Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
NHL players in Korea and then Beijing could be a big opportunity to build some momentum in that part of the world.
Yes but it is momentum that the KHL will likely benefit from, not the NHL. The KHL is already expanding to China, and in talks with Korea and Japan.

In terms of purely growing the game to other markets, there will be a benefit. In terms of real benefit to the NHL it is pretty marginal at best.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yes but it is momentum that the KHL will likely benefit from, not the NHL. The KHL is already expanding to China, and in talks with Korea and Japan.

In terms of purely growing the game, yes, but in terms of real benefit to the NHL it is pretty marginal at best.
True, and from what I understand, the insurance costs they're talking about are not inconsiderable. Its a lot of money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #23
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

In terms of purely growing the game to other markets, there will be a benefit. In terms of real benefit to the NHL it is pretty marginal at best.
Unless your selling the NHL players as a better leauge than the khl. Then push NHL games on Asian networks and let that simmer for 50 years.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #24
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Disagree.

Disagree so much.
I don't follow amateur hockey, curling, figure skating or the bobsled any other time, why should I care once every 4 years?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #25
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

looks like the 2018 olympics will be a massive failure........
sharkov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharkov For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #26
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Unless your selling the NHL players as a better leauge than the khl. Then push NHL games on Asian networks and let that simmer for 50 years.
I am sure telling NHL owners to pause the NHL regular season for 2-3 weeks, risk their franchise and/or star players potential playoff and cup runs, for a payoff 50 years down the lines is going to receive a lot of support.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
To play devils advocate for the NHL/NHLPA, why would they spend money with zero return on the investment? Does having NHL players in the Olympics add a massive fan base that did not already exist, particularly for a games with such a massive time difference?

I can see why the NHL/NHLPA would not want to pony up a single penny.
They don't get zero return, though the return they get is difficult to quantify. Which is what this posturing and negotiating between all parties is about, at least in my view.

Quote:
I am sure telling NHL owners to pause the NHL regular season for 2-3 weeks, risk their franchise and/or star players potential playoff and cup runs, for a payoff 50 years down the lines is going to receive a lot of support.
They have no problem supporting the World Cup, which has all of the same risks and questionable benefits save for the schedule disruption. What's the difference? Which party collects the revenues seems to be the only one.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 04-23-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #28
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I don't follow amateur hockey, curling, figure skating or the bobsled any other time, why should I care once every 4 years?
I don't know, I'm not asking you to.

I do though. I couldn't care less about the sports you listed and most winter sports in the time between the Winter Games, but for those two weeks I am hooked. I'll watch anything and everything. It's one really big fun event. Hopefully this city gets to experience them again too one day.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #29
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post

They have no problem supporting the World Cup, which has all of the same risks and questionable benefits save for the schedule disruption. What's the difference? Which party collects the revenues seems to be the only one.
Yes that's the point. The World Cup is of direct benefit to the NHL.

The Olympics in Korea, not so much.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #30
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The payoff isn't 50 years... Growth would begin short term in the next 10 years in and around piggy backing off the games, showcase nhl games, sell some merch, put the nhl on asian networks for free to begin. I just used 50 years as loose don't give up in the short term. Owners care about growth.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #31
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes that's the point. The World Cup is of direct benefit to the NHL.

The Olympics in Korea, not so much.
I wish the consideration of a true best on best tournament with all of the prestige that it entails mattered more than manufacturing a lesser event in every aspect except the beancounting. That's all.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #32
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad. Seeing NHLers on Olympic ice is always more enjoyable. Plus the Olympics creates super teams that we would never see at the NHL. It really is the best level of competition in the sport
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #33
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Asia is the perfect market for Hockey to want to grow. So many people and quite a bit of winter. But all the NHL owner cares about is short term gains. The Rogers deal, expansion processes, the lockouts, the rule changes, etc. is all a reflection of what the league really cares about.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

2018 Team Canada opening lineup

W Mason Raymond - C Max Reinhart - W Devin Setoguchi
D Brandon Gormley - D Kenney Morrison
G Leland Irving

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #35
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No question. But NHL owners need to look to the league now vs. before the red curtain. Russian players have introduced a whole new level of entertainment, talent, and style of play we wouldn't have never seen without hockey expanding its interests. Austin Matthews is a direct benefit of the southern expansion.

I would personally love to see Asian culture influence the game. Look at what Yao Ming did to the NBA. Before Yao the centre was a physical big man in the paint who looked silly at the free throw line and 3 point range. Since Yao, having a pure-paint big man is a weakness in your line up.

No exposure is bad exposure.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #36
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So there would be no real best on best International hockey competition? That is tremendously weak.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #37
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
No question. But NHL owners need to look to the league now vs. before the red curtain. Russian players have introduced a whole new level of entertainment, talent, and style of play we wouldn't have never seen without hockey expanding its interests. Austin Matthews is a direct benefit of the southern expansion.

I would personally love to see Asian culture influence the game. Look at what Yao Ming did to the NBA. Before Yao the centre was a physical big man in the paint who looked silly at the free throw line and 3 point range. Since Yao, having a pure-paint big man is a weakness in your line up.

No exposure is bad exposure.
We have been watching "Russian" players for decades. the 72 Summit series was the real big start of it because it allowed best on best between them and Canada for the first time. Though Canada did have amateur teams that could and did compete with the old Red Army/Select teams for many years.

The World cups that followed were absolutely the best hockey I have ever watched....bar none. It's really to bad they got away from them but it was because the Olympics were opened up to the pros for the first time.

I do believe that this years World Cup will be the catalyst to get back to the original formats as well. The whole under 23 and team "Europe" thing was implemented as a one time thing IMO until they can determine a proper way to make it 8 countries only.

If and when they do that, there is no doubt the Olympics will be nothing but a memory until they are held in North America once again.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the Olympics are great, with or without the best hockey players.

I will watch curling, and skiing, and figure skating, and all kinds of things I otherwise never watch.

And I will thoroughly enjoy all of them.

However, when it comes to hockey, non best-on-best is pointless. It ruins the value of watching hockey. Which is the best sport by far.

I remember the 70s and 80s. Olympic hockey had a few moments, but it was mostly not that great. It simply isn't that riveting, and it doesn't generate the emotional charge, when the best players aren't there. After a bunch of amateur 20-24 year-olds lose to Finland and Sweden and even Switzerland, my reaction is: whatever.

The last 4 Olympics have been excellent. Powerful. Exciting. And the other nations are catching up. The US is closing the gap. Sweden is competitive. Finland is getting better. Russia should be good.

Winning gold only matters to me if the best athletes are competing.

I don't want to see my favourite sport reduced to a non-relevant tournament of second rate players.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #39
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good, ef the Olympics. I hope they never go back. I hope the IOC removes hockey like they did with baseball.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Do you watch the Summer Olympics?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote