Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #141
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering about Joe's issue as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #142
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Who is Joe? Aren't you guys talking about Freddie?
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iLoveLamp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #143
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. Freddie lol.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #144
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oops, I think I was the first one to call him Joe. My bad. Lol
Old 03-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #145
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think Freddie started hating Frank in season 2.

If I am not mistaken he lost his restaurant franchise deal when his relationship with Frank came to light. Frank also asked him to downplay their friendship when Freddie's son was caught threatening a photographer with a gun while on parole.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2016, 01:55 AM   #146
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spoiler!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #147
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Solid season. Liked the last line. So true as to what the US does.

They just couldn't have done Claire vs Frank for the whole season. Once it came out to the public, it would've been the end for both of them.

I didn't like how easily Durant bowed out. They played her and once she figured it out she was on her way to some sweet payback. Too bad they didn't play that out to it's potential. She could've gone to Conway with that threat and made them stronger.
She went to Conway, which was what the delegate change was all about. Conway promised to keep her on as Secretary of State if he won and it would've been difficult for Underwood to remove her from that position if he won. Hedging her bets cost her though.

Quote:
Doug is my favorite character, he'll be doing some more immoral nasty things next year. Ruthless with bit of a soft side.
Doug is terrifying. Ruthless with unchecked obsession/addiction issues. Serial Killer tendencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
GREAT season

I agree that the Neve Campbell appearance was at first jarring; she does bear some resemblance to Mara.

Really liked Claire's rise to power, be it perhaps a little unbelievable/quick. But hey, it's TV. What I didn't like was her cheesy relationship with Tom.
I liked her relationship with Tom. What these season really illustrated for the viewer was that Claire and Frank are two sides of the same coin. Even when they are actively sabotaging each other they are paying homage to the public figure narrative they both share. While attempting to deal critical blows to the other they both back off from dealing fatal blows. That's probably my favourite part of the show is how their relationship is two individuals in pursuit of the exact same things. We should all be so lucky to be in lock-step with our partners. Claire's relationship with Tom mirrored Frank's relationship with him in Season 3. Just like the threesome with Meechum, it's another deliberate illustration of how Claire and Frank have the same desires and goals. The final scene with them side by side, two sides of the same coin.

Quote:
Rolled my eyes when the terrorist leader started going off script and they had no idea what he was saying. There's no way that would have gone down without an Arabic translator present.
Yeah, this took me out of the whole sequence. Brutal.

Quote:
I know they've done terrible things, but I'm going to be sad when the Underwoods are eventually dethroned. There's no way all that bad juju escapes them.
I think they will walk away undefeated. That would be the most Underwood thing they could do with the series; illustrate the weakness of history being written by the victors.

The whole show is a tale of 3 realities, the image presented to the public, the image presented to your political peers, and the image presented to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I think Freddie started hating Frank in season 2.

If I am not mistaken he lost his restaurant franchise deal when his relationship with Frank came to light. Frank also asked him to downplay their friendship when Freddie's son was caught threatening a photographer with a gun while on parole.
With the help or Remy Danton, Raymond Tusk exposed Freddy's gangbangin' past and the smear articles that appeared about Freddy cost him his franchise restaurant and sauce business.

Frank was forced to distance himself from Freddy which Freddy felt slighted by. Frank's offer of charity was salt in the wound to the betrayal of distancing himself.

Freddy has to take Frank's offer of employment at the White House because it includes benefits for him and his grandson. Presumably his son was sent back to prison for violating his parole and Freddy is now looking after his grandson.

However, he resents working there because he's forced to pretend to be friends with Frank who previously slighted him, and seeing him daily at the white house is a reminder of the charity in the form of a job that Freddy was forced to take.

As soon as he has an opportunity he wants to move on from the White House and gets the opportunity to tell Frank what he thinks of him after Frank once again oversteps his boundaries.

Quote:
Joe beating the crap out of Hammerschmidt (sp?) was a highlight.
Inspite of humbling himself for the sake of his grandson and taking the job at the white house, Freddy has pride. Freddy may have changed but he's still the same guy that was the thug back in his youth, and his street code of loyalty which was the source of his feelings of betrayal by Frank is also the source of his violence towards Tom. Even though he hates Frank, Freddy has too much self respect to snitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Spoiler!
They were using and Executive Order to the NSA to spy on people's browsing habits to track their interests which they then used to pinpoint campaign literature, speech content etc at to sway them.

The guy that Claire's campaign manager bring in to do that runs a company that is awarded the NSA contract to do data analysis to determine these trends.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 03-13-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #148
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

As the show says quite clearly, the Underwoods are about Becoming, and the Conways are about Being. There is a dark, powerful willpower in the Underwoods that has sustained the credibility of their story through the four season arc of the show.

Frank and Claire are more than just liars, swindlers or cheats. Even the most virtuous characters in the show - Hammerschmidt and Freddie - still only see the Underwoods as these very American populist tyrants, but the reality is that the passions they draw on are far more ruthless. The scene where Underwood dominates Durant was probably the best single scene of the fourth season. The look in her eyes when she realizes that the consequences for her betrayal of Frank would essentially be mortal was probably the most lucid moment of recognition in the entire series.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #149
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great post, peter.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #150
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. For the record, whoever said that the best conclusion would be one where the Underwoods get away with the whole thing was absolutely correct. Anything else would be too unbelievable.

Besides, we all WANT them to get away with it. Characters like the Underwoods are too entrancing to see fall through some clumsy exposure. Of course, the writers could end the Underwoods, but only by ending America. At some point, the story lines have to come together - just like Alcibiades and Athens.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #151
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good season, still not as great as seasons 1 and 2 were but still very good.

Maybe it was just me noticing this for the first time but:
Spoiler!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #152
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Good season, still not as great as seasons 1 and 2 were but still very good.

Maybe it was just me noticing this for the first time but:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #153
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished. Huge improvement on S3. Really enjoyed it when Claire and Frank got back to kicking ass.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #154
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Season 5 release date set for May 30th.

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #155
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that was released today.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #156
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF am I going to do until May 30th?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #157
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
WTF am I going to do until May 30th?
Rewatch the previous seasons? If you watch one episode every 2.5 days you'll be ready in time for season 5!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #158
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Rewatch the previous seasons? If you watch one episode every 2.5 days you'll be ready in time for season 5!
I recently rewatched all four seasons and I think it took 2.5 days...
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #159
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome news, can't wait til season 5 and the inevitable Underwood downfall. It's kind of like a modern day version of that Scottish play.

I finally decided to give this show a shot about 6 months ago and just love it. I ended up watching every episode in about 2 weeks. Unfortunately I have to watch by myself as my wife is not a fan. She's not into politics and has trouble getting invested in shows where none of the main characters are likable.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #160
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

May is a killer I was expecting it back next month like usual
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote