Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #2461
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Not at all. This is their weakest point by far.

Book a cab service as timeliness is important.
Disagree. I've taken Uber 3 times, at 5am and 6am, since December, for rides to the airport. No issues getting a ride at that time.
Edit: if you like I can post screen caps (edited to remove my address) to provide proof.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #2462
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That's awesome though the driver isn't getting short changed. Assuming the driver takes the route given they are paid properly.

Passengers are getting screwed on distance but even then since they know the price before they get in they are agreeing to the price prior to entering the vehicle.

I don't think this is illegal.

It's essentially bidding on a lump sum contract based on 2000 hrs of work required and using contractors that can accomplish the work in 1800hrs.
A couple things. Uber posts what percentage of the fare they keep as a commission, so if they are lying to the driver about what they are charging the passenger, then they are taking money out of the drivers' pocket that their own claimed policy says they are due.

On the passenger side, I would suggest this trick is theft by deception.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #2463
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think I've ever heard this phrase used before. Book a cab? the guys who 1/2 the time just don't show up for no reason and you never hear from them? unless their 'service' has improved since Uber entered the market, which I would be very surprised by.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #2464
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I'm in San Francisco right now - the volume of Uber and Lyft vehicles is astonishing. They're everywhere.
Can't be so, they are imploding..... or so i'm told by the 2-3 people in this thread that have been fighting their anti-Uber battle here for the last 2 years.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #2465
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

In the 13 years i've lived in this City, I've never had a cab show up at the pre-booked time to take me to the airport once. Early - Check, Late - Check, Not Show - Check

The only way you'd have trouble getting an Uber to the airport at the OP's time is if they live in a suburb in the deep North or South of the City as there seems to be way less cars out there.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #2466
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
So quick question, is Uber going to be reliable for an early morning (around 5 am) pick up to go to the airport?
When we went to Tucson Mar. 1, he was there at 430 am. I booked the night before.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #2467
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Can't be so, they are imploding..... or so i'm told by the 2-3 people in this thread that have been fighting their anti-Uber battle here for the last 2 years.
But they still are since:

a) They're still losing huge sums of money.
b) Their one light in the end of the tunnel, self-driving cars, looks to be in serious legal trouble.
c) Significant publicity problems
d) Uber increasingly forced out of markets outside of North America, the UK and Australia.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #2468
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
But they still are since:

a) They're still losing huge sums of money.
b) Their one light in the end of the tunnel, self-driving cars, looks to be in serious legal trouble.
c) Significant publicity problems
d) Uber increasingly forced out of markets outside of North America, the UK and Australia.
The ride share industry is here to stay. You can call it Uber, or whatever the names of the companies that move into the industry if Uber was to shut down. This is the way of the future. People can piss and moan, and post whatever they want about unfair pay, CEO did this, short-changing drivers that, and on and on and on, but the day of the taxi cab is done. Cabs will be like newspapers in ten years and that makes me smile from ear to ear because it's the scummiest industry in North America.

The market will decide the fate of Uber and ride share companies, not a bunch of unions pissed off because their monopolies are being broken up. Whatever countries don't have it now, or have forbidden it, will shortly have it. The people want it, and they will complain until they get it. All you have to do is look at Calgary. The people threw enough of a fit that his royal arrogance Naheed Nenshi had no choice but to work with the company and let them into the market. There would still be no Uber today in Calgary if the market didn't demand it.

I keep seeing people posting about the drivers being screwed, well there certainly seems to be a lot of them lining up to being screwed. There's more and more on the streets every day, and i've never once had a single one of them say a negative thing about it when I ask them about it, which I usually make a point of doing. Usual response "I can work when I want, I'm mine own boss, I just do this on the side to supplement income and if I wasn't happy I wouldn't be doing it".

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 04-13-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #2469
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Disagree. I've taken Uber 3 times, at 5am and 6am, since December, for rides to the airport. No issues getting a ride at that time.
Edit: if you like I can post screen caps (edited to remove my address) to provide proof.
I haven't used an uber to go to the airport in the early morning. I had a friend who pre-booked and they never showed about 2 months ago. This was very frustrating for him and I also got him onto Uber.

So, if they have corrected this, it's good to hear. Uber's speciality though, does not work on pre-booking rides. It works on connecting you the driver with the closest ride and also motivating drivers based on supply and demand.

In essence, pre-booked fares is not their focus. I will give it a try based on everyone here recommending it.

As far as the cabs go, I use checker and every time I have pre-booked they have shown up in advance, professional and get you to the airport.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #2470
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The ride share industry is here to stay. You can call it Uber, or whatever the names of the companies that move into the industry if Uber was to shut down. This is the way of the future. People can piss and moan, and post whatever they want about unfair pay, CEO did this, short-changing drivers that, and on and on and on, but the day of the taxi cab is done. Cabs will be like newspapers in ten years and that makes me smile from ear to ear because it's the scummiest industry in North America.

The market will decide the fate of Uber and ride share companies, not a bunch of unions pissed off because their monopolies are being broken up. Whatever countries don't have it now, or have forbidden it, will shortly have it. The people want it, and they will complain until they get it. All you have to do is look at Calgary. The people threw enough of a fit that his royal arrogance Naheed Nenshi had no choice but to work with the company and let them into the market. There would still be no Uber today in Calgary if the market didn't demand it.

I keep seeing people posting about the drivers being screwed, well there certainly seems to be a lot of them lining up to being screwed. There's more and more on the streets every day, and i've never once had a single one of them say a negative thing about it when I ask them about it, which I usually make a point of doing. Usual response "I can work when I want, I'm mine own boss, I just do this on the side to supplement income and if I wasn't happy I wouldn't be doing it".
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-much...th-these-days/

Quote:
By THERESA AGOVINO MONEYWATCH April 14, 2017, 5:30 AM
How much is a NYC taxi medallion worth these days?

Just four years ago, the cost to purchase a New York City taxi medallion, an essential license needed to operate a yellow cab, hit $1.3 million. A hefty sum but worth it given the lucrative trade in shuttling New Yorkers around the city’s five boroughs. But not anymore.

The price of a taxi medallion crashed to its lowest level in about a decade when one sold for $241,000 in March. Last year, medallion sales ranged from $325,000 to $750,000. What has happened since 2013? The arrival of ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft, which are now a competitive force on the city’s streets.

The March sale was just the latest sign of their devastating effect on New York City’s yellow cabs. In January 2017, medallions accounted for 48 percent of total trips logged by yellow taxis as well as cars dispatched by ride-hailing companies. That’s down from 68 percent in January 2016.

Last year, lenders foreclosed on 39 medallions, more than triple the amount in 2015, according to Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) head Meera Joshi. The city controls the number of yellow taxi medallions, capping it for the last couple of years at 13,587.

However, Uber has 51,000 vehicles affiliated with its service, while Lyft has 1,500, according to the TLC.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #2471
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't used an uber to go to the airport in the early morning. I had a friend who pre-booked and they never showed about 2 months ago. This was very frustrating for him and I also got him onto Uber.

So, if they have corrected this, it's good to hear. Uber's speciality though, does not work on pre-booking rides. It works on connecting you the driver with the closest ride and also motivating drivers based on supply and demand.

In essence, pre-booked fares is not their focus.
I will give it a try based on everyone here recommending it.

As far as the cabs go, I use checker and every time I have pre-booked they have shown up in advance, professional and get you to the airport.
Again, disagree with the bolded part.

Open the app. In the field that says "Where to?" there's an icon to the right. Looks like a car with a clock. You click that to schedule a ride. Like I did a couple weeks ago.

As I said before, I've used Uber to book early in the morning on 3 occasions since December. Two of those were scheduled rides.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #2472
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else have their Uber driver text them a link to a page to offer them a 'tip' after their trip?

Eff that.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #2473
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, mine always just tell me to be sure to rate them 5 stars.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #2474
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had anyone do either
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #2475
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Never, you should 1 star that driver.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #2476
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Anyone else have their Uber driver text them a link to a page to offer them a 'tip' after their trip?

Eff that.
Never had that happen.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #2477
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I took a cab home from the bar last night. Looks like taxis have dropped their rates again. 31 bucks from Downtown to Rocky Ridge. Used to be like 37.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #2478
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Never, you should 1 star that driver.
So vindictive, jesus. "**** this guy and his livelihood if he's going to have the gall to ask for a tip!!!!". Just don't tip, no big deal.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:52 PM   #2479
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They need to add a tip option to the app. If I'm already paying by credit card, they might as well get add the tip onto that rather than me having to give the driver cash.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #2480
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So vindictive, jesus. "**** this guy and his livelihood if he's going to have the gall to ask for a tip!!!!". Just don't tip, no big deal.
Or rate them 1 star for asking for handouts when they're supposed to be a professional.

Tipping is a voluntary act of kindness to recognise outstanding service, and the drivers that are out there trying to trick people into thinking it's commonplace by presenting, unprompted, the place you should go to make your tip should be taken off the road.

It's not vindictive. Drivers who ask for handouts are unprofessional. 1 star.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote