Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #2341
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopdogg View Post
Yikes, that surge price is ridiculous!!

Took Uber for the first time (in YYC anyways, have used it in the states before) last night and had a minor hiccup. The destination I was going to is a new pub in Auburn Bay and the GPS didn't have the right location on the drivers app. I had to direct him on how to get there. Not a huge issue as I can imagine the GPS coordinates just need to be updated and add on that its a newer area/pub I can see that being an issue.
...and yet if that was a "cabbie" the typical response isn't "just one minor hiccup and it was the GPS's fault not the friendly great driver for the great new company"......

it's "another AWFUL experience with Calgary cabs, you're a ****ing CAB driver it's your JOB to know the city, I shouldn't have to explain anything to you. Of course he probably did this on purpose to get more driving time on the fare".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #2342
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry I shouldn't project that response onto you but it is the attitude of the vast majority of opinions towards cab drivers with the exact situation you described. Maybe you would cut a cabbie the same slack in the same situation but I highly, highly doubt most would.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #2343
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
...and yet if that was a "cabbie" the typical response isn't "just one minor hiccup and it was the GPS's fault not the friendly great driver for the great new company"......

it's "another AWFUL experience with Calgary cabs, you're a ****ing CAB driver it's your JOB to know the city, I shouldn't have to explain anything to you. Of course he probably did this on purpose to get more driving time on the fare".

Really? Now cab drivers are victims of the meanies on the internet that have been screwed over by them enough times to have an opinion?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #2344
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

Really? Now cab drivers are victims of the meanies on the internet that have been screwed over by them enough times to have an opinion?
Just an observation on the difference in tone, wasn't intending to suggest they're victims of the "meanies" on the internet. The attitude from the internet translates directly to the way they're treated on the job.

Sorry, my back is always up a bit more than most as I know some Indian cab drivers in the city and they're treated like absolute scum on a very regular basis. One of the uglier sides of our city (and I'm imagining most North American cities) but people just don't see the insane levels of racism and disdain for "brown" drivers because most don't know those people beyond the service industry.

Even one incident a year would be too much for a driver, but they often experience four to five a week from entitled, racist Calgarians, and unfortunately the terrible taxi industry tends to facilitate our citizens to let out their inner racist thoughts towards "those people".

...and even if it isn't racism, drivers don't deserve to take the brunt of the anger for their industry and routinely do, so it's a little frustrating when the new guys come in and get free passes on everything.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-31-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #2345
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Just an observation on the difference in tone, wasn't intending to suggest they're victims of the "meanies" on the internet. The attitude from the internet translates directly to the way they're treated on the job.

Sorry, my back is always up a bit more than most as I know some Indian cab drivers in the city and they're treated like absolute scum on a very regular basis. One of the uglier sides of our city (and I'm imagining most North American cities) but people just don't see the insane levels of racism and disdain for "brown" drivers because most don't know those people beyond the service industry.

Even one incident a year would be too much for a driver, but they often experience four to five a week from entitled, racist Calgarians, and unfortunately the terrible taxi industry tends to facilitate our citizens to let out their inner racist thoughts towards "those people".
So it's because we're racist, not because their service has completely sucked balls for at least 20 years. Gotcha.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #2346
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
So it's because we're racist, not because their service has completely sucked balls for at least 20 years. Gotcha.
Nope, not because you or anyone that complains is racist, I didn't say that. I said they deal with a lot of racism and that's where the post came from, it was a frustration post, that make it better?
Old 12-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #2347
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, not because you're racist, I didn't say that. I said they deal with a lot of racism and that's where the post came from, it was a frustration post, that make it better?
Not at all. Your first post had nothing to do with racism, and now that is your whole point?
You know full well your first post was a jab at the vocal people on this site that whine about how much cabs suck, and that nobody comes and whines that hard about Uber.

My reply was that Uber hasn't been the one sticking a dick up my ass for 20 years, so they have some leeway. And then you resorted to racism.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #2348
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate cab drivers too and I'm not racist BUT make no mistake about it, they deal with racism all the time.

not why everyone hates cab drivers but they get racist remarks all the time.

I know a bunch of cab drivers and while they aren't bad people, I hate the way they act on the road and that's why I don't like cab drivers. I haven't took a cab in ever but just driving with them on the same roads pisses me off.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:23 PM   #2349
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I hate cab drivers too and I'm not racist BUT make no mistake about it, they deal with racism all the time.

not why everyone hates cab drivers but they get racist remarks all the time.

I know a bunch of cab drivers and while they aren't bad people, I hate the way they act on the road and that's why I don't like cab drivers. I haven't took a cab in ever but just driving with them on the same roads pisses me off.
I'm sure they do. My point is that THAT wasn't his point.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #2350
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just took an Uber downtown from Rocky Ridge. 26 bucks. Pretty impressive.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #2351
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a few friends over last inght. After many attempts they got through to Associated and order 2 cabs. An hour later, they figured they'd check Uber. It was initially a 3x surge, but after 10 minutes it dropped. One guy went for it. We watched this Uber driver CRAWL to our place on the app. It took him 30 minutes to travel what takes me 5-10. But he did eventually get my friends home. The other guy didn't initially have an app, but after 1:45 and no cab, he grabbed it. 20 minutes later he had an Uber and was on his way. I don't think either of the 2 cabs ever appeared, at least not while I was still awake. So well done taxi's...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #2352
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I tried Uber for New Year's Eve. I was going from Saddleridge to Martindale and back, so wasn't sure if I would get any cars out here.

Tried for one around 6:00 to go to my friend's house. Car available, immediately picked up, driver there in about 5 minutes, all good.

During the evening I looked at the app a number of times and it almost always showed "no cars available" out here. My first driver had mentioned that it sounded like all the drivers were going to be downtown. I decided not to take any chances and grabbed a ride home with my friend's brother-in-law.

Once I got home, I continued to check the app off and on for another hour or so (after midnight now but not late). I got a lot of "no cars available" but also cars did pop up from time to time as well. If you kept the app open for a minute, it would switch from no cars to one available and back. So, I think if I had persevered, I probably would have got one, but I didn't want to be stuck on a cold, snowy night.

Even when I saw no cars available out here, there were cars showing around the inner city. I checked the pricing from Inglewood and downtown to Saddleridge, and it was estimated around $100. I suspect/ hope that was NYE surge pricing. I might pay that if I really needed it for a busy night like NYE, but if that was the regular price, I wouldn't use it a lot.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #2353
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took an Uber on New Year's Eve from Oakridge to 17th ave at around 8pm. Was $40.

Tried again on the way home around 1 and it was over $70, managed to find a cab instead but it was nice to have the option at least.

For most nights that aren't NYE, this will be far more reasonable and I'll be using it from now on.
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #2354
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

...and even if it isn't racism, drivers don't deserve to take the brunt of the anger for their industry and routinely do, so it's a little frustrating when the new guys come in and get free passes on everything.

weird, I must have missed that option in the Uber settings. Can you help me navigate to where you can set the driver option to 'whites only'?

same drivers with both services dude, it's the taxi companies that have f'd people over for years with ####ty service. just nice to finally have a choice.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #2355
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
weird, I must have missed that option in the Uber settings.
Just select "Mensch".
Old 01-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #2356
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Show me on the cabbies app where they are getting rated or your getting rated. If they want business, then they do it right and are properly rated.

Cabbies can do whatever the fk they want and just keep working - to them it's their way or the highway. Of course, it's not all cabbies but it's the 85% of them that has ruined it for the others.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #2357
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently submitted a complaint about a cabbie driving dangerously and received a response he had been given a warning. It took far more effort than the uber star rating though.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #2358
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Show me on the cabbies app where they are getting rated or your getting rated. If they want business, then they do it right and are properly rated.

Cabbies can do whatever the fk they want and just keep working - to them it's their way or the highway. Of course, it's not all cabbies but it's the 85% of them that has ruined it for the others.

First off, I am 100% an uber supporter, but some of you have gone way too far with your criticisms.

Download the checker cab app. You will be surprised to find that 98% of your complaints are completely mitigated. It has real time tracking of your cab. You can leave a star rating after the trip. It even estimates your fare. The kicker is that it has been operational for like a year now. Whoever sits on hold trying to call a cab is a Luddite at this point.

Used the app New Year's Eve and waited less than ten minutes both on the way to a house party and on the way home (10pm and 2am). Cost less than a third of what uber was quoting with surge pricing.

Uber is a fantastic option most times. However, it's just that, an option. I'm excited that we have more options for safe travel at night, but some of you are really showing how rarely you use taxis with your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutedmonton For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #2359
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are any of the cabbies driving for uber in their cabs in between?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #2360
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Are any of the cabbies driving for uber in their cabs in between?
cabs are typically run 24/7
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote