Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is a fair $ for Joe Colborne?
Flames shouldn't qualify him and let him walk. 10 2.46%
Less than $1.5 million 11 2.70%
Between $1.5 to $2 million 91 22.36%
Between $2 million and $2.5 million 172 42.26%
Between $2.5 million and $3 million 99 24.32%
Between $3 million and $3.5 million 18 4.42%
Between $3.5 million and $4 million 4 0.98%
More than $4 million 2 0.49%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #101
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 years total of 7.5, or take the arb for 1 year.
I like Colborne a lot, but gotta be careful here
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #102
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't believe the poster said "irreparably cripple". That is a little dramatic. But the point is that as bad contracts expire, it would be nice not to replace with new bad contracts.

Colborne is useful player but I see no reason to sign him to a LT deal. let's see what he can prove next year.
I can agree with that. I just don't think it is out of range at all to Colborne around $3.0 m a season. He could end up earning that on a long term deal, and it likely wouldn't be a bad contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #103
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boomer & Warrener
Boomer & Warrener – Verified account ‏@BoomerAndRhett

Colborne on new contract: "We've had some talks. We're hopefully getting closer. I'm not thinking it's going to take too long." #Flames

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #104
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Joe is a very down to earth guy, My wife played basketball with his sister /sisters and I had a conversation with him. I believe he has no problem in taking a let me earn it contract and things are going to work out. I still believe he has more to show and he can be exactly what we want in him.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #105
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
Joe is a very down to earth guy, My wife played basketball with his sister /sisters and I had a conversation with him. I believe he has no problem in taking a let me earn it contract and things are going to work out. I still believe he has more to show and he can be exactly what we want in him.
I got over this feeling a few years ago.

NHL player and great guy no doubt, but I'm no longer holding my breath
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #106
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post

Well, that makes absolutely zero sense considering he's shown more every single year he's been here, including a very good year last year.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #107
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post

You got over it before he played a full season in the NHL? He's played 3 full seasons and has improved in each, unless you have absolutely ridiculous expectations for the guy there is zero reason to think he can't be a good second line winger.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #108
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
You got over it before he played a full season in the NHL? He's played 3 full seasons and has improved in each, unless you have absolutely ridiculous expectations for the guy there is zero reason to think he can't be a good second line winger.
He has certainly improved every season but if Colborne is on your 2nd line you better have an exceptional first line and very useful 3rd and 4th lines if you expect to play for the Cup. That's why its critical you not over pay for a guy like him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #109
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He has certainly improved every season but if Colborne is on your 2nd line you better have an exceptional first line and very useful 3rd and 4th lines if you expect to play for the Cup. That's why its critical you not over pay for a guy like him.
Not so sure. Money aside, look around the league and you find Colborne stacks up fine compared to contenders second line wingers.
Why it is critical you don't overpay is because you need to have players who outperform their contracts, particularly as the Flames cap up for Monahan, Gaudreau and others - given the salaries paid out on D already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #110
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
there is zero reason to think he can't be a good second line winger.
You mean besides the fact that he's pretty much been a failure whenever he's been given the opportunity to be that in the past?

Joe can be an effective player... but only if he's put in the right situation with the right people. I don't like how constraining that is but I can live with it if he's paid with his deficiencies in mind.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #111
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colborne is prime example of "the grass is greener on the other side" if I've ever seen one. It really is puzzling to me.

Maybe it stems from him being 6'5 225lbs but not being a physical, bruising, punishing power forward type and people resent him for it? I dunno.

He's had three full NHL seasons now, all with the Flames. His production by year:

Year 1 - 0.35 ppg / 14:16 TOI
Year 2 - 0.44 ppg / 15:25 TOI
Year 3 - 0.60 ppg / 15:09 TOI

So pretty good offensive development, especially while battling injuries along the way.

He's not a blazer, but his skating is fine.
His IQ is fine.
He has skill.
He can play RW, LW and even C in a pinch.
Also very good in the shoot out, IIRC.
Not a bruiser, but he is a big guy. That's a plus in my books.

If they can keep his cap it to $3 million or less I don't see why anyone wouldn't want him on their team. Many more positives than negatives in my eyes.

My only worry would be that he did put up a chunk of points in "garbage time" this last season, but that might not mean anything either.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #112
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Colborne is prime example of "the grass is greener on the other side" if I've ever seen one. It really is puzzling to me.

Maybe it stems from him being 6'5 225lbs but not being a physical, bruising, punishing power forward type and people resent him for it? I dunno.

He's had three full NHL seasons now, all with the Flames. His production by year:

Year 1 - 0.35 ppg / 14:16 TOI
Year 2 - 0.44 ppg / 15:25 TOI
Year 3 - 0.60 ppg / 15:09 TOI

So pretty good offensive development, especially while battling injuries along the way.

He's not a blazer, but his skating is fine.
His IQ is fine.
He has skill.
He can play RW, LW and even C in a pinch.
Also very good in the shoot out, IIRC.
Not a bruiser, but he is a big guy. That's a plus in my books.

If they can keep his cap it to $3 million or less I don't see why anyone wouldn't want him on their team. Many more positives than negatives in my eyes.

My only worry would be that he did put up a chunk of points in "garbage time" this last season, but that might not mean anything either.
Unless you think his late season surge is a sign of things to come, Colborne is nothing more than a depth forward who will come into next year as the team's 6th best forward (on a team with weak depth) behind Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Frolik and Bennett. Even guys like Bouma and Ferland are close to him or could push him down, which is to say nothing of Shinkaruk and Poirier pinning for spots. There is also the very good chance a UFA forward is added who is better than Colborne.

I personally think that his late season hot streak is unrepeatable and he will revert to being a 10-15 goal, 30-40 point player. I'm not saying he's trash, I'm just saying he's a 3rd line guy. He doesn't make players better, he is made better by other good players. He's not good defensively and he uses his massive frame very infrequently. I think if we sign him to $3m for 3 years or whatever his market value is, he will just end up getting pushed down the lineup as the team improves and will become part of the next generation of bad contracts for this team.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #113
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

How I see us in two years compared to 70M "template"

$7M(Gaudreau 6.75- $7M(Monahan, 6.75)- $5M(Ferland/Pribyl, 1.5M) = 4M saved
$3M(UFA, 5M)- $5M(Bennett, 5.5?)- $3M(Tkachuk, 0.825) = 0.25M over
$2M(Colborne, 2.5) -$3M(Backlund, 3.575)-$2M(Frolik, 4.3) = 3.375 over
$1M(Bouma, 2.2)- $1M(Stajan, 3.125)- $1M(Hathaway, 1.0) = 3.45 over
$.75M- $.75M (Whoever)

$7M(Gio, 6.75)-$5M(Hamilton, 5.75) = 0.5M over
$4M(Brodie, 4.65)-$3M(Andersson, 0.825) = 1.525 under
$2M-$1.5M (Whoever, should be on budget)
.75M

$5M (I have no idea)
$1M

I think were fine. Stajan stands out as the worst fit(1st line RW???). Frolik and Bouma as well but nothing to drastic. Penguins are showing how important a strong third line is. Andersson and our 1st pick this year doesn't seem like a stretch to assume they will make the team. If Janko, Poirier or Shinkaruk could fill in a top 6 spot they could save us 4M in 2017.

Cap will probably be 75 M as well. I think we'll have room to sign a solid UFA.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #114
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How long ago was it that Backlund was the CP whipping boy now? should we have dumped him when he was looking for a contract?

The value of Joe is in his next contract. BUT that's the same value that's in every single player in the leagues contract.

You can discount what Joe did in "garbage" time or you can take it as a realization of the potential that he has.

If you sell out on him and this is a realization of potential it becomes a Brad black eye. If you sign him and he plays the same as pre "garbage" time but his contract is valued approximate to this level is he a player that holds a team back on the third line? I believe not. If he signs a Potential realized contract and under performs he becomes a "anchor" contract.

It all comes down to the value of contract

Is Brad a GM that avoids risk or a GM that takes risks with rewards.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #115
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
How long ago was it that Backlund was the CP whipping boy now? should we have dumped him when he was looking for a contract?

The value of Joe is in his next contract. BUT that's the same value that's in every single player in the leagues contract.

You can discount what Joe did in "garbage" time or you can take it as a realization of the potential that he has.

If you sell out on him and this is a realization of potential it becomes a Brad black eye. If you sign him and he plays the same as pre "garbage" time but his contract is valued approximate to this level is he a player that holds a team back on the third line? I believe not. If he signs a Potential realized contract and under performs he becomes a "anchor" contract.

It all comes down to the value of contract

Is Brad a GM that avoids risk or a GM that takes risks with rewards.
Backlund is twice the player Colborne is or will be IMO. If $3.5m is good enough for Backlund, BT needs to get Colborne signed to significantly less or trade his rights. I'm so sick of meh players like Raymond, Stajan, Wideman, Smid and Bouma eating up so much cap space on this team. No need to add to that when some of these problems are finally about to disappear.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #116
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Backlund is twice the player Colborne is or will be IMO. If $3.5m is good enough for Backlund, BT needs to get Colborne signed to significantly less or trade his rights. I'm so sick of meh players like Raymond, Stajan, Wideman, Smid and Bouma eating up so much cap space on this team. No need to add to that when some of these problems are finally about to disappear.
You dont have to tell me what the value of Backlund is. I am a huge fan of Backlund and see a player that has yet to reach potential in him. But I also see a player in Colbourne that has yet to reach potential. I will be happy with a 3.25 AAV. preferably 3 yrs.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #117
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Then they better sign/trade or have developed somebody to take up the slack. The drop off after Frolik's 32 points doesn't look good. (Colborne had 44).

Ferland 18
Stajan 17
Jooris 13
Bouma 7
Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #118
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Then they better sign/trade or have developed somebody to take up the slack. The drop off after Frolik's 32 points doesn't look good. (Colborne had 44).

Ferland 18
Stajan 17
Jooris 13
Bouma 7
Isn't that pretty standard though? I thought Calgary did well having ten 30 point guys. Not many teams have that.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #119
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Isn't that pretty standard though? I thought Calgary did well having ten 30 point guys. Not many teams have that.
Yup, but 3 of the 10 were defenseman, and one was traded. So Ferland 7th among those left.

Looking back, it was exactly after Hudler was traded that Colborne's scoring took off.
Coincidence? Maybe
Old 06-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #120
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I hope Joe sticks around. He clearly wants to be here and Colborne/Backlund/Frolik is one of the best 3rd lines in the league. He's a useful player, very versatile.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote