Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #81
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Besides, people are victims of their own fear or ignorance. The nation gives them RRSPs, and they use them for house down payments. They get TFSAs, and they turn them into growthless savings accounts. They’re offered half-tax on investments, but they buy GICs. They get a huge gift on dividends, and they want a rental condo. The country drops rates, and they cannot borrow enough.
It’s not about fairness any longer. It’s about taxing stupid.

Perhaps his point is that this country is not doing enough to inform stupid poor people like myself about how I constantly manage to shoot myself in the nuts.

Raising the TFSA limit is going to be of the greatest benefit to wealthy people who have the best means to afford higher taxes. The eventual loss in tax revenue will than be passed onto the less intelligent who don't use it in the form of more taxes, or higher taxes on their meager earnings, while politicians and other wealthy people who have the means to pay more continue to enjoy the greater benefit.

In it's current form the TFSA provides a reasonable means for a working person earning 50k or less a year a way to grow a decent retirement fund. His example of a 30 year old putting away 5500 a year for 30 years essentially building up to be 30k a year in tax free earnings seems to suggest that. They sell it as that. In reality it's just become a way for those who are sharpest with their money to skirt paying taxes.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #82
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Besides, people are victims of their own fear or ignorance. The nation gives them RRSPs, and they use them for house down payments. They get TFSAs, and they turn them into growthless savings accounts. They’re offered half-tax on investments, but they buy GICs. They get a huge gift on dividends, and they want a rental condo. The country drops rates, and they cannot borrow enough.
It’s not about fairness any longer. It’s about taxing stupid.

Perhaps his point is that this country is not doing enough to inform stupid poor people like myself about how I constantly manage to shoot myself in the nuts.

Raising the TFSA limit is going to be of the greatest benefit to wealthy people who have the best means to afford higher taxes. The eventual loss in tax revenue will than be passed onto the less intelligent who don't use it in the form of more taxes, or higher taxes on their meager earnings, while politicians and other wealthy people who have the means to pay more continue to enjoy the greater benefit.

In it's current form the TFSA provides a reasonable means for a working person earning 50k or less a year a way to grow a decent retirement fund. His example of a 30 year old putting away 5500 a year for 30 years essentially building up to be 30k a year in tax free earnings seems to suggest that. They sell it as that. In reality it's just become a way for those who are sharpest with their money to skirt paying taxes.
The thing is there is help for people to get advice on how to structure these things and use these accounts to their advantage. I totally understand that not everyone understands how to use a TFSA or RRSPs or the best way to hold their savings or things like that. But those people should either do the research and learn it themselves or go see someone. There are plenty of resources for people who want to figure these things out.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #83
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Or get a better accountant.
I don't use an accountant. Am I in the minority of people that don't have one? Odd comment.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #84
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't use an accountant. Am I in the minority of people that don't have one? Odd comment.
Mostly a tongue in cheek comment (mostly).

A good accountant can save you thousands.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #85
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Give a little bit of money to charity you tightwad.
usually, payroll department account for the RRSP deductions if they are automatic and take less tax off your paychecks too.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:13 PM   #86
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Mostly a tongue in cheek comment (mostly).

A good accountant can save you thousands.
Is it really that necessary for basic personal taxes? I have absolutely no complications. One T4 slip and my RRSP contributions. Shouldn't require an accountant to save me thousands . . .
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #87
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Is it really that necessary for basic personal taxes? I have absolutely no complications. One T4 slip and my RRSP contributions. Shouldn't require an accountant to save me thousands . . .
Ours (wife and I) have always been relatively straight forward as well.

We regularly contribute to our RRSP's, daughters RESP, etc, and I can't recall the last year that we haven't received a refund in June.

Using the accountants gives me peace of mind that all of the boxes have been checked, stones looked under, and possible exemptions utilized.

For example, at the start of my career when I was consulting, the accountants were able to get my taxes payable down to ~$200-300, keeping in mind I was paid on a gross basis (no deductions for taxes, CPP/EI, etc.).

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 02-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #88
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

An accountant who just lowers your tax bill doesn't necessarily make them a good accountant...

I'm guessing if you were paid personally on a gross basis and only paid $300 in tax at the end of the year (no withholding payments throughout the year), there was some funny business going on.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
An accountant who just lowers your tax bill doesn't necessarily make them a good accountant...

I'm guessing if you were paid personally on a gross basis and only paid $300 in tax at the end of the year (no withholding payments throughout the year), there was some funny business going on.
Oh yeah, let the accountant bashing begin! I dont go to your work and throw stones at you!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #90
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh yeah, let the accountant bashing begin! I dont go to your work and throw stones at you!
That's because as an accountant, you throw like Carly Rae Jepsen. True story.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #91
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am a tax accountant!

I guess my point was most people don't understand their personal taxes well enough to determine if their accountant is actually technically good at what they do or not. If the accountant is personable and confident, people tend to like and believe them, regardless if the information is technically strong or correct.

Sort of like a dentist. I have no idea if what he is doing is good or not, but I like his office because he's a nice guy and they seem to have up-to-date equipment.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #92
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i agree with Iliketopuck above, i use an accountant and its mostly RRSPs and RESPs and I like to drop a little money on charities that are important to me. I have thought about TFSA but it does not really fit into my plans right now. Here is an interesting article in MM on RRSPs and specifically pension income splitting, it can significantly reduce tax billable in retirement.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/taxes...25n?ocid=HPDHP

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-25-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: nm
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #93
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I am a tax accountant!
I use an accounting firm used by my parents company for thirty years. They did excellent work for them, and they have continued to do the same for me personally.

While I am not a professional accountant, I do have a good understanding of accounting and have dealt professionally with good (and bad) firms many times.

I would not continue to use the firm if I thought they were anything less than excellent.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #94
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wanted to run my own thoughts on why I prefer an RRSP over a TFSA by folks here. My thoughts are that because RRSP is a before tax deduction, I am able to save substantially more each paycheque then I would if I were saving it after tax via a TFSA.

To use my own example, I put around $300 towards my RRSP each pay period. Were I to put 0% towards my RRSP, and rather invest into a TFSA after tax, I'd be putting around $200 each pay period to see the same net amount in my bank account.

Say I start today and save for 30 years at a compound interest rate of 5%, in my scenario I earn ~$100k more in interest by the end of the lifecycle.

Of course, the other reason is that my company is matching the first 4% of my paycheque that I put towards RRSP. So it's essentially getting 4% a year extra in a savings account that I don't ever see. But that's outside of the argument I'm making....

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #95
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

As was shown a couple pages back, the tax you pay at the end evens out the difference.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #96
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Wanted to run my own thoughts on why I prefer an RRSP over a TFSA by folks here. My thoughts are that because RRSP is a before tax deduction, I am able to save substantially more each paycheque then I would if I were saving it after tax via a TFSA.

To use my own example, I put around $300 towards my RRSP each pay period. Were I to put 0% towards my RRSP, and rather invest into a TFSA after tax, I'd be putting around $200 each pay period to see the same net amount in my bank account.

Say I start today and save for 30 years at a compound interest rate of 5%, in my scenario I earn ~$100k more in interest by the end of the lifecycle.

Of course, the other reason is that my company is matching the first 4% of my paycheque that I put towards RRSP. So it's essentially getting 4% a year extra in a savings account that I don't ever see. But that's outside of the argument I'm making....
Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
As was shown a couple pages back, the tax you pay at the end evens out the difference.
The taxes do even out, but frankly if you get a full match from your company you'd be crazy not to do that. Basically you put in $X and get 100% return automatically. Yeah, the taxes are going to make you wish that you had some non-registered savings one day, but I would take advantage of the matching for sure.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #97
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

What happens if you put too much money into a TFSA? Just asking. Trust me, I don't have this 'problem'.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #98
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What happens if you put too much money into a TFSA? Just asking. Trust me, I don't have this 'problem'.
Well now its a 1% per month penalty on the excess. Interesting story though, when the TFSA first came out in 2009, the markets were very low (at the bottom in hindsight) and the penalty was 1% per year IIRC. Some people were sinking in big money, say $100k and reaping the rewards, paying the $1000 penalty or whatever. Unsurprisingly, CRA wasn't quite as fond of this as the investors and changed the penalty to make it more punitive.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #99
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am at a loss that the taxes equal out between a TFSA and RRSP.

a) The whole idea of an RRSP is to contribute the maximum amount without taxation to grow at the maximum rate to be taxed at a later period in time when your tax burden is significantly less than today.
- the compounding of not taxed savings for investing is huge. The government is
basically contributing 1/3 to the investment value as a minimum.
- The contribution lowers your tax bracket for today in many cases.
- in the example of an extra $100 a month or $1200 a year contribution, depending on investment/should turn into an extra $200 a month for every 7-10 years doubling that amount every 7-10 years minimum. You would not have this in a TFSA.

The TFSA is to reward savers by allowing a very small portion of money in comparison to RRSP limits, post tax to grow tax free until it is withdrawn. The amount of increase is taxable at what we hope to be a lower rate. However, your post tax growth potential is severed because the taxes have been submitted. TFSA is great for high net worth earners that continue to save and look for tax shelter.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 02-26-2015 at 01:10 AM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #100
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At some point, I may be motivated enough to transpose the formulas into the forum (from my CFA texts) but the simple matter is:
a) both TFSA's and RRSP's are superior to investing non-sheltered;
b) if you think your future (aka withdrawal) tax-rate will be lower than your current marginal tax-rate then an RRSP is the better choice;
c) if you think your future tax-rate will be higher than your current marginal rate, then a TFSA is the better choice; and,
d) you should talk to an experienced planning professional who can help recognize if you are in a scenario that the simple rules above may not apply (or be optimal).

One common mistake I see in the calculations done previously in this thread is failing to take into account the 'before-tax' nature of RRSP contributions. $1,000 invested into RRSP's is not the same as $1,000 invested into a TFSA (1,000 invested into an RRSP is more equivalent to $750 invested into a TFSA - assuming a 25% marginal rate).

In other words... if you can 'only invest $1,000' then the TFSA is always going to be the better choice (as that is after tax money). The 'rational man's' way of viewing the decision would be to realize that the real option is that you could invest $1,000 into a TFSA or the (before tax) equivalent of $1,333 into an RRSP, what's the better choice?'

That is one reason that an RRSP payroll deduction is often a wise choice as it lets you invest those 'before-tax' dollars directly, rather than using 'after-tax' dollars and then spending (rather than investing) the tax refund that follows later.

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 02-26-2015 at 07:42 AM.
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post: