Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Dominos is pretty gross (pizza chain discussion)

I wanted to order pizza for lunch and my preferred local pizza place doesn't offer deliveries until the evenings. So I thought I would order in Dominos. I regret the decision, as the all meat pizza I ordered was not at all good.

This got me thinking - is there a good pizza chain around anymore? I swore off both Pizza Hut and Pizza 73 a long time ago as I find them both to be equally terrible. Panago is just bland. Papa John's is OK, except the location nearest to me consistently got my order wrong when I tried it a few times.

Is there an obvious chain I haven't tried that I'm missing out on and actually makes pizza that is half good?

Please bear in mind that I agree 100% that the locally owned and operated, independent pizza places make the best pizza. And while I understand the desire to trumpet your love for your favorite nearby local place, that kind of feedback is not really relevant to the discussion at hand.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give Dominos another try. This time however, just eat the box; it may improve your opinion of thier product.

Tried Dominos months ago, first time in a decade, and I was surprised how awful it was.

Can't help with your search, can merely commiserate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
This got me thinking - is there a good pizza chain around anymore? I swore off both Pizza Hut and Pizza 73 a long time ago as I find them both to be equally terrible.

Is there an obvious chain I haven't tried that I'm missing out on and actually makes pizza that is half good?
I also swore off those two years ago .... I had Pizza Hut a few weeks ago, and it was far better than it was years ago. Like you say, still a LONG ways from a good independent place, but it was ok. Maybe try Pizza Hut again.

I'm hoping others have some good suggestions of chain places too!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chain-wise, Boston Pizza isn't bad.

Edit: I should say, I don't think I have ever had "bad" or "gross" pizza from any place. I have had average pizza, but nothing bad enough that I would refuse to eat. To me, bad would be getting something that tasted like a pizza pop.

Last edited by Wormius; 04-27-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Chain-wise, Boston Pizza isn't bad.

Edit: I should say, I don't think I have ever had "bad" or "gross" pizza from any place. I have had average pizza, but nothing bad enough that I would refuse to eat. To me, bad would be getting something that tasted like a pizza pop.
If you don't mind them giving you a cavity search to get every last penny you have.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only sort-of good thing Dominos has are those lava cakes.

The guys at the shop swear by Coco Brooks. Not having eaten anything from there, I have no idea how it measures up but they all seem to like it.

Last edited by Minnie; 04-27-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Verns pizza, a small chain, from Saskachewan. They have four or five locations if one is close to they are the best.

If you want lots of meat and toppings the original is good if you one a normal(still more than all the chains) their two for one light pizzas are great.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Domino's by me is pretty good, I usually do their $9.99 Mon-Wed 3 topping special. I don't think by anymeans it's gross there is better pizza out there for for 10 bucks it's a good pie.

I do like Panago as well as chains go.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I like Dominos Brooklyn pizza
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
If you don't mind them giving you a cavity search to get every last penny you have.
The only reason I could justify eating there was for the Thai Chicken pizza, which they ended up taking off the menu. I haven't been there since. It's a total rip-off.

Canadian Pizza Unlimited is probably the best chain restaurant pizza I can think of, if it counts as a chain restaurant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schultzie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

The once or twice a year I have Little Caesar's, I usually don't mind it. But maybe I just like the crazy bread more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I make my own pizza and freeze it. I make a crap load of dough and sauce. I buy a whole bunch of different toppings and I make 'em. I usually do it on a Sunday and watch a few movies.

I make calzones too. They freeze better over time.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Verns pizza, a small chain, from Saskachewan. They have four or five locations if one is close to they are the best.

If you want lots of meat and toppings the original is good if you one a normal(still more than all the chains) their two for one light pizzas are great.

I can't stand Vern's. The meat to cheese and crust ratio is all off. Not a fan.

For me, panago is half decent. Papa johns has way too few toppings on their pizzas. Pizza 73 is completely awful and everything else is inbetween. It is a sad time when we have to lower ourselves to a chain joint as none of them can match alot of local joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
lifetimefan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pizza 73 is worse. A native friend of mine took one look at it and asked, "Who puked on the bannock?"

Try Chicago Deep Dish, or Tom's House of Pizza if you prefer thin crust.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifetimefan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Yuck. Verns is awful. There's something so off about the ratios of crust to toppings, and it can seem undercooked sometimes.

It's very filling, but not worth it.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried pizza hut last weekend as we hadn't had pizza of any kind in probably 6 months, but regretting that we didn't get Pizza Bob's or some other independent place. Hanni's 37th st SW is so so- kinda greasy.

Boston pizza has to be the best of the big chains, but delivery for a single L is ridiculous- probably well over $40 when all said and done.

Pulcinellas is the best pizza in town imo

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-28-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalus View Post
I can't stand Vern's. The meat to cheese and crust ratio is all off. Not a fan.

For me, panago is half decent. Papa johns has way too few toppings on their pizzas. Pizza 73 is completely awful and everything else is inbetween. It is a sad time when we have to lower ourselves to a chain joint as none of them can match alot of local joints.
Agreed, Vern's is not good pizza - sure you get a RIDICULOUS amount of meat to the point of being stupid (stupid portions do not make good pizza) but beyond that nothing too it
The Following User Says Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Tried pizza hut last weekend as we hadn't had pizza of any kind in probably 6 months, but regretting that we didn't get Pizza Bob's or some other independent place. Hanni's 37th st SW is so so- kinda greasy.

Boston pizza has to be the best of the big chains, but delivery for a single L is ridiculous- probably well over $40 when all said and done.

Pulcinellas is the best pizza in town imo
IMO they're very overrated. They live off a reputation that has faded a lot during the years. Whenever Tudda isn't working, the pizza's are usually undercooked.

Best pizza's in the city are either Without Papers or Una.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzie View Post
The only reason I could justify eating there was for the Thai Chicken pizza, which they ended up taking off the menu. I haven't been there since. It's a total rip-off.

Canadian Pizza Unlimited is probably the best chain restaurant pizza I can think of, if it counts as a chain restaurant.
It's just a shame CPU hasn't cleaned their stores since 2005. The one is Kensington and the one just north of Sheldon Chumir next to the Macs are filthy.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Matador in Varsity is pretty damn good Btw.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
chains , dominos , eww gross , pizza