Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #81
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with Treliving's commentaries on Parsons playing in the ECHL, one would have to figure that Gillies is going to have to be the backup next year. Rittich and McDonald split time in the AHL.

Getting Mason for the starting role would work with Gillies playing 20-30 games as the backup.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #82
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
And this applies for all transactions. Players who have an active NMC or NTC and waive it for a specific transaction will still retain the clause in their contract going forward. The only time it can be voided is when a player gets traded prior to his clause taking effect.
Not sure if this is 100% true, I have heard conflicting reports about this.

for example CapFriendly's FAQ:
https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#m-nmc
Quote:
What is a No-Move Clause (NMC)?
The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
  • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
  • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified
If the player is traded before the clause takes effect, the acquiring team can opt to void the clause

What is a No-Trade Clause (NTC)?
The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
  • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
  • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified
If the player is traded before the clause takes effect, the acquiring team can opt to void the clause

What is a Limited, or Modified No-Trade Clause (M-NTC)?

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-12-2017 at 09:33 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #83
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Interesting decision by Fleury. I thought he would make more money being bought out and then signing a long term deal where ever he wanted.

Maybe he's gambling that Vegas doesn't pick him and he can try for one more cup with the Pens?
Vegas doesn't have a limit on how many goalies they can pick up... unless there's a forward or Dman that has more upside for LV on the pens unprotected list, I don't know why they wouldn't pick him even if its just with the intent to trade him later...

more likely is that MAF is just the kind of guy that didn't want to hold the organization for ransom, and elected to waive his NMC...

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-12-2017 at 09:52 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #84
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Vegas doesn't have a limit on how many goalies they can pick up... unless there's a forward or Dman that has more upside for LV on the pens unprotected list, I don't know why they wouldn't pick him even if its just with the intent to trade him later...

more likely is that MAF is just the kind of guy that didn't want to hold the organization for ransom, and elected to waive his NMC...
Technically there is a limit as Vegas must take a minimum of 14 forwards and 9 defencemen. This means they could take a maximum 7 goalies.

I agree it is likely MAF is just being respectful to an organisation that has treated him well and Vegas will likely take him as he has value both as a starter or in a trade. MAF still has a NMC however and only one year left on this contract so maybe Vegas thinks they will be better off long term taking someone else on the Penguins?

Last edited by FireGilbert; 06-12-2017 at 10:53 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #85
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

^ FWIW Friedman said this morning he believes the Pens and Knights have made a deal where Fleury will be the Knights' pick from the Pens in the expansion draft.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #86
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
^ FWIW Friedman said this morning he believes the Pens and Knights have made a deal where Fleury will be the Knights' pick from the Pens in the expansion draft.
Thanks! If that is the case the Pens must be worried about losing a forward or defenceman.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #87
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Oooo, a Mason/Nilsson pairing. I'm down.
Not sure about that one. He has Oiler perpetual rebuild stink on him.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #88
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

So Vegas can pick up a goalie from every team? Or even 10 teams?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #89
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
So Vegas can pick up a goalie from every team? Or even 10 teams?
Limit of 7 goalies based on the minimum forward and defence requirements.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, the Pens are just cleaning up. Do they get credit for the Knights' first Cup too?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #91
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wow, the Pens are just cleaning up. Do they get credit for the Knights' first Cup too?
Pens may be giving up assets for LV to take Fleury.....
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #92
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I am glad that Fleury is not wanting to come to Calgary. I firmly believe that if the Penguins had a competent starter this past decade that they would have 6 or 7 cups since 2008. So many years the Penguins got tossed in round one or two because of him.

Worst goalie with three cups that I can remember.
The Pens were saddled with some awful coaching the entire team had no composure at all it was not just Fleury. I'm not saying Fleury is the best goalie around but he is not nearly as bad as you make him out to be. Look at what he was able to do under Sullivan. It's actually quite funny you think the Pens would have so many Cups just by changing their goaltender. Even Crosby struggled mightily for awhile, think about that.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 AM   #93
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was basically league average, more or less, in performance, while being above league average in starts. Which is an underrated aspect of goalie quality - your overall team save percentage is going to be higer if you can play your backup less. But both of those things are likely to trail off towards the end of his career now; there's a pretty good bet that he won't be much better than replacement level going forward.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:55 AM   #94
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does any deal that involves assets changing hands have to eventually be reported?
I expect so.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #95
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything I presume will not be announced until the 21st.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #96
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Forget Fleury, I'm holding out for Murray.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #97
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Not sure about that one. He has Oiler perpetual rebuild stink on him.
Meh, Schultz and Dubnyk turned out just fine.and I've always liked Nilsson
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #98
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I would imagine that Treliving and company are busy this week trying to work out something with Pittsburgh prior to the expansion draft?
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #99
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Meh, Schultz and Dubnyk turned out just fine.and I've always liked Nilsson
Yeap. He seems to be steadily improving and even though he's 27 he hasn't had a ton of games in NA yet. Plus he's massive and athletic, so not just a puck blocker due to his size.

Could be a late bloomer.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #100
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I would imagine that Treliving and company are busy this week trying to work out something with Pittsburgh prior to the expansion draft?
I hope not.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote