Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #41
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, really different from the classy professional you see on the ice!

QUOTE=fleury;3101087]I just came back from Barcelo Solymar today and it was a blast (3rd time). The resort was really busy, and just a good overall vibe aside from the few asshats who can't act properly while on vacation (smashing bottles, hollering, trashing the place etc). Anyway, a certain Oiler d-man rhyming with Beckham was also there and what a vain asshat. Firstly, has his name tattoo'd across his back, pulled the line, "do you know who I am" endlessly, broke bottles, glasses etc to show how tough he was, then proceeded to tell the staff he can afford to pay anything, and worst, kept asking randoms for a certain recreational drug. I don't know how NHL testing works, but considering his craving for it, and the apparent money he has, you can assume he probably got it. I've also never heard a player being so disrespectful to the average woman who came near him (you think these guys can casually drop the NHL player line, but he blatently was an aggressive prick). Just a complete idiot overall, and I'm sure not one person who came in contact with him the whole week left with a good impression. Anyway, end of rant, but hearing him do an Adam Sandler impression every minute of the day was annoying.[/QUOTE]
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright folks, thanks for all your hard work and useful advice, but here we go again.

I'm staying at the Iberostar Playa Alameda, I leave at 11:00 am on Saturday. Do I bring Canadian cash and convert it at the resort? What should I bring? What kind of little stuff should I bring for the maids and such?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #43
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Alright folks, thanks for all your hard work and useful advice, but here we go again.

I'm staying at the Iberostar Playa Alameda, I leave at 11:00 am on Saturday. Do I bring Canadian cash and convert it at the resort? What should I bring? What kind of little stuff should I bring for the maids and such?
Convert it at the Varadero Airport, its the best rates. If you have a personal hotel taxi picking you up, they'll prob make you feel rushed like you don't have time, because they'd rather you do it at their resort so the hotel makes more $$ off you, but trust me, you have time. They'll wait, it only takes a couple mins.

I got the guy'ish stuff (baseballs, shirts, etc) for the male staffers, I let my gf be in charge of stuff for the maids. She mostly just left them toilettries, e.g. toothbrushes, disposable razors, SOAP, some lipstick/make-up, etc. Our one maid loved it, to the point where she left us a thank you note and even a bottle of rum, though I never quite figured out if the rum was a gift or just standard for all the guests. Either way, I was pounding it out on the balcony soon afterwards.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #44
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I stayed at this resort about 4 weeks ago. The beach is great and the resort grounds were pretty nice. I had problems with my room. The AC didn't work, so they moved me to another within 15 minutes. I did hear people were complaining about the service but never had any issues myself. Be sure to wake up and grab chairs at the beach prior to 7am or risk not having a decent spot.

As for the cash. The resort had the worst exchange rate. I heard you could do better at the airport or even the resort next door where they were exchanging 1 for 1. Be sure to spend it all there as the Cuba currency is worthless anywhere else (think monopoly $).

To compare it. I stayed at the Breezes Jibacoa a few years back and loved everything there. I would have no issues going back to either.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #45
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we went I stopped at Walmart and picked up travel size shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash. Left a handful of them everyday and never had a problem getting towels...Never got any rum though

I should have brought some hats though, people out there seem to love baseball caps.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #46
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my first response I didn't notice you asking what to bring in general, just the maids stuff. As I mentioned before in terms of stuff I brought for people, light clothes, toilettries, and fun stuff like baseballs (Cuba to baseball is pretty much Canada to hockey, you see kids playing pick-up games everywhere when you're driving). My gf still loves telling the story of when I gave a Cuban worker at a rum factory we were privately touring a baseball. The guy was 35 and acted like a 9 year old getting a Nintendo at Christmas. So yeah, bring baseballs.

Soap seemed to be a huge hit. I never looked it up, but I was told the government only gives them one bar per family per month, so they really need it. When we were in Old Havana there were a bunch of women beggers, only they were begging for soap, not money, which was interesting. So obviously its important.

Over-all just bring as much as you can, even an extra suitcase full of giveaways (which will come in handy on the way back to house all the stuff you bought down there). I thought I had brought more than enough but by the last 2-3 days I wished I had brought more with me.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #47
mac_gurl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you have brand name shirts you dont want, take those. The waiters and staff kept asking the guys in our group to buy their hurley, o'neill, nike, etc. shirts, hats, sunglasses and shoes. If we would have known before, we would have taken some of his older shirts & shoes rather then his brand new ones and left them for them.
mac_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks again all. Just got back and I had an amazing time!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #49
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks again all. Just got back and I had an amazing time!

so how was the beach? Did you do any tours? How was the food?
Didya get laid? all that stuff.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
so how was the beach? Did you do any tours? How was the food?
Didya get laid? all that stuff.
Went into Havana, saw some of the old city, the beach was amazing, the resort was incredible, it wasnt even close to full so it wasnt crowded and you didnt have to wait for anything.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #51
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gentle nudge to a great thread.

Exploring options for a early December getaway:

Cuba garnering strong consideration; adult only preferred. We actually have this one at the top of the list before I stumbled upon this one:

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, Holguin

Anyone else with experiences/recommendations to share over the past couple of years?

Thanks!

Also open to other suggestions for a week sun getaway (we love Riviera Maya, but looking for something a bit different after going a few times; went to Dominican Republic in February so looking for another option than this as well). Loosly considering Los Cabos or possibly Puerto Vallerta as well.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #52
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.cayosantamaria.info/about.html
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll say this: I loved my vacation in Cuba. It was an absolute blast.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #54
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cayo Coco in Cuba is great as well, just got back from a week there, don't know what they have for adult only though
Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #55
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandals Royal Hicacos is a good choice. http://www.sandalshicacos.com/ as is Paradisus Princessa del Mar. http://www.paradisuscuba.com/varader...princesadelmar
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #56
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interest for the Sandals one on the website it states:

"Effective July 20, 2013, Sandals Resorts ended its Management Contract for this Hotel and it is now being managed by one of the property's Joint Venture Owners: Cabanacan Grupo. Please see below the contact information for the property."

Wonder if any effect on quality...
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #57
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

If you want to go to Cuba, and don't want to go to Varadero, Cayo Santa Maria is likewise wonderful. We stayed at the Royalton in March, which only opened last fall. Its absolutely beautiful, read the reviews on Tripadvisor.

Its a quieter place, but you have access to next door's mega resort, which will more than satisfy any partying needs you may have. Enjoy the days and the exclusive beach at Royalton, and when you have the urge hit next door for the music acts and a large crowd.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #58
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any Cuban vacation updates from anyone?
Old 11-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #59
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Heading to Cuba for NYE. This will be my 3rd trip there. First two were to Varadero but trying Cayo Coco this time. Any nightlife in Cayo Coco or should I prepare to drink scotch and smoke cigars on the beach for a week?
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #60
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

scotch and cigars...doesnt sound so bad! CC is a kickback and relax location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: