Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Gawd that Smid trade looks terrible right now.
It was always going to look grim at the tail end.

I'm hoping we keep Nakladal, I think Spoon has had his shot and shown his worth and no matter what happens, after this season Smid and Wideman are gone and their minutes will have to be replaced.

Jokipakka is stepping in and hopefully Nakladal can as well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #62
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the team having 5 spots taken by Gio/Brodie/Hamilton/Jokipakka/Engelland, there is no reason to sign Nakaldal and I like Nakladal.

The Flames defense as it sits is

Gio-Brodie
Blank-Hamilton
Jokipakka-Engelland
Spoon/Kulak as the #7

Wideman, if he isn't dealt will likely be put in Joki's spot and Joki moved up with Hamilton. That of course isn't the ideal situation. Ideally, Wideman will be dealt and the Flames sign a better player to be a #4. Guys like Hamhuis, Goligoski, Liles, Kris Russell, Brian Campbell and Demers would be better options for #4 and each is potentially realistic as a signing if Wideman gets dealt.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I don't see the upside with Wotherspoon. Just cause you're young doesn't guarantee you're going to get better.
So Nakladal can get better but Wotherspoon can't? Wotherspoon has more room to get better because he's younger. There's not really much to choose between them already so it's pretty obvious that Wotherspoon would have more upside given he's five years younger. Hartley never really gave him a chance but he's probably going to get a much better look this fall.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #64
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post

Wideman, if he isn't dealt will likely be put in Joki's spot and Joki moved up with Hamilton. That of course isn't the ideal situation. Ideally, Wideman will be dealt and the Flames sign a better player to be a #4. Guys like Hamhuis, Goligoski, Liles, Kris Russell, Brian Campbell and Demers would be better options for #4 and each is potentially realistic as a signing if Wideman gets dealt.
Can't see the Flames going after a defenseman via FA this summer. With any contract(s) they move out that money will likely be going towards Monahan/Gaudreau/RW/Goal.That last D pairing (on the nights Engelland sits)will likely be making $2 million total, if that.

Last edited by Toonage; 05-27-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #65
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Engelland has good value IMO. But he's our only defenceman who makes the opposition pay the iron price so I don't think we can move him. Our defense would be too soft without him.

Just let him keep his balls after paying the iron price
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #66
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So Nakladal can get better but Wotherspoon can't? Wotherspoon has more room to get better because he's younger. There's not really much to choose between them already so it's pretty obvious that Wotherspoon would have more upside given he's five years younger. Hartley never really gave him a chance but he's probably going to get a much better look this fall.
I personally thought Nak was head and shoulders above Wotherspoon.

I thought Wotherspoon looked overwhelmed pretty much every game while Naks only issue was his speed but he never seemed to make poor choices.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #67
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Engelland has good value IMO. But he's our only defenceman who makes the opposition pay the iron price so I don't think we can move him. Our defense would be too soft without him.
thanked purely for this reference

I see Nakladal as a solid bottom pairing d-man with room to grow into the N.A. style of game. He plays the body well and can skate a little. He's got a great shot for the 2nd PP unit (or first if he really starts producing). My problem with him is mostly his decision making, which is going to be hard to change at this point in his career. That's the reason he's likely no better than a 3rd pairing d-man, but stick him with Engelland and I think you have a pretty solid pair in limited exposure.

In my mind, we have to move Wideman now and keep Smid on IR for the remainder of his contract. Sign Nakladal to a 2-3 year deal for around $1-1.5 million and hope he can improve.

While we have some decent d prospects in the system, nobody is banging down the door just yet, and Nakladal was heads and tails above the rest of them anyway.

The defense has enough talent, now we need the coach with the right system, and an adequate goalie to make the team competitive, underscoring the importance again of addressing both of these issues this off-season.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #68
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Personally, the top 7 I would prefer would be

Brodie-Demers
Giordano-Hamilton
Jokipakka-Nakladal
Wotherspoon

Get rid of Engelland, Smid, Wideman to make some cap space.
Since when is Demers a legitimate top-pairing defenseman...and when did he become better than both Giordano AND Hamilton?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #69
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Since when is Demers a legitimate top-pairing defenseman...and when did he become better than both Giordano AND Hamilton?
He plays top 4 minutes consistently on teams much better than the Flames, and he's done it for years now.

Almost 21 minutes per night this season on a top 5 team.

He's a solid D-man, but if you question Granteed's post just switch the order he has them in.

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Demers
Jokipakka - Nakladal

Better?

EDIT:

Just to be clear, I don't think he's better than any of our top 3, but he'd be an awesome #4 to round things out. He'd fit in great as a mobile puck mover who isn't terrible in his own end either. If the Flames want to play a possession game he'd be a great add IMO.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-27-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #70
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Smid and Wideman will most likely have negative trade value. I'd be shocked if someone trades for them.
You don't think Wideman can get moved at the deadline?

For Smid it all depends on health.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #71
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

No way we pick up a FA defense this year. Even if we got rid of Smid, Engellend, and Wideman. Let Jokki, Nakladal and the prospects play.

Clear some cap space, get through the expansion draft and if no one looks to be able to fill the #4 spot then look for someone.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 11:24 PM   #72
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames should trade Wideman and Engelland, both at 50% retained, at the draft to teams in need of right handed defensemen who will be of lower cap hits than what's available at free agency

That's the only way Nakladal is remotely considered to be signed
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #73
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think the Flames should trade Wideman and Engelland, both at 50% retained, at the draft to teams in need of right handed defensemen who will be of lower cap hits than what's available at free agency

That's the only way Nakladal is remotely considered to be signed
Let's say trading Wideman with 50% retained at the draft gets you a fringe NHLer. Basically a giveaway.
But Wideman with money retained at the deadline gets you a 2nd round pick.

Is making space for Nakladal worth that much?

My assumptions could be way off but I believe Wideman has more value at the deadline.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #74
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we dont sign him I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers signed him.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #75
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have posted it will depend on what they can do with Wideman and Smid. Smid is untradable. The only way he is off the roster is if he is healthy enough for a buy-out, or flames know for sure he will be on LTR for the season. Flames will have to eat a bunch of salary on Wideman in order not to have to take a player back in the deal.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #76
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I personally thought Nak was head and shoulders above Wotherspoon.

I thought Wotherspoon looked overwhelmed pretty much every game while Naks only issue was his speed but he never seemed to make poor choices.
I disagree that Wotherspoon looked overwhelmed. But even if we agree he was, he will overcome that.

Nakladal is not going to overcome his skating - he is what he is.

Wotherspoon is a little behind Nakladal right now, but he won't be in a year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #77
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, I think people are REALLY jumping the gun on Nakladal's value.

He looked ok on the bottom pairing for a handful of games. That's it. People are talking about givin him PP minutes, and him replacing a 40-point offensive defenceman, and how we should be clearing out other players to make room for him, it's just madness.

He's worth resigning, because he'll be cheap and he's looked better than replacement-level. He was a good find, and I'm glad to have him in the organization, but he's not the kind of player you go making plans around.

And I'm perfectly happy with him pushing valuable defenceman prospects down the depth chart. Everyone likes to pay lip service to the Detroit model, but then has a fit when the Flames don't clear roster spots for their favorite prospect. I don't care if Wotherspoon is waiver eligible. If you're worried about a player's waiver status, he's not ready.

Sign Nakaladal to a one-way deal for <$1m. Smid will be on the IR for the rest of his career, and Wideman will be moved at the deadline for a decent asset. Kyllington isn't ready yet, and when Wotherspoon forces his way onto the roster either in camp or on an injury recall, then we can worry about how to make room.