Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #101
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are missing a top 6 RW and a #4 d-man

goal tending has also been average overall

They are what they are
Old 01-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #102
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Problem is more than the players not doing what the coach wants.
It's just all too familiar. There's this awesome system the players just can't execute consistently, but when they do, look out!
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #103
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone in the GT said he felt bad for season ticket holders.

I have been buying season tickets for more than 25 years. Started when I was a kid when I could barely afford them.

I'm pretty much done. If the team doesn't care why should I?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #104
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yup Brodie has no confidence at all.
Brodie has a weak shot. That's why he looks for the pass.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:19 AM   #105
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I blame Bennett for the loss. The guy was invisible out there.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #106
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They are missing a top 6 RW and a #4 d-man

goal tending has also been average overall

They are what they are
I agree with this, although adding 2 players does nothing until some of the stars start playing better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #107
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I have to say that Monahan launching a player's stick out of their hand with an aggressive sticklift is great.

He's done it like 5 times this year, and they never call it I think because it's a lift up that causes it, as opposed to slashing the stick down. Took Fisher's stick away, then stood right in front of Fisher to pot the goal.
Thanks - wondered who did that! Saw the stick go flying and thought WTF? Was kinda waiting for a penalty call....but the goal instead was better.

The sad thing about this team is that they CAN play incredibly well - it just doesn't seem to happen for them until they score. I wonder if they get discouraged easily. Which then, of course, becomes the strategy for opponents.

Eventually they play decently in almost every game - but too often it's been way too late, and way too little of it.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #108
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course it would be the game I actually go to where they come out flatter than piss on a plate. What an awful effort.

The last 4 minutes was fun, but come on, show some urgency a little earlier.

Nice top see my old pal greyshep there, tho, it's been awhile.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #109
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Every winning team has a system. You expect them to play with no system? Does that make any sense at all? Why bother with coaches? Just put the players on the ice and "see what happens" right?

The system works just fine, the players aren't executing.

Gaudreau - not sure what's wrong with him but if he wants to earn his $6 million a year, he better figure it out fast.

Dougie Hamilton - this guy has all the physical tools to be a dominant player, but i'm really starting to question his hockey IQ. He makes some really stupid reads in the offensive and defensive zones.

Giordano - has struggled all season. It has nothing to do with the points. He's been making really stupid boneheaded plays all year long. Maybe the age thing affects the brain more than the body.

The Flames best players aren't their best players right now. It's as simple as that. You can hate on the Chiasson's, the Wideman's, the Jokipakka's, the Bennett's, the Brouwer's all you want. If the core guys aren't playing well, no team will have success.
I'm still not very sure of this. Our only real success this season came on the back of elite level goaltending from Chad Johnson. Outside of that run, we've either been a win 1, lose 1 type of team or an outright awful team.

The 50/50 hockey Gulutzan seems to want the team to play is incredibly safe 5v5 play, followed by winning the special teams battle. That safe 5v5 play translates to dump ins and lots of low % shots, which is not the way to be successful.

Not blaming Gulutzan outright - but it is frustrating to see that all of our "established" higher end players (Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Giordano) are all struggling to find previously established levels of success within this system. Could be a learning process...but we're getting fairly deep into the system, and that's looking less and less likely.

As a side note, as a season ticket holder the quality of hockey on home ice this year has been more often than not, atrocious. We're in a playoff spot right now, but nights like last night happen far too often and are hard to sit through. The product right now is not very good. That's partially on the league (reffing has been so bad, that it's clear they've been mandated to be awful), but a lot of that rests on our predictable breakout that hampers any plays with speed from developing, and constant chip and chase rubbish hockey.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-20-2017 at 08:12 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #110
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So frustrating to pay good money only to watch a team go through the motions. Their give-a-crap meter was near zero for 50 minutes. And that makes four poor efforts against mediocre opposition in the last two weeks. That is simply unacceptable for a team that aspires to make the playoffs.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #111
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This really has been the least inspiring Flames club we have seen in some time. I suppose its a reflection on how bad the conference has been that they have been holding a playoff spot all this time they have been on this run of alternating between showing up one night and no-shows the next night. The stinkers last year were due to poor goaltending and leaky defense, this season the stinkers have been total team no-shows. I'm not sure if this is progress or just a different way of being bad. Certainly doesn't look like a team that's having fun on the ice. I suppose it's one of those "be careful what you wish for" scenarios for the players that wanted Hartley out as these players look like they would rather be any place but on the ice together.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-20-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #112
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'm still not very sure of this. Our only real success this season came on the backs of elite level goaltending from Chad Johnson. Outside of that run, we've either been a win 1, lose 1 type of team or an outright awful team.

The 50/50 hockey Gulutzan seems to want the team to play is incredibly safe 5v5 play, followed by winning the special teams battle. That safe 5v5 play translates to dump ins and lots of low % shots, which is not the way to be successful.

Not blaming Gulutzan outright - but it is frustrating to see that all of our "established" higher end players (Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Giordano) are all struggling to find previously established levels of success within this system. Could be a learning process...but we're getting fairly deep into the system, and that's looking less and less likely.

As a side note, as a season ticket holder the quality of hockey on home ice this year has been more often than not, atrocious. We're in a playoff spot right now, but nights like last night happen far too often and are hard to sit through. The product right now is not very good. That's partially on the league (reffing has been so bad, that it's clear they've been mandated to be awful), but a lot of that rests on our predictable breakout that hampers any plays with speed from developing, and constant chip and chase rubbish hockey.
Watch the incredibly stifling hockey the League leading Capitals play much? Their goal differential is +48. They've scored the 3rd most goals, allowed the least. They still have a couple guys who manage to play a bit, despite the attention to stifling defense, though I recall Ovechkin and others being benched several times until they bought in to 'playing the right way'.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #113
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Of course it would be the game I actually go to where they come out flatter than piss on a plate. What an awful effort.

The last 4 minutes was fun, but come on, show some urgency a little earlier.

Nice top see my old pal greyshep there, tho, it's been awhile.
I turned the game off with 6 minutes to go because I couldn't watch the garbage Flames anymore. I missed all the late goals.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #114
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I turned the game off with 6 minutes to go because I couldn't watch the garbage Flames anymore. I missed all the late goals.
My wife asked me if I wanted to leave with 7 minutes left. I almost did.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #115
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames were out-goaltended. Again. It's getting really frustrating.

Did they play great? No. But they played pretty well for the first 25 or 30 minutes. Unfortunately, Saros stoned them and Johnson couldn't make saves when they needed them.

When that happens regularly, it deflates a team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #116
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I don't want to be that guy who says Elliott would have won this game because really, we don't know. But even with the one Hiller goal he typically allows per game, he's been solid and hasn't had issues tracking pucks from the blue line. He should have started last night and if it went as well as Johnson's outing at least the team would have options to think over going into the weekend. It was a no lose situation which they some how lost.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #117
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I did not feel that the Flames goaltender was the reason for the loss.

Flames were clearly out played for most of the game.

Predator's had a large lead, and stopped playing with 5 minutes left.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #118
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Man there were some poor decisions on those odd-man rush goals , just stay in your lane prevent the pass let the goalie make the save !
Not try to pressure the puck carrier, let the puck by , and breakaway.

For short spurts Brodie & Wideman look OK together , but they are just a trainwreck overall.
OK lets put Johnny ,Money and Steeger back together haven't tried that combo since what game 1. Have to find a way to get our "1st" line going again.

3m line was great as usual was hoping Glue would shorten the bench in the 3rd to get them out more .Thought Bouma & Ferland were the only other forwards I noticed at all.
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #119
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Personally, I did not feel that the Flames goaltender was the reason for the loss.

Flames were clearly out played for most of the game.

Predator's had a large lead, and stopped playing with 5 minutes left.
Johnson was definitely a reason why we lost. He was not, however, the only one, nor the most significant. But sometimes you need your goalie to hold you in a game, and he didn't do it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #120
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Johnson was definitely a reason why we lost. He was not, however, the only one, nor the most significant. But sometimes you need your goalie to hold you in a game, and he didn't do it.
Sure goaltenders can definitely steal games, however the Flames played a poor game.

Focus should be on players in my view.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote