Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default AWD to FWD

I've had my 07 Forester for about 4 years now. I'm up around the 185,000km range and thinking it might be time to start looking for something else.

I commute 35km each way to work and a few times a year do a 4.5 hr road trip to see my family. There roads where I live are hilly and twisty so can sometimes be tricky in the winter.

I am leaning towards another Subaru (slightly used Impreza, XV Crosstrek or a slightly more used Forester) but every once in a while start questioning if I REALLY need AWD. It's the only vehicle I've ever had with it and haven't died yet. I think I'm spoiled by it now, not once have I ever felt unsafe driving in the winter and have never even come close to getting stuck even in deep snow. The Forester is a tank.

Some lower priced FWD cars are quite tempting though.

Has anyone ever gone from AWD back to FWD in the snow and not regretted it?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I have some experience with this owning a WRX and the wife's FWD Fiat.

Do not switch from AWD if you have the choice. It is night and day and not only more fun to drive in the winter but far safer.

We have high end winter tires on both vehicles but even with all-seasons the subaru is light years better.

I just don't see why you would switch? If it's a money thing, just get an older subaru.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I have some experience with this owning a WRX and the wife's FWD Fiat.

Do not switch from AWD if you have the choice. It is night and day and not only more fun to drive in the winter but far safer.

We have high end winter tires on both vehicles but even with all-seasons the subaru is light years better.

I just don't see why you would switch? If it's a money thing, just get an older subaru.
Gas, repairs, lifestyle choice.

Nothing wrong with FWD and a good set of winters. Owning a WRX is a bit of an unfair comparison because it's pricey rally vehicle knowing for not just its AWD, but also handling, torque, etc.

If you're a good driver and read the conditions of the road well, you'll be fine with an FWD.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's mainly about cost. Other hatchback type vehicles are typically several thousand less. Don't get me wrong I love my Forester and may end up just keeping it and running it into the ground. It's been pretty reliable for me. The typical HG leak but other than that just regular wear/tear items. Do Subaru's stay fairly reliable once they get north of 200K?

Old 11-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I don't know re: your question about 200k honestly. Go to westernsubaruclub.com and see if you can find a thread about high mileage subies.

I owned a regular impreza as well before the wrx and it handled just as well.

I don't think repairs are more expensive unless the AWD system breaks down I guess. But Subaru's AWD system is remarkably simple and I haven't even heard of one having issues with that.

Fair enough re: gas and having to pay more up front.

Not sure what lifestyle choice Ozy is referring to. Worse for environment because uses more gas?

Anyways if you do end up with FWD just get really good winter tires as Ozy said and you'll be fine.

I would never get a RWD vehicle for our climate on the other hand. RWD trucks in particular are horrible in snow and ice unless they have 4x4.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The newer Impreza's with the CVT are rated at 8.5 city / 6.4 highway. Much better than my 07 where I'm getting about 10 L/100km (combined).

Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Yes, with maintenance a non-turbo subie will last far past 200k. The age will matter more as the rubber components start to dry and crack (CV boots, ball joint boots, bushings, etc).

FWD can still handle most of what the subaru will. The style of driving is a bit different though and you'll have to adjust. Things like climbing steep hills are worse in a FWD as the weight transfer moves to the rear away from the drive wheels.

I myself like the AWD and don't think I'll ever stray from it. My next vehicle will likely be a subaru again.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I just went from AWD in a car I had for five years to FWD. Had winters on the AWD car and Blizzaks on the FWD. That initial take-off is obviously better in AWD, but a FWD with winter tires can still be a beast. During that big snowfall a couple weeks ago, I drove home from Banff in the left lane like it was no big thing through snow and ice that hadn't even been plowed yet. I wouldn't let AWD be a deciding factor for me.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the launch is the biggest difference, and maybe you get .1 seconds better response, but driving a FF is certainly doable in Calgary and area. As blackarcher said, style may differ slightly, but overall is still manageable. Tires are more important than AWD vs FF debate. The main time you may have an edge in AWD is when there's slushy snow or on wet ice when your vehicle is starting from a standstill.

My car lasted to about 268k and last I checked, the guy who bought it from me still had it on the road (Was an FF, not AWD, about 15 years old). I'd personally keep the subie and keep driving it until it bites the dust or hits a big repair you don't want to pay for.

I personally would also spend time to research that 07 Forester and see what the major issues on that year/model is to decide whether to hold or sell. If the issues suck, sell. If issues are minor, keep.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys get a ton of deep snow in Nova Scotia... FWD with winters will help, but in 3 ft snow drifts AWD will have such an advantage over FWD w/ winters. No way I'd make that trade.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's possible, why not rent, or test drive from a dealer, a FWD vehicle?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've had 3 FWD cars and 3 AWD cars. I have infinitely more fun in the winter with AWD. I only ever got stuck a small handful of times in the FWD cars, they will get you around just fine, but for me.... BOOOORRRRINNNNGGGGG
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #13
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was in looking at a '14 Impreza Touring hatchback yesterday with the CVT. It's a lease buy back so a few thousand off the price of a new one. It has around 10,000km on it. It would be about $100 more a month than I pay now but with what I'd save in fuel and wear/tear items that I've been having to pay lately they basically work out to the same. I'm going to try and get them to throw in some winter tires, undercoating, rubber mats and see if I can get a little more trade in value from them.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I've had 3 FWD cars and 3 AWD cars. I have infinitely more fun in the winter with AWD. I only ever got stuck a small handful of times in the FWD cars, they will get you around just fine, but for me.... BOOOORRRRINNNNGGGGG
I think a hand lever e-brake adds more to the fun than AWD. My current FWD has the hand lever and my old AWD had a pedal e-brake. AWD with lever e-brake would be better, though, haha.

Still for fun, nothing beats RWD. It's just not a good idea as your only car in a winter climate.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think a hand lever e-brake adds more to the fun than AWD. My current FWD has the hand lever and my old AWD had a pedal e-brake.
Lock the hand lever in the release position, then you have an additional free-releasing pedal to add to the fun. Even better than the lever! Less satisfying than yanking on the lever, but much more practical and effective.

Alternatively, buy an AWD with a stick and you're guaranteed to have lever parking brake vs a pedal.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Lock the hand lever in the release position, then you have an additional free-releasing pedal to add to the fun. Even better than the lever! Less satisfying than yanking on the lever, but much more practical and effective.

Alternatively, buy an AWD with a stick and you're guaranteed to have lever parking brake vs a pedal.
That's genius!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think a hand lever e-brake adds more to the fun than AWD. My current FWD has the hand lever and my old AWD had a pedal e-brake. AWD with lever e-brake would be better, though, haha.

Still for fun, nothing beats RWD. It's just not a good idea as your only car in a winter climate.
I find it depends on the AWD system and how much power you have. Some you just have to get the front to start sliding, and all the power will go to the rear and you can drift to your hearts content. With my old car I never had to use the e-brake, just the throttle and the back would come around.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I find it depends on the AWD system and how much power you have. Some you just have to get the front to start sliding, and all the power will go to the rear and you can drift to your hearts content. With my old car I never had to use the e-brake, just the throttle and the back would come around.
Yeah, fair enough. Power wan't an issue in my 300C (340 hp) and it had a 70/30 rear bias, but I never really thought of it as a fun car in that way. Straight lines were awesome, but it wasn't a handler by any means. Whatever you're talking about is a level of fun that wasn't available in my war machine.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a good set of winter tires and you are fine with FWD. If for instance you are looking at an Impreza and a Mazda 3 (FWD) the Mazda is far and away the better car and going with the Subaru just because it's AWD would be a mistake. I own two Subaru's so it's not like I'm biased towards them as their cars all have poor interiors compared to the competition and are largely very average overall.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Mazda is far and away the better car
I'm not sure how the Mazda 3 is "far and away" better. Unless you're talking the speed3, I'd take the Impreza any day vs the 3.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: