Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #61
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just horrible news, and I support the women in any process they need to find closure.

Bill Cosby was a comic hero for many years, and he was an activist as well as a comedian and he will now be known for his sins, and, if guilty (which it looks like he is), all networks should pull any re-runs of his work. It's already happened in some instances.

wiki:

"A new NBC show, scheduled for summer or autumn 2015, created by Mike O'Malley and Mike Sikowitz and to have been produced by The Cosby Show's Tom Werner, was set to feature Cosby as Jonathan Franklin, the patriarch of a multi-generational family.[23] On November 19, 2014, NBC scrapped Cosby's new show after accusations that he sexually assaulted women resurfaced.[24] On the same day, TV Land announced in November that it was pulling reruns of The Cosby Show from its schedule and also removed clips of the show from its website.[25]
Two days earlier, on November 17, 2014, Netflix postponed a Cosby stand-up comedy special after accusations surfaced that the comedian had sexually assaulted Janice Dickinson in 1982.[26]"

I never understood the mentality of people who feel the need to harm others in such a way. I feel horrible for the women and the actors who have worked with him because those rerun checks are going to stop coming.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #62
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Lou ferigno's wife is now among the accusers. Hmm, he's not going to like him when he's angry.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...nese/70011214/

One thing about all these stories is that they've mostly been drugged. I imagine it is tough in a lot of these cases for the women to know exactly what happened to them and makes it even tougher to go forward.

It also moves him well beyond the "he doesn't know how to take no for an answer" serial date rapist to the pre mediated sexual predator.

And to the comments above, when your accusers number well into the double digits, and many of the accusers seem to be credible people who have no obvious reason to go after a quick buck, it seems very tough to give him any benefit of doubt whatsoever.

Also relevant is that his MO and victim selection both seem calculated in such a way to avoid prosecution.
To be clear, I think Cosby is guilty. I don't give him the benefit of the doubt, so my comment wasn't really about him and this issue specifically. Its more the idea that someone could claim these things 30-40 years later and the accused has no real defence other than to say they didn't do it. How can they possibly prove otherwise?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #63
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
To be clear, I think Cosby is guilty. I don't give him the benefit of the doubt, so my comment wasn't really about him and this issue specifically. Its more the idea that someone could claim these things 30-40 years later and the accused has no real defence other than to say they didn't do it. How can they possibly prove otherwise?
Not having a quiet history of similar allegations dogging them for the last 30 years is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #64
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Lou ferigno's wife is now among the accusers. Hmm, he's not going to like him when he's angry.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...nese/70011214/

One thing about all these stories is that they've mostly been drugged. I imagine it is tough in a lot of these cases for the women to know exactly what happened to them and makes it even tougher to go forward.

It also moves him well beyond the "he doesn't know how to take no for an answer" serial date rapist to the pre mediated sexual predator.

And to the comments above, when your accusers number well into the double digits, and many of the accusers seem to be credible people who have no obvious reason to go after a quick buck, it seems very tough to give him any benefit of doubt whatsoever.

Also relevant is that his MO and victim selection both seem calculated in such a way to avoid prosecution.
Probably unfairly singling this out, but I don't understand these kinds of comments. Are you saying Bill Cosby should not get a fair trial or be provided the procedural rights defendants have because he already appears to be guilty?

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!

Last edited by fatso; 11-22-2014 at 09:31 AM.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #65
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
Probably unfairly singling this out, but I don't understand these kinds of comments. Are you saying Bill Cosby should not get a fair trial or be provided the procedural rights defendants have because he already appears to be guilty?
Does it matter? He's not going to see a courtroom over this. It's been hashed out repeatedly.

Quote:
Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #66
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Does it matter? He's not going to see a courtroom over this. It's been hashed out repeatedly.
Huh? Does what matter? That I'm trying to understand people's views on the substance of a discussion? Or that particular view is inconsequential despite being relevant to the substance of the discussion?

Cosby may not face charges (though I don't see how anyone can definitively predict the future) but I thought the substance of the discussion changed in the last 10 or so posts prior to the legal procedural concerns in bringing claims after many years.

"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #67
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh? Does what matter? That I'm trying to understand people's views on the substance of a discussion? Or that particular view is inconsequential despite being relevant to the substance of the discussion?

Cosby may not face charges (though I don't see how anyone can definitively predict the future) but I thought the substance of the discussion changed in the last 10 or so posts prior to the legal procedural concerns in bringing claims after many years.
It hadn't.

Most people here realize that Cosby is only going to be tried in a court of public opinion, and nfotius post addresses that directly.

At least, I'd hope that physiologically a 77 year old man would find himself unable to drug and rape women recently enough to have it brought to court.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-22-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #68
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It hadn't.

Most people here realize that Cosby is only going to be tried in a court of public opinion, and nfotius post addresses that directly.

At least, I'd hope that physiologically a 77 year old man would find himself unable to drug and rape women recently enough to have it brought to court.
Incorrect. CaptainCrunch, AcGold, Slava, and myself were all explicitly commenting on the legal process. I can't speak for nfotiu but i took nfotiu's response to 'the comments above' to be responding to those posts, hence my question.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #69
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Incorrect. CaptainCrunch, AcGold, Slava, and myself were all explicitly commenting on the legal process. I can't speak for nfotiu but i took nfotiu's response to 'the comments above' to be responding to those posts, hence my question.
All of the posts except for maybe CaptainCrunch were either implicitly or explicitly talking about the court of public opinion. I'm not sure what you are getting at any way. If he is going to be sent to jail, then yes, I am okay with them giving him a trial.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #70
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fair enough. I guess we disagree as to the direction of those posts, including my own. I thought in that context you were suggesting he didn't merit a presumption of innocence. I've heard a lot of that "just throw him in jail" rhetoric lately, including in relation to Ghomeshi, and I've never really understood it. It's one thing to have an opinion on the matter based on what the media reports, but it's another to say just get rid of the process because the allegations are so bad.

Anyway, my mistake - that's not what you were suggesting. As I said at the outset, I was probably unfairly singling out that comment any way, so serves me right!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #71
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

If he's innocent, he can have his day in court through a defamation lawsuit, can he not? I'm guessing we won't be seeing one.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #72
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Somewhat surprised to see his autobiography as one of the 20 or so recommended books on display today at Fish Creek library.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #73
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #74
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/model-wh...lice-1.2900971

Quote:
A model who claims Bill Cosby drugged and sexually abused her at the Playboy Mansion met with Los Angeles police on Wednesday to pursue criminal charges against the comedian over the 2008 incident.
An attorney for Chloe Goins said after the meeting that his client is the first woman accusing Cosby of sexual misconduct whose case may fall within the statute of limitations. More than 15 women have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct, including several who say the comedian drugged and raped them in incidents dating back at least four decades.
Interesting if in fact this is with in the limitation period to bring charges.....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #75
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So he's given "an interview" on his side. Based off the clip it's going to be waste of time. Transcript of some of the "questions"
Quote:
Are you prepared for the backlash if a young person comes up to you and says, "my mom says you've done some bad things"? How will you answer them? Did you do it, are you guilty? Are the allegations true?

I'm not sure that they will come like that. I think many of them say, well, you're a hypocrite. You say one thing, you say the other. My point is okay, listen to me carefully. I'm telling you where the road is out. Now, you want to go here, or you want to be concerned about who's giving you the message?

Are you concerned at all, given the allegations, that that may overshadow your message?

I have been in this business 52 years and—I will—I've never seen anything like this. And reality is the situation. And I—I can't speak.

Some of your biggest supporters have said that they're worried about your legacy. What would you like your legacy to be?

I really know about what I'm going to do tomorrow. I have a ton of ideas to put on television. About people and their love for each other.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=31064187
Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #76
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do those classify as answers?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #77
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My point is okay, listen to me carefully. I'm telling you where the road is out. Now, you want to go here, or you want to be concerned about who's giving you the message?
Quote:
And reality is the situation.
Quote:
I have a ton of ideas to put on television. About people and their love for each other.
This is exactly the kind of complete jarbled nonsense I would have expected.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was just nonsense. Why bother?

The only thing hes done right is be silent.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 07-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #79
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bill Cosby drugged woman for sex.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6d90b...give-women-sex
Quote:
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he got Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, and he admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman and "other people," according to documents obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

The AP had gone to court to compel the release of the documents; Cosby's lawyers had objected on the grounds that it would embarrass their client.

Video in link shows document where Crosby admits he obtained drugs for sex.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 07-07-2015 at 03:02 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How will I ever be able to look at Fat Albert the same?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote