Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #81
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Nothing against Jackman, but he really needs to be traded/waived. He brings nothing to a rebuilding team. Scratching Baertschi / Bouma so he can be in the lineup every night is ridiculous.
Beyond rediculous. I fail to see what Jackman has brought to the table this year as all I have seen from him is chasing the puck down the ice, missing a hit and skating back up the ice.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #82
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Our record with Baertschi or Backlund being scratched is 0-2.. Will it be 0-3 after this game?
Don't be shocked if we do lose tonight, I'm not rushing home to watch that's for sure.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #83
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Oh yeah. The point being that he was trained on a WHL team during the most crucial years.

Small guys have to learn to find their space in the NHL. Be patient.
I think that may be the key - patience with Euro drafted players as they take a little longer to adjust. Who knows. I truly believe Hartley wants what's best for Backlund and Baertschi and believes in a slow approach.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #84
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not that surprised.

We have too many top 9 forwards on this team and it's a numbers game now.

Plus Burke is now President of this team and will have some say in how the team plays. Look at the Leafs under Burke, they dressed two fighters on the 4th line for most of his tenure there.

That is going to be the same thing we see in CGY moving forward.

Also I look at the Oilers this year and see why they want to take more of a patient, tough love, approach with our young guys. The team up north is a case study of what happens when you just hand over minutes to players.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #85
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's a case of Baertschi playing on the 4th line is a waste- and he needs to play PP and 2nd line to make it even worthwhile for him to dress.

He's not one of the top 3 LW right now, so he gets to watch from above. I'd rather have Jackman in the game doing nothing for 4 minutes than Baertschi doing nothing for 6- BUT either way it is nothing.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #86
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
I think that may be the key - patience with Euro drafted players as they take a little longer to adjust. Who knows. I truly believe Hartley wants what's best for Backlund and Baertschi and believes in a slow approach.
Well Granlund is a year older and he looks fine this year. The only thing is that you have to be challenged to work extremely hard instead of just waiting to adjust. One reason why coaches may be harder on young players is that they expect so much more from them in the long run.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #87
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'm not that surprised.

We have too many top 9 forwards on this team and it's a numbers game now.

Plus Burke is now President of this team and will have some say in how the team plays. Look at the Leafs under Burke, they dressed two fighters on the 4th line for most of his tenure there.

That is going to be the same thing we see in CGY moving forward.

Also I look at the Oilers this year and see why they want to take more of a patient, tough love, approach with our young guys. The team up north is a case study of what happens when you just hand over minutes to players.
Has Jackman dropped the gloves this year? When was his last fight?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #88
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, the play has died on Baertschi's stick often. What's the solution? Give him more PP time, good one.

Still rooting for Baertschi to pull through here, good on ya for making the tough decisions Hartley!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #89
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish they would just send Sven to Abbotsford so he can play. Not sure if this tough love thing is right or wrong but I do know that he needs to play at this early stage of his career. Let him light things up in the AHL to get his confidence back up. I imagine right now he's not feeling all that good about his game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #90
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wish they would just send Sven to Abbotsford so he can play. Not sure if this tough love thing is right or wrong but I do know that he needs to play at this early stage of his career. Let him light things up in the AHL to get his confidence back up. I imagine right now he's not feeling all that good about his game.
Ya, I agree. Baertschi was pretty low when they sent him down before though. Sounds like he battles confidence issues frequently. In the long run, it might be best though - let him be "the guy" in Abbotsford for an extended period. Once the Flames trade out some of their top 9 forwards - ie. Stempniak, Stajan, Cammellari, Glencross - then there will be a spot for Sven to return to.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #91
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I like Sven, but IMO there's too many plays that die on his stick. He'll make a sick pass or dangle once in a while, but he needs to get dirty, drive the net, shoot more. I think fans better start getting used to him being in and out of the lineup all season and accept it.
Agreed...he's getting better and he is improving but he is going to sit now and then, it's part of the process. He screwed himself a lot by lighting it up on his emergency call up, I am guilty of forgetting he is still a rookie....he has bigger holes in his game than Monahan but they are shrinking.

He is going to be great one day IMO and this is part of the curve.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Jackman, Grats and Bouma...they are just bodies that go in the lineup and already have the name bars sewed on...could be Huey, Dewy and Louey it is irrelevant.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #92
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Absolutely agree. If he goes to Abbotsford and he'll probably get 15-20 minutes a game easily. Send him down, put him on a line with Hanowski and Knight and fire him up again. Far better for him then sitting in the press box or getting less then 10 minutes of playing time.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #93
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

So let me get this straight...its part of the learning process.

What process exactly? A process that only relates to Sven only? You have other forwards who make mistakes or look lazy yet they are never held accountable (so far).

It looks like Hartley is coaching Sven shift by shift...kids going to be too focused on not making mistakes then playing where his skills lie.

End of the story...as long as Sven is on the ice for more goals for then against...who cares. Let the kid wheel and deal.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #94
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am absolutely baffled at how bad our team looks on paper. Oh well, a good effort tonight and they can easily win this. Go Flames.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #95
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Absolutely agree. If he goes to Abbotsford and he'll probably get 15-20 minutes a game easily. Send him down, put him on a line with Hanowski and Knight and fire him up again. Far better for him then sitting in the press box or getting less then 10 minutes of playing time.
I think an AHL demotion might be more demoralizing than a healthy scratch.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #96
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

del

Last edited by FBI; 11-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.
FBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #97
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
He has 38 games NHL experience and a rookie. You put him where his play belongs. Right now, it's the AHL with the other guys that are still learning.

I think I've said this before, if the AHL is demoralizing to him then he's not cut out to be an NHL player. You gotta be a little tougher then that. I could understand if he was established in his NHL career (several years playing in the NHL) and sent down, but he's a kid, he's a rookie, and he barely has his feet wet in the NHL. He is not above playing in the AHL. If he thinks so, he needs to get his head on straight.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #98
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames are on a roll after a big win in Chicago and pretty consistent performances in the previous games. Last game it was Cammallari and Glencross scoring in regulation so I think we'll see some points from Hudler, Monahan and perhaps even Backlund tonight.

Looks like Berra is starting in goal again.

Flames win 5-2
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #99
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
If he's that mentally fragile I would be working the phones in hopes of trading him while he still has some value. This team doesn't need another emotional guy like Tangs. Nazem Kadri had to spend a couple of seasons in the AHL and it helped him big time as when they played him in the NHL right out of junior he wasn't very good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #100
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How is Heatly not in the AHL?
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burntheforrest , gtd , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin