that to my wife!).

According to Google it doesn't matter if there is a dot in the name or not - they are treated the same - but my confidence is very low. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

And no, I'm not looking for an explanation for my wife
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a similar situation. I always get emails for someone that lives in Chicago and have learned a lot about them. I suppose the same thing could be happening with me. I think theirs is supposed to have an underscore instead of a dot.

Recently I started getting them for another person in Europe as well.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is correct. Google ignores the 'dot'.

It actually caused a security problem with Dropbox a short while ago, where people would create a new dropbox account with same email address as an existing user, except with a dot in it and be able use it to bypass the 2 factor authentication if they had the username and password to the account.

http://www.slashgear.com/dropbox-hac...tion-05289228/
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's pretty common if your gmail address is an actual name, I get emails like that all the time.

Was getting a bunch from a clothing store in Colorado, finally I emailed them telling them they had the wrong email address on their system so please stop. They didn't bother to read it and instead just gave "me" a $100 or something credit.

I went on their site and the cheapest thing I could find was a $18 orange toque, so my doppelganger almost got 5 orange toques in the mail.

Finally I did convince them to stop sending the emails.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yup I have the same issue. As far as I can tell, I get emails for another Anthony that lives in Australia and one that lives in Florida. I occasionally reply to the person sending and ask them to tell their friend to figure out their actual email address.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, some guy in Britain must have a similar email and either gives it out wrong or it gets recorded wrong. .
I've had business email, cell phone payment notices (from O2) and a pen-pal or someone from Australia who, a few times a year, would send a long summary of what is happening in her life.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the same thing. Apparently I am an alumni of Fresno State, replied once to something that looked like a booking for some serious medical care, let them know they may want to call the guy and confirm the email address.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
I have the same thing. Apparently I am an alumni of Fresno State, replied once to something that looked like a booking for some serious medical care, let them know they may want to call the guy and confirm the email address.
The ones I most often get are from a college in Chicago. That, and from a Chicago car dealership where the person must have bought a vehicle. A few times, I had someone (probably that person) try to log into my email.

Just a couple of days ago I had someone from Croatia use my email address to sign up to a website and sign an online petition.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For whatever reason, people in India really like to use my gmail address.

And for whatever reason, websites in India really don't want to authenticate email addresses.

So some idiot signs up for some pointless service, and I get an inbox full of crap.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I get emails for another Jon. I'll often reply if they seem important. I once had a lady get snippy with me over a bill. She couldn't understand how she had the wrong address.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I thought I was the only one....

A gmail account I have at one time became assaulted by some desperately love sick guy who kept passively aggressively emailing "me" about our relationship. I once even emailed him back to say (1) I was a guy and (2) he has the wrong email address.

After that he kept going, sending pathetic emails about once per week. Finally I got fed up with it and started responding in what I believed was the character of the person he was emailing. I was doing pretty well stringing him along. I told him we could get back together, but I would have to deal with my current relationship first. That got him going. The charade ended pretty quickly after that as he persisted asking about certain of my friends, and the stories I made up seemed to have made him realize I wasn't who he thought I was. They were all seemingly from a small community and my stories didn't match up.

I have all the emails in the gmail archive maybe some day I'll release them, they are pretty funny to read after a few years. He was a complete moron at first but caught on quickly.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that too.. and even after trying to explain to the senders they have the wrong person, they tried adding me to facebook (even though my pic is clear). Funny.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I thought I was the only one....

A gmail account I have at one time became assaulted by some desperately love sick guy who kept passively aggressively emailing "me" about our relationship. I once even emailed him back to say (1) I was a guy and (2) he has the wrong email address.

After that he kept going, sending pathetic emails about once per week. Finally I got fed up with it and started responding in what I believed was the character of the person he was emailing. I was doing pretty well stringing him along. I told him we could get back together, but I would have to deal with my current relationship first. That got him going. The charade ended pretty quickly after that as he persisted asking about certain of my friends, and the stories I made up seemed to have made him realize I wasn't who he thought I was. They were all seemingly from a small community and my stories didn't match up.

I have all the emails in the gmail archive maybe some day I'll release them, they are pretty funny to read after a few years. He was a complete moron at first but caught on quickly.
It's ok man, we support you.

I wouldn't be heading to Sochi this winter though...