Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2024, 11:54 AM   #21
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Preds in 6. Canucks are PDO darlings and haven't been in the playoffs since the Covid bubble.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:56 AM   #22
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTONisNG View Post
I think preds in 7 only because I suspect Demko isn't 100%.
Based on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Preds in 6. Canucks are PDO darlings and haven't been in the playoffs since the Covid bubble.
Tell me you haven't watched a Canucks game since November without saying "I haven't watched any Canucks games since November"

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:57 AM   #23
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
And even then they were falling out of their spot when covid saved them
Old 04-18-2024, 11:57 AM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Based on?

Tell me you haven't watched a Canucks game since November without saying "I haven't watched any Canucks games since November"
he has played one game in 2 months?
Old 04-18-2024, 12:03 PM   #25
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Based on?

sorry if I triggered you (assuming you are a canucks fan).

best buy that riot gear before the prices skyrocket in response to demand.
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:05 PM   #26
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
sorry if I triggered you assuming you are a canucks fan.

Hoho! You got me with that triggered comment! Boy howdy, you're a funny one.

Anyways, what are you basing your opinion of Demko's health on?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-18-2024, 12:12 PM   #27
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Hoho! You got me with that triggered comment! Boy howdy, you're a funny one.

Anyways, what are you basing your opinion of Demko's health on?
dino7c responded up above. He was DTD just a week ago. Health isn't binary. Even though you "feel fine" (his quote last week), it is subject to change a lot after a fairly big injury. He might feel fine today but that can quickly change in sport - especially knee injuries for goalies (you rely on your knee's a lot for obvious reasons - and you can't just play through the pain like a forward would with a broken thumb or something). Now add in the mental factor too if being worried of re-injuring it again. There's a lot at play here and he's certainly not the same goalie as he was before the injury - maybe he will be with time, but its still too soon to know.

To add - you can't expect a goalie who hasn't played in a long time to be 100%. Even great players need time to get back to level. He isn't gearing up for a pre-season game either, this is the playoffs where the intensity will be cranked up. Is he in game form? Hard to know.

Last edited by EDMONTONisNG; 04-18-2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:20 PM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big upset here. The Canucks are faltering and I’m not convinced Demko is 100 per cent. The Preds have been playing good hockey, and O’Reilly is ace at this kind of shut-down role against a favourite.

Preds in 6.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:27 PM   #29
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
dino7c responded up above. He was DTD just a week ago.
And I can't see that, so you have to do your own homework

Quote:
Health isn't binary. Even though you "feel fine" (his quote last week), it is subject to change a lot after a fairly big injury.
It was a big injury now? Do you know what it was? I'd love to know as the Canucks have been so quiet on exactly what was wrong with his knee.

Quote:
He might feel fine today but that can quickly change in sport
That's true of literally everyone in every sport. He could get hit by a bus too.

Quote:
- especially knee injuries for goalies (you rely on your knee's a lot for obvious reasons - and you can't just play through the pain like a forward would with a broken thumb or something).
That's probably why he just sat out 14 games. I'm not a medicine scientist, but I think the sitting out until the injury got better may have been connected.

Quote:
Now add in the mental factor too if being worried of re-injuring it again.
Sure. He could also realize it was just a part of the position he plays and be fine with it. Getting into the mental state of people we don't know well, let alone personally is a fool's errand.

Quote:
There's a lot at play here and he's certainly not the same goalie as he was before the injury - maybe he will be with time, but its still too soon to know.
He's not the same goalie based on? He's played one game and stopped 39 of 40 shots.

Quote:
To add - you can't expect a goalie who hasn't played in a long time to be 100%. Even great players need time to get back to level. He isn't gearing up for a pre-season game either, this is the playoffs where the intensity will be cranked up. Is he in game form? Hard to know.
Again, I'm no well-being wizard but he did just play an NHL game where his team essentially gave the opposition free reign on putting shots on goal and stopped 39 of 40.

It sounds less like you "Think" Demko isn't 100% and more accurately you "hope" Demko isn't 100% based on a myriad of reasons you're mostly making up based on what you hope is true.

You could be right! But it's a case of the blind squirrel finding a nut more than you actually having any real information that leads you there.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 04-18-2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:31 PM   #30
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
And I can't see that, so you have to do your own homework

It was a big injury now? Do you know what it was? I'd love to know as the Canucks have been so quiet on exactly what was wrong with his knee.

That's true of literally everyone in every sport. He could get hit by a bus too.

That's probably why he just sat out 14 games. I'm not a medicine scientist, but I think the sitting out until the injury got better may have been connected.

Sure. He could also realize it was just a part of the position he plays and be fine with it. Getting into the mental state of people we don't know well, let alone personally is a fool's errand.

He's not the same goalie based on? He's played one game and stopped 39 of 40 shots.

Again, I'm no well-being wizard but he did just play an NHL game where his team essentially gave the opposition free reign on putting shots on goal and stopped 39 of 40.

It sounds like you don't "Think" Demko is 100% as you're basing it on feels over reals. More accurately you "hope" Demko isn't 100% based on a myriad of reasons you're mostly making up.

You could be right! But it's a case of the blind squirrel finding a nut more than you actually having any real information that leads you there.
man, canuck fans need to relax.

for the record, I said I SUSPECT that he's not 100%. I'm sorry if my suspicions hurt your feelings and put you in a spiral.

Also, who cares what I hope for. Do you think hoping that Demko is injured will result in anything? Lol, I think the kids called it manifesting. I manifest for the 1st OA pick and Celebrini, and also winning the 649 but it won't make a difference on anything.

Last edited by EDMONTONisNG; 04-18-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:37 PM   #31
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
man, canuck fans need to relax.

for the record, I said I SUSPECT that he's not 100%. I'm sorry if my suspicions hurt your feelings and put you in a spiral.

What if I told you, I can respond to people on the internet with my particularly cheeky conversational style whilst being totally calm and without hurt feelings.

If you had wanted to share an opinion without possibility of response, I would suggest a blog with comments turned off.

Anyways, You said "I suspect" I said "Based on what?" and your response should have been "I just feel that way, yo"
as opposed to just slapping your keyboard to get the silly reasons you gave.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-18-2024, 12:58 PM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ways the Canucks lose this series:

1. Demko gets hurt again
2. They lose the special teams battle significantly
3. Saros goes God mode
4. They can't stop the Forsberg line

I think it's probably more likely that Demko and Saros are close to even, special teams is close to even, and either Miller or Lindholm successfully keeps Nashville's first line more or less in check, leaving the remaining overall talent gap to favour Vancouver. 6 games.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:01 PM   #33
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am struggling with my feelings on this one. I feel like I should be against the Canucks, but I find myself cheering for them this year.

For how annoying the Canucks and their fans were in past iterations, I really do not mind this version of them. No more Bieksa or Kesler type players. Fans seems much more humble and in touch with reality. The whole thing feels vaguely likeable.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:03 PM   #34
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like a short series win for Vancouver or a long series win for Nashville.
I like the Preds odds of they can drag it out.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:09 PM   #35
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Preds in 6
Old 04-18-2024, 01:11 PM   #36
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post
I am struggling with my feelings on this one. I feel like I should be against the Canucks, but I find myself cheering for them this year.

For how annoying the Canucks and their fans were in past iterations, I really do not mind this version of them. No more Bieksa or Kesler type players. Fans seems much more humble and in touch with reality. The whole thing feels vaguely likeable.
Fans seem more humble...

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1780810459870105811
Old 04-18-2024, 01:21 PM   #37
Lewis_D
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Canucks in 6. Vancouver's depth and Demko will get the over the line. I'll still be rooting against the Canucks though for the record.

This matchup takes me back to that Nashville vs Vancouver series in 2011. Pekka Rinne and Joel Ward both come to mind. And those slick Preds jerseys they had back then.
Lewis_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:23 PM   #38
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Taj is an idiot.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-18-2024, 01:28 PM   #39
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Demko can play to his abilities after being out a while, I think Vancouver takes this series, but I think it will be a close one. Pretty even match up on paper.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:45 PM   #40
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This series is closer and more interesting than people are giving credit for I think...

If we look at the second half of the season these teams were tied for the 3rd best record in the Western Conference.

Vancouver: 54 Points vs Nashvile: 54 Points
Vancouver: 122 Goals For vs Nashville: 139 Goals For
Vancouver: 113 Goals Against vs Nashville: 118 Goals Against
Vancouver: 51.9% Goals For vs Nashville: 54.1% Goals For
Vancouver: 54.3% Expected Goals For vs Nashville: 53.1% Expected Goals For
Vancouver: 10.4% Shooting Percentage vs Nashville: 10.0% Shooting Percentage
Vancouver: .898 Save Percentage vs Nashville: .906 Save Percentage

That's a pretty close final 41 games...but with the disclaimer the Canucks were missing Demko. And in the end this series probably comes down to Demko vs Saros.

Which if we look at each starting goalie over each teams last 41 games...

Demko: 21 GP, .921 Sv Percentage, 9.84 GSAA
Saros: 31 GP. .913 Sv Percentage, 8.74 GSAA

And look at the total book of work over each goalies last two seasons:

Demko: 82 GP, .911 SV%, 18.4 GSAA
Saros: 128 GP, .913 SV%, 35.2 GSAA

So I don't know...with Demko recovering from injury, and with Saros finding his form after a slow start this feels like the series is much closer than a 2 vs 7 series normally would be. Nashville in 6, Lindholm and Zadorov are scapegoated by Canucks fans for providing little impact.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-18-2024 at 01:54 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: