Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2022, 11:12 PM   #41
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Yep - though the plastic body is surprisingly strong. And it has the #1 thing for an accountant...a numeric keypad.

Brilliant screen and still...$1,900 at costco and only 3 lb. Not my main machine (no dock) but as my travelling machine, together with a portable 15.6" monitor....excellent!
I have the 17" love it. If you're chasing specs it doesn't stand out but the overall package is great.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #42
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Hmm ok. That situation I can see it. That's fair. You paid the premium for portability and you use the hell out of that feature. Your requirements are kinda unique though.

I've never met a student who truly needed both. It was either ultra portable or gaming. Work is ultra portable or work horse, rarely need both.

I mean, I get it. I used to travel around with a 17" work horse, usb screen, printed income tax act, printed materials etc. It was heavy and sucked in security at the airport. I swapped the 17" for a 14" i5 lenovo X1 that I paid $1100 and was quite happy with the decrease in bulk. I am the power user type so can use an ultra portable work horse to most of its potential, but I honestly can get by without it.

With so many people seemingly owning them, I just find it hard to believe there's so many people whose minimum requirements require a $1500+ laptop.
I can't imagine a 17" machine being a "need" for a student.

For a professional though, especially one with (dare I say it?) elderly eyes...it's not just a treat, but a need. The screen is outstanding on the LG. And I can easily manage large Excel sheets, even if I need to split the screen with tax and accounting software at the same time. Oh - and the (essentially) full deductibility of the expense doesn't hurt.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #43
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I have the 17" love it. If you're chasing specs it doesn't stand out but the overall package is great.
My only niggling complaint about it is the crappy LG "control" software, most of which I've now deleted.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
My only niggling complaint about it is the crappy LG "control" software, most of which I've now deleted.
The best control software I've used is Lenovo Vantage. It allows quick and easy access to important laptop features such as restricting the battery to 55% charge to extend it's lifetime health, turning on quick charge, overdriving my display, changing the power and fan profile, turning on network boost, turning on Optimus etc.

This is the Vantage for Legion though, I think the regular ones are not as good.

I would not get a Surface Pro 7 for being fanless. I bought a few for folks and they got incredibly hot.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote