Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2016, 04:43 AM   #61
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtin_albertan View Post
What's boring about St. Louis vs Chicago in any sports arena? Just a classic rivalry of cities and in the case of the current NHL, two damn good hockey teams. That was an outstanding series, sign me up for another round next year.

Same with LA vs San Jose, LA vs Anaheim, Calgary vs Vancouver or Calgary vs Edmonton. Hell even Vancouver vs any of LA, San Jose, or Edmonton.

Pittsburgh vs Philly, NYR vs NYI, Montreal vs Toronto, etc.

It doesn't have to be the same series year after year but the potential for absolute classics is off the charts. Love the format.
Huh? Vancouver vs Edmonton is a rivalry? No way. Both teams fan bases don't consider the 2 teams "rivals." There have only been 2 Canucks-Oilers playoff series and they were largely uneventful and that was in the Smythe Division days. The Canucks and Sharks is going to take some time. Most of the other team parings you mention have had good playoff history or close proximity in geography. I still prefer the previous format.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #62
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stars have a very very good chance IMO. It is very fun to have a legitimate rooting interest in a playoff series. Not exactly something we have grown used unless it's to cheer against our rivals.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #63
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Blues open as a slight favorite over Dallas. Gotta think that's because of public perception: Blues defeat the mighty Hawks while Dallas struggled against the lowly Wild.
Or Blues are a better team, beat the stars 4-1 in the season series, and are only the away team because they lost 1 more game than Dallas?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #64
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Huh? Vancouver vs Edmonton is a rivalry? No way. Both teams fan bases don't consider the 2 teams "rivals." There have only been 2 Canucks-Oilers playoff series and they were largely uneventful and that was in the Smythe Division days. The Canucks and Sharks is going to take some time. Most of the other team parings you mention have had good playoff history or close proximity in geography. I still prefer the previous format.
You really don't think Oilers vs Canucks isn't a rivalry? It's the very definition of a regional rivalry.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #65
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I'm rooting for the Stars to win so we get that 1st rounder. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit conflicted. I'm not really a Stars fan but I genuinely enjoy the Blues. They are a big, physical, fast skilled team who rebuilt the right way. No shortcuts. Ultimately, the one team in the league I hope the Flames can become like are the Blues.

Should be a good series. I know it might seem the Stars have the upper hand since the Blues took 7 games to beat the Hawks. But that was the defending Stanley Cup champs and nobody was going to have an easy time facing them. The Wild weren't exactly cup material.

IMO the Blues will come out on top in 6. But if the Stars get Seguin back and he lights things up, they will have the upper hand. Kind of hard to call this one, but I'm going with St. Louis
Lets see them get past the 2nd round first...they have done nothing but choke in the playoffs and one series win doesn't erase that...heck they almost blew a 2-0 lead in game 7 again
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #66
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Or Blues are a better team, beat the stars 4-1 in the season series, and are only the away team because they lost 1 more game than Dallas?
Dallas has home ice. That should make them the default favorite. That they are not is surprising.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:34 AM   #67
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You really don't think Oilers vs Canucks isn't a rivalry? It's the very definition of a regional rivalry.
A very small regional rivalry. It doesn't register on the emotionally charged scale like the Flames-Canucks.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #68
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's a rivalry just not the big one. Calgary's second or third most hated or Vancouver's third or fourth. ... Edmonton has just been irrelevant for too long. Disgust sure but hate?
Who does Edmonton hate. ....? Not really sure anyone cares. Maybe next year right.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #69
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lets see them get past the 2nd round first...they have done nothing but choke in the playoffs and one series win doesn't erase that...heck they almost blew a 2-0 lead in game 7 again

I still think the Blues history of "choking" has almost everything to do with the team on the other side of the ice being the Chicago Blackhawks. Now that St. Louis has beat them, they should be regarded as a very serious threat to win the West.

I'm still hopeful that Dallas can win this series for the sake of the Flames' draft pick, but I really think that the Blues are too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #70
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Dallas has home ice. That should make them the default favorite. That they are not is surprising.
Dallas is still the favorite in game one. They will likely rate to be the favorite for all the home games. And yet St Louis is a favorite for the series. Looks like a potential spot for arbitrage.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #71
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I still think the Blues history of "choking" has almost everything to do with the team on the other side of the ice being the Chicago Blackhawks. Now that St. Louis has beat them, they should be regarded as a very serious threat to win the West.

I'm still hopeful that Dallas can win this series for the sake of the Flames' draft pick, but I really think that the Blues are too good.
Contrary to popular belief they don't always face the Hawks as they have lost six game series to each of the Kings, Hawks, and Wild in succession. No shame in losing to the Kings and Hawks but losing to the Wild IMO is a choke job.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #72
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

might want to look at their playoff history...they have lost to lots of teams that were below them in the standings
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #73
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pulling for the Flames' draft pick, Go Stars Go

Stars in 6
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #74
expo2428
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tough series to judge, I think the Stars firepower might pull it off. This will be a great series to watch and hopefully the stars can guarantee the Flames a draft pick between 27th and 30th.
expo2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #75
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Blues in 6 or 7 unfortunately.

Go Stars
Old 04-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #76
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
might want to look at their playoff history...they have lost to lots of teams that were below them in the standings
The Blues choked a 3-1 series lead and lost to the Canucks in 2001.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #77
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sounds like Nichushkin is a healthy scratch again

vennegoor of hesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #78
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Russell will play.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #79
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on Tre. Get us Nichushkin and Hayes, the playoff rejects.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #80
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duplicate post.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote