Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
NMC's by team

Spoiler!

It looks like the teams hampered the most by having to protect NMC's will be Columbus and New York Rangers. Chicago and Pittsburgh both have to protect a lot of players, but those guys were getting protected anyway.

This leads me to think: is there a possibility Columbus packages one of those NMC's with pick number 3 to trade down this summer?

EDIT: I just realized I looked at the wrong years for the expansion draft in my previous post. Edited now for expansion drafts in 2017 or 2018 instead of 2018 or 2019.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I think it would be a good idea for the expansion team to have a one-time unlimited selection of any player from the team that has drafted #1 overall the most times since the last expansion draft. That seems fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post

It looks like the teams hampered the most by having to protect NMC's will be Columbus and New York Rangers. Chicago and Pittsburgh both have to protect a lot of players, but those guys were getting protected anyway.

This leads me to think: is there a possibility Columbus packages one of those NMC's with pick number 3 to trade down this summer?
The rationale is sound but I guess by definition guys with NMC's are difficult to trade.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:08 AM   #24
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think they need to put every NHLer's name on a big wheel and the expansion team can spin it. Granted, an exceptionally large wheel would be called for, but sometimes you just need a huge wheel. They solve many issues.

Worked for WCW... https://youtu.be/krudzxbcwq0

"Spin the wheel, make the deal!"
drewtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:50 AM   #25
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone else the irony in confirming that there will (or won't) be an expansion to Las Vegas and/or Quebec, when the BoG meeting is in Vegas. Can't see them holding this meeting in Vegas to then turn around and go "Thanks for having us but maybe later"
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 AM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Anyone else the irony in confirming that there will (or won't) be an expansion to Las Vegas and/or Quebec, when the BoG meeting is in Vegas. Can't see them holding this meeting in Vegas to then turn around and go "Thanks for having us but maybe later"
Haha thought of that as well. I think the bigger questions are just the dates involved and wether or not there will be two expansion teams or just the one. I don't think there's a way they come out and go "never mind, not happening"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steven Brunt on 960 this morning saying that Vegas is almost a done deal and the league doesn't want to go to Quebec City. Sounds like the NHL wants to beat the Raiders to Vegas.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 AM   #28
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
The BOG has been going to Vegas for years now, along with the awards. If they don't announce Vegas expansion in Vegas this year, they'll do it next year.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The BOG has been going to Vegas for years now, along with the awards. If they don't announce Vegas expansion in Vegas this year, they'll do it next year.

But what they won't do is announce that there will be no expansion, which was one of Bettman's four possible outcomes. This is happening sooner or later, and I hope it is sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:16 AM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Me too. I want to get to Vegas for that October 2017 home opener!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #31
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Steven Brunt on 960 this morning saying that Vegas is almost a done deal and the league doesn't want to go to Quebec City. Sounds like the NHL wants to beat the Raiders to Vegas.
Which is why Gary Bettman needs to go. Vegas is the next Arizona Coyotes only worse, it is going to fail and fail miserably. The current season ticket drive might be doing ok but the novelty will wear off quickly. People go to Vegas to have a good time gambling, or going to shows, or a million other things to do besides go to a hockey game. Quebec City on the other hand is a hockey crazed city that would sell out every single game. I get that Bettman's ultimate goal is to make the game bigger in the States but this is just an epic fail of an idea.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 AM   #32
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

wut
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Which is why Gary Bettman needs to go. Vegas is the next Arizona Coyotes only worse, it is going to fail and fail miserably. The current season ticket drive might be doing ok but the novelty will wear off quickly. People go to Vegas to have a good time gambling, or going to shows, or a million other things to do besides go to a hockey game. Quebec City on the other hand is a hockey crazed city that would sell out every single game. I get that Bettman's ultimate goal is to make the game bigger in the States but this is just an epic fail of an idea.
I don't think so. Why did Quebec lose their team in the first place? Were they sold out every game?

Vegas + NHL would work. It's a large metro area firstly, plus the obviously huge tourist population at any given time. No doubt in my mind they become popular and have good attendance.

What worries me is Vegas + NHL + NFL. Corporate dollars will all go to the NFL team leaving the NHL team to rely on gate and TV revenue. Sure, there are only 8 home NFL games a season, but the corporate dollars are what count.

It's funny how the Raiders have been looking to move the minute they got to Oakland. Go back to LA and call it a day already.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't think so. Why did Quebec lose their team in the first place? Were they sold out every game?

Vegas + NHL would work. It's a large metro area firstly, plus the obviously huge tourist population at any given time. No doubt in my mind they become popular and have good attendance.

What worries me is Vegas + NHL + NFL. Corporate dollars will all go to the NFL team leaving the NHL team to rely on gate and TV revenue. Sure, there are only 8 home NFL games a season, but the corporate dollars are what count.

It's funny how the Raiders have been looking to move the minute they got to Oakland. Go back to LA and call it a day already.
The Nordiques averaged about 95% attendance over their time. Economic reasons mostly due to the Canadian dollar were the main reason for the teams move. I strongly disagree about your views that Vegas will have good attendance. Yes, in the first year and maybe the second it will be a new team and they will draw well. After that the novelty will be gone and it will dip drastically. Las Vegas makes their money from tourism for gambling and shows and other entertainment reasons, nobody is planning a trip to Vegas to watch sports. There is a reason the other big sports markets don't touch it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a highly opinionated post with little facts to back it up. Quebec City has much more obstacles as first of all it's a small, government city with little in the way of corporate money. Second of all we even in the 80's when tickets were cheap they only averaged attendance in the low 14k's which doesn't cut it today. Third overall is that the league doesn't need another eastern based team. The league needs another western team to balance the conferences. Fourth overall is that Quebec City will likely become the least desired destination in the NHL by a long shot and the problems the Jets have would be amplified out there especially with the CDN dollar fluctuations. Quebec City is simply a fantasy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #36
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Vegas will be fine, they won't be top attendance wise but they won't be the worst either. I would much rather see a team in a "traditional" hockey market but I think the announcement will be that there are 2 teams in the expansion. Vegas will be to "grow" the game and expand in a new market and Quebec will be to strengthen an already striving hockey market and give Canada(ish) another team.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #37
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's a highly opinionated post with little facts to back it up. Quebec City has much more obstacles as first of all it's a small, government city with little in the way of corporate money. Second of all we even in the 80's when tickets were cheap they only averaged attendance in the low 14k's which doesn't cut it today. Third overall is that the league doesn't need another eastern based team. The league needs another western team to balance the conferences. Fourth overall is that Quebec City will likely become the least desired destination in the NHL by a long shot and the problems the Jets have would be amplified out there especially with the CDN dollar fluctuations. Quebec City is simply a fantasy.
The building didn't hold much more than that, attendance was still high. The economics do come into play for sure though. I don't really care if the Nords come back or not but if the NHL wants to expand in the West there are many better markets out there than Vegas. It won't work. Seattle would work much better.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #38
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I think Vegas will be fine, they won't be top attendance wise but they won't be the worst either.
This was said about the Coyotes too when they moved there and there is not near the other options of entertainment. We will see I guess but I can't see it working.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #39
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This was said about the Coyotes too when they moved there and there is not near the other options of entertainment. We will see I guess but I can't see it working.
There's not near the number of tourists, either.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #40
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
There's not near the number of tourists, either.
Ok, you are a tourist coming to Vegas. You can go to shows, concerts, gambling, etc...but instead you are going to go to a hockey game, the least popular sport in the U.S.? I really don't think so.