Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #321
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Firstly, it was WAY more than 15 minutes
Secondly, 15 minutes x 5000 people (that's being generously low) = $30k+ even at minimum wage.
Thirdly, these people PUT THEMSELVES into these dangerous situations, and in fact I really wish Darwinism runs its toll but clearly it didn't.

Careful you don't turn that into a self-fulfilling prophecy one day.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #322
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
People need to be responsible for their actions. Running a red and crashing into a train will cause delays and inconvenience for tens of thousands of people and bring our public transit system to a standstill.

The better question is why not? Why shouldnt these idiots be publicly shamed?
Um that driver will be responsible. There insurance company will probably have some massive pay out and he was probably charged. Definitely responsible to CT. Not everything has to be some public spectacle or circus.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #323
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

They need something like this that can pop out of the ground before a train shows up

worst thing that would happen

Last edited by Violator; 11-23-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #324
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You wish someone died because a bunch of people were delayed 15 minutes ... or 30 ... or 45.

Seriously, you're a sad sad person.
Yes I seriously wish he died, rather than sitting around soaking up health care money for the stupidity he had.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #325
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. I think that most people can agree that this person did a stupid thing that cost a lot of time and money for many people. But to wish harm or death to another human because of it? That's beyond disgusting.

I shouldn't even respond to such a crass comment, but seriously dude, that's ####ed.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #326
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I seriously wish he died, rather than sitting around soaking up health care money for the stupidity he had.
we're all super impressed with how hardcore you are.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #327
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You'll love this.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/pedestrian...road-1.2119919

At just before 7 a.m., crews were called to the area of Centre Street and 9 Avenue after a man was struck by a commuter bus from Airdrie.

EMS confirmed that they transported a man in his 70s in life-threatening condition from the scene to hospital.

"Witnesses say he was wearing all dark clothing and he was walking against the pedestrian signal on 9 Avenue. He made it most of the way across the road but, because of his dark clothing, he was hard to see."
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #328
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
You'll love this.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/pedestrian...road-1.2119919

At just before 7 a.m., crews were called to the area of Centre Street and 9 Avenue after a man was struck by a commuter bus from Airdrie.

EMS confirmed that they transported a man in his 70s in life-threatening condition from the scene to hospital.

"Witnesses say he was wearing all dark clothing and he was walking against the pedestrian signal on 9 Avenue. He made it most of the way across the road but, because of his dark clothing, he was hard to see."
I heard he died. Anyone else here that?
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #329
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I got caught in the aftermath, 1 St SW northbound was totally jammed.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #330
meanmachine13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ctrain vs pedestrian near chinook mall @ 58 ave

Last edited by meanmachine13; 12-13-2014 at 02:09 AM.
meanmachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #331
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmachine13 View Post
Ctrain vs pedestrian near chinook mall @ 58 ave
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rain-1.2872339

An 18-year old man is in serious condition after being struck by a C-Train Friday night.

The incident happened around 10:50 p.m. MT at the 58th Street SE crossing.

According to police, the light barriers and gongs were operating when the southbound C-Train approached the crossing. The driver saw the man crossing the tracks and applied the emergency brakes. The man was struck by the front corner of the C-Train and came to rest approximately 15 metres from where he was struck.

Police say no one else was injured in the accident and the pedestrian appears to be under the influence of alcohol at the time.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #332
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesterday about 4:40pm on the SB Sommerset train, some idiot in a truck ran into the C-Train I was on near 3rd Street SE near City Hall. Words cannot describe how stupid this collision was.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #333
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to take the train out of the core for about the 3rd time in the last year, yesterday at 5.
Fudge that guy. Calgary needs to make the Ctrain grade separated one way or another. The number of outages is appalling and makes me glad I don't rely on them very often.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #334
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) People greatly exagerate how often the train is "out" for incidents like this. Usually Calgary Transit is very rapid to respond with shuttle buses, and take little time to get things back in line once the incident is cleared.

2) Grade separation is no good. Having the ctrain at grade downtown is no different form the hundreds of other intersections in the city with just cars. An no one is making the agrument to have those grade separated. Just stop at the red light.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #335
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I don't miss about Calgary Transit is the high numbers of delays because of accidents. With how often it occurs downtown, I wonder if they should consider getting 7th avenue buried along with 8th avenue at the same time, so then all of downtown lines would have a subway and would eliminate the number of these incidents significantly. (I imagine)
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #336
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I wonder if they should consider getting 7th avenue buried along with 8th avenue at the same time.
There's two major issues with that idea. The first is money. I haven't heard exact costs, but each line is likely somewhere around a billion dollars to run a subway. The money does not exist for one line, let alone both.

The other is logistics. Where would you run the trains if both lines were shut down at the same time? At least with doing 8th ave first, you could remain with status quo until construction is complete.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #337
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
1) People greatly exagerate how often the train is "out" for incidents like this. Usually Calgary Transit is very rapid to respond with shuttle buses, and take little time to get things back in line once the incident is cleared.
As someone who has taken the train pretty much daily since 1997, no it is not an exaggeration. I do agree that transit does a good job based on what they have to work with. It's just incredibly frustrating when some idiot smokes the train and the whole city lines come to a standstill. In this case it's certainly not Transit's fault this happened.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #338
JamMan23
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
As someone who has taken the train pretty much daily since 1997, no it is not an exaggeration. I do agree that transit does a good job based on what they have to work with. It's just incredibly frustrating when some idiot smokes the train and the whole city lines come to a standstill. In this case it's certainly not Transit's fault this happened.
If it was underground it would not have happened, Transit can do things to limit these events.
JamMan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #339
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about a two-level subway tunnel on 8th? Obviously it would be more expensive than a single-level one, but cheaper and less disruptive than building two separate subways. And 7th could remain operational during construction.

But I'll file this under "would be nice, but never going to happen."
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #340
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I wouldn't count on a double level tunnel being cheaper then two separate tunnels, of course, depending on constructoin method.