Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #121
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous too of the Oilers and their new arena. By the time Flames get their new arena, who knows if guys like Gaudreau and Monahan will even be around anymore. Heck, they might already be in the decline of their careers.
Who gives a crap? Why is it a priority that the arena be ready before these two are on their decline? You'll still want your beer faster, your better food and shorter bathroom lines just as badly when they are gone and have been replaced by our new local ice heros (not that I actually think you are correct).

So funny that people are worried about Edmonton getting their rink first. Their rink was older and worse than the Dome. The Flames have had a better building than the Oil almost their entire existence in Calgary, and we are sweating that they are going to replace their building first? All that means is they will have the shinier new toy for what, maybe 5 years, then we'll have the ever rink for the next 20 or so. Edmonton needed a new rink much worse than we did and their building was older,mthusmthey are getting theirs first, people need to calm down.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #122
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous too of the Oilers and their new arena. By the time Flames get their new arena, who knows if guys like Gaudreau and Monahan will even be around anymore. Heck, they might already be in the decline of their careers.
I get that you are jealous of Edmonton's new arena, but why in God's name would anyone be jealous of the Oilers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #123
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get that you are jealous of Edmonton's new arena, but why in God's name would anyone be jealous of the Oilers??
5 Stanley Cups & Whyte Ave. Love that pizza place at 2am.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 AM   #124
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly not a big fan of the outside exterior. Reminds me of a fancier Saddledome, too much aluminum siding making it look like a tuna can. I'm a fan of lots of glass as an exterior facade. Kansas City Sprint Center is much nicer on the outside. I am quite envious of the interior of Rogers Arena... Looks top notch.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #125
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The outside is just ridiculous. Pork chop, apostrophe, sperm. Call it what you want. That's a bad looking design.

As far as jealousy goes, I've been to enough great arenas to not worry about that. Oiler fans got to be jealous of the Saddledome for 30 years. They'll have the newer rink for about a decade, it seems, then we'll have our new barn too. I see no reason to be jealous of Edmonton any more than I should Newark or St. Paul - both of which have tremendous rinks themselves.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #126
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah I don't really see a reason to be jealous. I've been to a bunch of Arenas around the NHL, and to be honest I forget about them because its not the one I go to all the time.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #127
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope there is a lot of glass on the facade of Calgary's new rink. Glass makes things like nice.

The concrete bowl of GM Place is unsightly, as is too much aluminum siding.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #128
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can see that, they're getting that arena, but at the end of the day I'm not jealous of the absolute fleecing that they City of Edmonton took.

The Oilers get nice, shiny new digs and the City and Citizens get a nice fat bill to pay for the foreseeable future. Thanks but no thanks. I like the Flames but I love Calgary.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #129
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I can see that, they're getting that arena, but at the end of the day I'm not jealous of the absolute fleecing that they City of Edmonton took.

The Oilers get nice, shiny new digs and the City and Citizens get a nice fat bill to pay for the foreseeable future. Thanks but no thanks. I like the Flames but I love Calgary.
Really people act like that money is coming out of their own personal bank accounts but the reality is that the city will manage just fine and things will move forward. We always hear about all these bad deals in North America for professional sports facilities but when has a city actually really been crippled because of it? All the cities are wasting taxpayer money on a daily basis and an arena just a different place to waste it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #130
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lotta shade being thrown in this thread!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #131
Flamescat
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's a giant metallic toilet that looks like it was designed by Frank Gehry. Toilet because of all the turd hockey that's being played there.
Flamescat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #132
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really people act like that money is coming out of their own personal bank accounts but the reality is that the city will manage just fine and things will move forward. We always hear about all these bad deals in North America for professional sports facilities but when has a city actually really been crippled because of it? All the cities are wasting taxpayer money on a daily basis and an arena just a different place to waste it.
When you're living in a Province that is hell-bent on spending money they dont have and didnt earn I'd rather not have our City follow suit.

And maybe it hasnt crippled a city yet but I'd rather not be the first and I also dont want my Mayor coming in and saying:

"Sorry guys, we cant build that LRT station because....."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #133
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A metric **** tonne of cities.

Sure, they may bot be bankrupting the cities, but the opportunity cost of that money is being lost.

In the US, they are closing schools, cutting back on education, health spending, transportation. The actual things cities and provinces are supposed to spend money on that actually promote the lives of every citizen.

You cannot see the decline in education or healthcare, you cannot see the degradation of inner-cities in America while pantheons of human entertainment and excess are getting built next door.

It's atrocious, but it isn't a black and white, zero sum game. We see an arena, we don't see cut backs or increased debt load.

Your comment is literally the chant of those too ignorant to see the decline that is in store for western/capitalist societies in the next 50 years.

Last edited by Cappy; 05-31-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Apologies for being a fearmonger
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #134
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Sure, they may bot be bankrupting the cities, but the opportunity cost of that money is being lost.
Opportunity cost of what exactly? The tax that municipalities put into play to pay for these stadiums? Because they don't come out of operations or capital budgets.

Quote:
In the US, they are closing schools, cutting back on education, health spending, transportation. The actual things cities and provinces are supposed to spend money on that actually promote the lives of every citizen.
Great summation and emotional plea to the jury, counselor, but I'd like to counter a few things. Education spending is restricted at the state, not at the local level. The money that pays for improvements in infrastructure is also controlled primarily by state and fed money. Healthcare is a complete red herring and municipalities do not pay for those services. As I previously stated, local tax payers end up paying for the new facility through a directly imposed tax or levy to support the building. That is the nice thing about politics down here, the municipality pays for stuff through bonds or directed taxes, so it is fleshed out and voted on by the people prior to spending begins.

Quote:
You cannot see the decline in education or healthcare, you cannot see the degradation of inner-cities in America while pantheons of human entertainment and excess are getting built next door.

It's atrocious, but it isn't a black and white, zero sum game. We see an arena, we don't see cut backs or increased debt load.

Your comment is literally the chant of those too ignorant to see the decline that is in store for western/capitalist societies in the next 50 years.
Stadiums are the downfall of western society? Come on. This debate can get emotional, but that's a new extreme for this argument.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #135
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Uhm................If the stadium is funded by government the money IS coming out their own bank accounts. That's how taxes work.

There are countless examples of where building a new stadium has been a huge mistake. How long did it take for Montreal to pay for the Big O? If it didn't bankrupt the city then it must have been a huge success? Is that what you are saying?
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #136
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Uhm................If the stadium is funded by government the money IS coming out their own bank accounts. That's how taxes work.

There are countless examples of where building a new stadium has been a huge mistake. How long did it take for Montreal to pay for the Big O? If it didn't bankrupt the city then it must have been a huge success? Is that what you are saying?
LOL you really going to use the 1976 Montreal Olympics disaster as an argument?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #137
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
LOL you really going to use the 1976 Montreal Olympics disaster as an argument?
You actually use LOL. OK then.

Ya, 1976 is a very long time ago. But 2006 isn't all that long ago and that's when Montreal finally paid it off.

There are stadiums in Canada that aren't even 10 years old that have no tenant and are nowhere near being paid for. Abbotsfords arena has been nothing but a huge money pit for the city. The Medicine Hat Tigers want to move. They have been in the new building for ONE season.

Building a new stadium isn't anywhere near the slam dunk of a good investment that you seem to think it is.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #138
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya, 1976 is a very long time ago. But 2006 isn't all that long ago and that's when Montreal finally paid it off.

There are stadiums in Canada that aren't even 10 years old that have no tenant and are nowhere near being paid for. Abbotsfords arena has been nothing but a huge money pit for the city. The Medicine Hat Tigers want to move. They have been in the new building for ONE season.

Building a new stadium isn't anywhere near the slam dunk of a good investment that you seem to think it is.
It's never really a good "investment" but neither are art projects around the city. What does art contribute to the economy? Nothing. But they are still nice and they entertain us and enrich lives.

The Olympics were great for the City of Calgary, and without the dome, oval, track and jumps, Calgary wouldn't have had it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #139
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Tigers didn't want to move. The problem was having no lease for the new arena. Now that they have agreed to a lease they will remain for many years to come.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #140
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Opportunity cost of what exactly? The tax that municipalities put into play to pay for these stadiums? Because they don't come out of operations or capital budgets.
Money is money, if it wasn't spent - recurrently - on arenas, it could go operations or capital, be left in the hands of taxholders, taxed by another level of government, etc. Drawing these arbitrary silos around different budgetary areas and saying they must be maintained is self-delusion and ignores the relationships between economic factors.

What you are claiming is effectively the argument a six year old makes when he says he has a separate stomach for desert.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: