Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #481
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a CFL fan, I am kind of glad all these playoff games have sucked so far. People are so quick to call the CFL bush league whenever there are blowouts, low scoring games, lack of parity, etc. etc. etc. It's nice to see that the almighty NFL is not perfect either and that it is just as susceptible to the same issues that the CFL faces. The only difference is most people will excuse the NFL and continue to worship it. I'm glad some people are starting to see that the NFL isn't the end all be all.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #482
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The NBA is going to have the same 2 teams in the Finals for the 3rd year in a row.

Kind of ruins your point.
And if the NFL had the NBA cap and CBA, we'd likely be looking at our 8th straight Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl. So be grateful for a hard cap and not the luxury tax. My point was actually about the talent pool/level of the NBA is growing, not that it was more competitively balanced than the NFL. And the NBA will be expanding, to Seattle and Las Vegas, in the next 5-10 years. So those were basically my points, not that the NBA is a better product (although it currently is) or a more competitive league. With the new CBA though, the NBA very well could be more competitive than the NFL before long.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #483
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean I don't wanna go into a long diatribe to prove the NBA is growing it's talent pool, but using the lack of competitive balance, when we're talking about a Patriots team in it's 7th Super Bowl since 2001, is pretty laughable. The NBA talent pool is growing because of Europe, nevermind once we start seeing the impact of the growth of the game in Asia. The NBA has the entire world to draw talent from, the NFL obviously has a whopping two countries with decent talent pools.

And again, why kill yourself physically and set yourself up for brain damage to make $5 million a year in the NFL, when you can be cut anytime and not get your contract....when you can be an NBA benchwarmer for $10 million+ a year, fully guaranteed? That is also going to cut into the NFL's future talent pool, to the benefit of the NBA. If you could choose which sport to invest in, when considering long term growth potential, you'd be a bit of a fool to choose the NFL.

And eliminating the running game would make the average NFL game 4 hours at a minimum, so that's a non-starter. Anything that makes the game longer is a non-starter.
I'm not going to debate why one should not choose NFL career over NBA, its easy, like you said the money.

But let's not forget the rosters in NFL are 4 times the NBA. Like you said the talent from Europe/Asia is coming so if you're a young kid aspiring to be an athlete, would you choose a sport where your're competing against US/Canada kids for one of 53 roster spots or 1 of 15 against US/Canada/Europe/Asia?

Getting to the NBA is like winning the lottery in those circumstances. Canada has seen its growth from VC's time in Canada, sure its had some 1st overall picks but none of those players are superstars. A lot more kids are playing the game but it doesn't mean the NBA game is any better. It's pretty awful right now.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #484
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

From Peter King's MMQB blog - Tom Brady has 24 playoff victories. The Chicago Bears in their long history have 17 playoff wins.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #485
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
What the heck are you talking about? How is the talent pool in the NBA growing? There is 3 teams that have a shot at the title, rest are all pretenders. Most teams don't have a legit star let alone a superstar. If you were to say the number of average players is increasing then yeah but talented players are down across he board in all sports.

Its a downward slide for all leagues in coming years.

The NFL used to have parity, it doesn't right now cuz there's only a handful of QBs who can win games.

Offences are way to conservative and boring. Where the heck the west cost offense? Air it out, Steelers/Falcons/Packers are fun to watch cuz they throw.

The shortest lifespan of any football position is the RB, they get beat the crap out of and in the history there's only a few guys who were fun to watch they ran the ball. Most guys are bruisers who run into the pile.

Here's an idea, GET RID OF RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. Less collisions, more fun for the fans, more scoring, will develop QBs faster. RB's are athletic enough that they can become receivers. So you're not eliminating a job.
Of the top 100 scoring teams in the history of the NFL, 80 of them have come since 2000.

Of the top 10, half of those have been since 2010.

That really points to the opposite of "conservative and boring".
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #486
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...in-nfl-history

Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #487
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
What the heck are you talking about? How is the talent pool in the NBA growing? There is 3 teams that have a shot at the title, rest are all pretenders. Most teams don't have a legit star let alone a superstar. If you were to say the number of average players is increasing then yeah but talented players are down across he board in all sports.

Its a downward slide for all leagues in coming years.

The NFL used to have parity, it doesn't right now cuz there's only a handful of QBs who can win games.

Offences are way to conservative and boring. Where the heck the west cost offense? Air it out, Steelers/Falcons/Packers are fun to watch cuz they throw.

The shortest lifespan of any football position is the RB, they get beat the crap out of and in the history there's only a few guys who were fun to watch they ran the ball. Most guys are bruisers who run into the pile.

Here's an idea, GET RID OF RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. Less collisions, more fun for the fans, more scoring, will develop QBs faster. RB's are athletic enough that they can become receivers. So you're not eliminating a job.
As a guy who's coached defenses, absolutely yes please, I'll take all of my linebackers out of the game and sit back with a 8 or 9 DB defense versus 6 offensive offense and kill it all day long. Since I don't have to worry about the running game, I don't have to try to figure out coaches tendencies.

As an offensive coach no thanks, a one dimensional offense will get murdered all day long, especially since things like play action will literally not mean anything. I will probably see a lot of my QB's murdered because with a 8 or 9 DB system the blitz pressure could literally come from anywhere and my QB would probably never see it coming.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #488
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Every sport does make up calls, so that's not an NHL specific thing. But you could just do a couple things to help make the game better. Eliminate illegal contact, eliminate spot fouls for PI and make it a 15 yard penalty, eliminate automatic first downs for defensive holding (a 5 yard penalty on 3rd and 20 should not be an automatic first down).

it would be clutch and grab football, i would gladly take a 15 yard PI if the fast receiver is going to blow by me.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #489
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of hilarious that in the last two years when the Eagles have missed the playoffs, they've beaten one of the year's Super Bowl competitors.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #490
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Unless Vic Beasley has the game of his life, I don't see Atlanta winning this game. The Patriots only lose games when Brady is under constant pressure. If you can't pressure Brady, you will lose, plain and simple.
Simanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #491
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

For most of the year the NFC was considered to be the better of the two Conferences, and Atlanta for the most part cruised right thru the NFC competition.

I think this is where we find out just how good this New England defence is. All these years of trading down in the first round, they have built a pretty solid unit that can play a lot of different schemes. You know what the Pats look for when they have 3 defensive backs all from Rutgers.

Atlanta's offence scored on pretty much everyone they played this year save the Eagles. So they should be a good test for New England.

Given the way these playoffs have gone, I suspect New England wins 35-21 type of thing.

Even when you play a good defensive game against New England, they can still light you up for 30.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #492
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Good question. Pittsburgh had the second best offence in the AFC (YPG) after NE, and the Pats held them to 9 points until garbage time. Losing Bell early though made a big difference I'm sure.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #493
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Good question. Pittsburgh had the second best offence in the AFC (YPG) after NE, and the Pats held them to 9 points until garbage time. Losing Bell early though made a big difference I'm sure.
Yeah, the Steelers left too many points on the table before halftime. The drop in the endzone/settling for a field goal after being on the 1 yard line really hurt any momentum they could have gained.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #494
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

New England's defense, let's face it, it's overrated. For fun, here's the slate of QBs they faced:

Tyrod Taylor (x2)
Fitzparick (x2)
Brock (x2)
Tannehill
Matt Moore
Carson Palmer
Cody Kessler (or Josh McCown or RGIII...does it matter? They all are not good)
Dalton
Landry Jones
Russell Wilson
Kaepernick (might have Gabbert but again, who cares?)
Goff
Flacco
Siemian
Roethlesberger

Lots, and lots of crap on that list. No doubt one of the easiest slates Belichick has had.

Now, let's see who Atlanta played

Brees (x2)
Newton (x2)
Winston (x2)
Rodgers (X2)
Russell Wilson (x2)
Carr
Siemian
Rivers
Wentz
Carson Palmer
Alex Smith
Goff
Kaepernick

Looks like they played 3 of the top 5-6 QBs in the league (including twice for Brees and Rodgers), and very little in terms of crap QBs. So yeah to me Atlanta's defense figures to be underrated here, and the Pats overrated. Matt Ryan is easily the best QB New England will face this year. Can't say the same for the Falcons and Brady.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #495
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
New England's defense, let's face it, it's overrated. For fun, here's the slate of QBs they faced:

Tyrod Taylor (x2)
Fitzparick (x2)
Brock (x2)
Tannehill
Matt Moore
Carson Palmer
Cody Kessler (or Josh McCown or RGIII...does it matter? They all are not good)
Dalton
Landry Jones
Russell Wilson
Kaepernick (might have Gabbert but again, who cares?)
Goff
Flacco
Siemian
Roethlesberger

Lots, and lots of crap on that list. No doubt one of the easiest slates Belichick has had.

Now, let's see who Atlanta played

Brees (x2)
Newton (x2)
Winston (x2)
Rodgers (X2)
Russell Wilson (x2)
Carr
Siemian
Rivers
Wentz
Carson Palmer
Alex Smith
Goff
Kaepernick

Looks like they played 3 of the top 5-6 QBs in the league (including twice for Brees and Rodgers), and very little in terms of crap QBs. So yeah to me Atlanta's defense figures to be underrated here, and the Pats overrated. Matt Ryan is easily the best QB New England will face this year. Can't say the same for the Falcons and Brady.
The Pats defense is legit. Say what you will about the teams they played this year, but the Pats defense has been a top 10 defense for 5 years running. This is not a one year blip based on schedule. They haven't allowed an opposing RB over 90 yards in 25 straight games, including games against Bell, David Johnson, McCoy, Ajayi, etc. Devin McCourty and Malcolm Butler are Pro-Bowl players in the secondary and Belichick is one of the greatest defensive minds of all time. This isn't going to be the Packers defense that Matt Ryan is seeing this week. I would be a lot more worried about how the Falcons stop the Pats, with their 25th ranked defense.

Last edited by Simanium; 01-24-2017 at 01:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #496
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Yeah, the Steelers left too many points on the table before halftime. The drop in the endzone/settling for a field goal after being on the 1 yard line really hurt any momentum they could have gained.
Steelers couldn't get in the end zone against the Chiefs the week earlier settling for FG's. I thought their play calling was pretty poor and in goal to go situations.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #497
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simanium View Post
The Pats defense is legit. Say what you will about the teams they played this year, but the Pats defense has been a top 10 defense for 5 years running. This is not a one year blip based on schedule. They haven't allowed an opposing RB over 90 yards in 25 straight games, including games against Bell, David Johnson, McCoy, Ajayi, etc. Devin McCourty and Malcolm Butler are Pro-Bowl players in the secondary and Belichick is one of the greatest defensive minds of all time. This isn't going to be the Packers defense that Matt Ryan is seeing this week. I would be a lot more worried about how the Falcons stop the Pats, with their 25th ranked defense.
Aaron Rodgers numbers last week before garbage time: 12-of-20 for 119 yards, INT. The Falcons defense has gotten better over the year, that's not to say they are great, but they can get to the quarterback and Dan Quinn produced arguably the all-time defensive masterpiece in Super Bowl 48 for the Seahawks. I'm not saying the Pats D is awful, they've just played a lot of crappy QBs and offenses. Atlanta is historically great, not just some good offense we see every year. Belichick is great, but that's the thing about Atlanta's offense: He can focus on Julio, and let everyone else go off. Or he can focus on everyone else, and let Julio go off. Not exactly an easy choice, especially since even if you stop the passing game, they can run the ball really well too.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #498
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Steelers couldn't get in the end zone against the Chiefs the week earlier settling for FG's. I thought their play calling was pretty poor and in goal to go situations.
Play calling was bad for sure. A couple of 3rd and 1's they decided to air it out in both of those games.

I didn't expect Pittsburgh to get past the Patriots anyway, their D just isn't good enough.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #499
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers numbers last week before garbage time: 12-of-20 for 119 yards, INT. The Falcons defense has gotten better over the year, that's not to say they are great, but they can get to the quarterback and Dan Quinn produced arguably the all-time defensive masterpiece in Super Bowl 48 for the Seahawks. I'm not saying the Pats D is awful, they've just played a lot of crappy QBs and offenses. Atlanta is historically great, not just some good offense we see every year. Belichick is great, but that's the thing about Atlanta's offense: He can focus on Julio, and let everyone else go off. Or he can focus on everyone else, and let Julio go off. Not exactly an easy choice, especially since even if you stop the passing game, they can run the ball really well too.
I'm glad you mentioned Dan Quinn in past Super Bowls. Brady had 300 yards and 4 TD's against Dan Quinn's Seahawks defense in Super Bowl 49, which is FAR more talented than Atlanta's defense. Belichick has shutdown legendary offenses many times before, this is nothing new (80s 49ers, '90 Bills, 2001 Rams, Peyton in his 49 TD season, etc.). If there is anyone with a proven track record of out game-planning teams, it's Belichick.

Last edited by Simanium; 01-24-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #500
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For everyone who hasn't watched every single snap of Falcons football this year like I have and wants to know more, check out this post on r/falcons: https://www.reddit.com/r/falcons/com...the_dark_lord/

A little dramatic but they've posted a boat load of highlights from the season. Obviously Julio is ridiculous but check out the Taylor Gabriel and Tevin Coleman highlights to see why this offence is so deadly. Many of these big plays came immediately after the opposing team scored to make the game kinda close. Absolutely demoralizing.

Still can't believe that Falcons and Super Bowl is a thing. Can't wait for next Sunday!!!
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to station For This Useful Post: