Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
They're not more popular because most people aren't like you. Most people need to call long distance: relatives, friends etc. Most people want to use their cell phone when they travel.

If you are glued to a metropolitan area and don't have important people outside of it then it's definitely a great deal.
I suppose that is true. I don't use long distance. Do people actually use cell phones for long distance? Why not use skype or land line?

In any event, I do a lot of hiking in the summer and a lot of skiing in the winter. I just don't use my phone for that period of time. I don't have a problem with it, but I can see many people having problems with that. Cost savings to me far outweigh not having access when outside the city.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
$0

I don't have a cell phone.

me too.

my customers crack me up... how can you NOT have a cell phone and run a business??

easy.... let's say you call me and ask me about an order/design

unfortunately, i'm not in my office (hence on a cell), so i'll have to call you back once i get back to my office (in front of my computer) to discuss your order/design

that is why i have no need for a cell phone!

i also find that there are very few times in my life that it is absolutely critically important that i make a call that very second.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I suppose that is true. I don't use long distance. Do people actually use cell phones for long distance? Why not use skype or land line?

In any event, I do a lot of hiking in the summer and a lot of skiing in the winter. I just don't use my phone for that period of time. I don't have a problem with it, but I can see many people having problems with that. Cost savings to me far outweigh not having access when outside the city.
Landlines are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're not more popular because most people aren't like you. Most people need to call long distance: relatives, friends etc. Most people want to use their cell phone when they travel.

If you are glued to a metropolitan area and don't have important people outside of it then it's definitely a great deal.
For $40 with wind I get unlimited north america talk and text from the wind zone. So long distance is included.

The only thing you give up on wind is data when you travel within Canada. To me this was easy to give up. Phone and text roaming charges for me rarely go over 5 dollars. And if you travel to the US wind is significantly cheaper than the other big 3 at 50 cents an MB. Most people could easily get buy on this kind of system. I think the reason they arent more popular is fear and the lack of phones. There is a big fear of getting hit with a thousand dollar bill that turns people off.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know, but it seems to me the type of people who don't have a land line are capable enough to call long distance via skype and don't really need long distance on a cell phone. Last time I had a land line was when I lived at home in the early 2000's.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
For $40 with wind I get unlimited north america talk and text from the wind zone. So long distance is included.
Long distance is included within the windzone, yes. But unlimited long distance within the wind zone is not the same as unlimited long distance.

Look at that map of the wind zone in BC and think about how many Calgarians have lots of friends/family out there, and you can see why there's a difference between wind zone long distance and long distance for a lot of us.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

My biggest concern with Wind is not having good quality signal reception inside Calgary. If it's similar to the big 3 that way, then I wouldn't have any concerns personally.

Right now I have a Rogers plan for $75 a month that has My 10 Canada Wide Calling (which is our main way to call long distance to family), 250 anytime minutes/Unlimited Evening Weekend Calling, and 1 GB data. To get something similar in their new system would be $85 a month, so I will definitely give them a call when my plan is up in November.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Long distance is included within the windzone, yes. But unlimited long distance within the wind zone is not the same as unlimited long distance.

Look at that map of the wind zone in BC and think about how many Calgarians have lots of friends/family out there, and you can see why there's a difference between wind zone long distance and long distance for a lot of us.
I don't understand what you're saying here.

As long as I'm in the Wind zone I can call anyone in Canada, no matter what network they're on, or if that call GOES TO doesn't matter one tiny bit. Most of my family is on the east coast, I've been calling them non-stop with my Wind phone for almost three years now and I've never had a long distance charge.

As long as you're in the Wind zone it doesn't matter where the call ends up.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I know, but it seems to me the type of people who don't have a land line are capable enough to call long distance via skype and don't really need long distance on a cell phone. Last time I had a land line was when I lived at home in the early 2000's.
I don't want to make a long distance call by using Skype all the time. Sometimes I'm out somewhere and want to call a friend or a family member (long distance) quickly. I don't even worry about long distance anymore, it's a thing of the past. Haven't had a home phone for a while either.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I don't understand what you're saying here.

As long as I'm in the Wind zone I can call anyone in Canada, no matter what network they're on, or if that call GOES TO doesn't matter one tiny bit. Most of my family is on the east coast, I've been calling them non-stop with my Wind phone for almost three years now and I've never had a long distance charge.

As long as you're in the Wind zone it doesn't matter where the call ends up.
Ah, my bad. I thought it was "wind to wind zone". Nevermind then.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #31
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Don't have a cell phone like bcchirs and Degee
Old 09-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
me too.

my customers crack me up... how can you NOT have a cell phone and run a business??

easy.... let's say you call me and ask me about an order/design

unfortunately, i'm not in my office (hence on a cell), so i'll have to call you back once i get back to my office (in front of my computer) to discuss your order/design

that is why i have no need for a cell phone!

i also find that there are very few times in my life that it is absolutely critically important that i make a call that very second.
I guess it goes without saying that you don't have a cellphone to access your cloud drive or remote connect to your desktop.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #33
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I've debunked this a couple different times on CP.

I travel with my (Wind) phone all the time, use it while roaming on the Rogers network, and have never had a monthly bill over $60.

As for long distance.....its all part of my $40/mth package. Friends/Family from coast to coast and I talk to them frequently. 2+ years on, I think anyone living inside a Wind zone is foolish not to subscribe.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #34
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

My phone usage is different than most, at least 80% of my use is for data. I make the odd call and make a few texts mostly because I can. I started with Wind but after a couple of years of use, I grew tired of the slow data speed and lack of signal even in the city center. I could stand at my window, see more than one cell towers, but not get reception. I thought it might be my phone but in the research I did it seemed a fairly common issue with Wind.

Earlier this year I took over someone's Bell plan. $60 gets me all the calling and text features I'd care about and more importantly 6gb of high speed data. No comparison between the little and big guys when it comes to data. As others have said, if all you care about is calling and slow data speeds aren't a problem then Wind is a very good option, especially for rugrats. Here's hoping Verizon shakes things up a bit.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #35
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
My phone usage is different than most, at least 80% of my use is for data.
It's moving more and more this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Here's hoping Verizon shakes things up a bit.
Verizon debunked the rumour that they're entering the Canadian market a while ago.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #36
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
About $120 a month with Telus, but had to get everything because of work. Unlimited local and long distance, unlimited texting and I believe 2 GB data. The best part is, work doesn't for it, yeah me!!!!
Wow, same plan with koodo is almost half of that.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #37
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
I guess it goes without saying that you don't have a cellphone to access your cloud drive or remote connect to your desktop.

what's a cloud drive?

i'm pretty sure my work software wouldn't function on a cellphone - you need to have a dongle plugged into the computer for it to load up. even if i could access the program i need it would be a royal PITA to use on a phone.... and in reality, my work isn't 'life or death'.... the order can wait
Old 09-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #38
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Cloud drive is web based storage.

What I think could work for you is having access to catalogs and custom artwork availabale on a cloud drive. Then when a client asks to see what you can do; you can email it to him within seconds.

So instead of calling you, getting your VM, then calling somebody else who can give them the info, you can just give them the info.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #39
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
Verizon debunked the rumour that they're entering the Canadian market a while ago.
I missed that they ahem, pulled out, but this article sounds like they looked into a variety of options.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle14427259/

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #40
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
So the wind 40 dollar plan is unlimited everything, but doesn't include roaming?

Mrs Calgaryfan has koodo. She likes it, unlimited calling throughout Canada and roaming free. 2 gigs of data for 60/ month. Most telus phones work with Koodo as well, so wouldn't need new phones for the OP.

Koodo is Telus. It's just their 'discount' brand.

My husband's bill runs about $80 a month, give or take a few bucks, here and there. Mine runs $35/month.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote