Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2024, 01:55 PM   #21
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
We need to practice patience with Honzek.

I'm sure many viewed Zary as a disappointing pick shortly after being drafted and now look at him.
Zary had the third best D+1 year after Bennett and Baertschi (and Stoll and Mangiapane, depending on what we're counting).

I don't see why people would have considered him as a disappointing pick.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 02:03 PM   #22
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apples and oranges, but Backlund was barely over a point per game in his draft + 2 season in the WHL. Even Getzlaf was barely above a point per game in his draft + 2.

I still don't like the pick and it really seems like the Flames played it safe rather than take a home run swing (which I prefer), but if the Flames get a defensively responsible 3rd liner that might put up 15 goals and 40 points a few times, they are probably happy.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:05 PM   #23
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Funny how the scouts serm great at late round picks and pretty terrible at 1st rounders.
Really? Recently Zary and Pelletier seem like pretty good late round 1sts... what are you referring to?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:07 PM   #24
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Zary had the third best D+1 year after Bennett and Baertschi (and Stoll and Mangiapane, depending on what we're counting).

I don't see why people would have considered him as a disappointing pick.
Zary's first pro season was derailed by a preseason injury which forced him to play catchup all year long, and much like is what is happening here, many folks were quick to jump to conclusions about his future and upside.

I know fan's are impatient and want to see an immediate impact, but we are still talking about just 20ish games here after a fairly significant injury.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 02:09 PM   #25
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Perreault and Musty are looking like great prospects right now. Those were the 2 I was hoping for at the time. Still hopeful for Honzek though!
Yeah, team needed a center with high end skill over size, as soon as Yager was gone I hoped for Perreault if it had to be a winger. Honzek was a reach.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:18 PM   #26
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Really? Recently Zary and Pelletier seem like pretty good late round 1sts... what are you referring to?
It's been pretty good since they expanded the scouting staff. Way too early to tell on Honzek but looks like they hit on an NHL player on most of them.

Sean Monahan
Sam Bennett
Matthew Tkachuk
Juuso Valimaki
Jakob Pelletier
Connor Zary
Matt Coronato
Samuel Honzek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yeah, team needed a center with high end skill over size, as soon as Yager was gone I hoped for Perreault if it had to be a winger. Honzek was a reach.
Honzek wasn't really a reach where he was taken though
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:23 PM   #27
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Next Saturday night will be my first live look since he was drafted.
I'll let you all know what I think.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Last edited by blender; 02-20-2024 at 08:46 PM.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 02:25 PM   #28
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oliver Moore would have been the center that people might have preferred, and he was rumored as a top 10 pick and then fell...had a bit of a slow start but his offensive production has picked up recently.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:26 PM   #29
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think some are being a little tough on Honzek. Unless you’re reading Last Word on Sports, it’s not his “projection” that’s middle 6/3rd line, that’s more his floor. Most think he’ll be top-6 winger, but if he can play C at the next level, he may just be a steal. And just because he isn’t flashy, doesn’t mean he’s not skilled, or able to get the job done. Iginla wasn’t a flashy player, but we liked him just fine.

There’s a few players I would rather have than Honzek too, but I wouldn’t be sad if we took him. 6’4” players don’t typically skate like him, and he has a good shot, and high offensive awareness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Jesus, Honzek would be the worst case scenario in my mind.
The guy is big and can skate pretty well for his size, but he’s by no means a projected top 6 forward and likely not a flashy impact player at the NHL level just a big body who uses it to shield pucks but not a bruising forward.

Of all the lists and players available around our pick id be genuinely disappointed to use it on Honzek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
re: Perrault at 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Here’s mine:

Axel Sandin Pellikka - long shot
Matthew Wood - long shot
Colby Barlow - long shot
Ryan Leonard - long shot
Gabe Perreault
Brayden Yager
Nate Danielson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My list for the Flames.

1. Oliver Moore (not likely to be there)
2. Sandin Pellikka (not likely to be there)
3. Nate Danielson
4. Samuel Honzek
5. Tom Willander
6. Oscar Stenberg
7. Quentin Musty

Drop down and pick up another pick scenario: Kasper Halttunen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Your mock draft tool is the best available, thanks!

Just scored Danielson and Honzek in rounds 1 and 2 in my first go. Interesting that the ducks took Carlsson, the Bjs took Michkov, and Fantili fell to 4th.

Just some highlights from the '23 draft thread. Honzek was not on many people's radar: Sandman and Jiri were notable boosters, but they had other preferences listed above him for our pick. That said, a lot of the other guys people were focusing in on are having poor D+1 seasons as well; I myself boosted Sale like 8 separate times and he has like ~ 0.5 ppg in the ohl this season lol.

Reading through some of that, it becomes pretty apparent that Sandman is bang on the money with his assessments. Someone should offer them a job.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 02:54 PM   #30
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Just some highlights from the '23 draft thread. Honzek was not on many people's radar: Sandman and Jiri were notable boosters, but they had other preferences listed above him for our pick. That said, a lot of the other guys people were focusing in on are having poor D+1 seasons as well; I myself boosted Sale like 8 separate times and he has like ~ 0.5 ppg in the ohl this season lol.

Reading through some of that, it becomes pretty apparent that Sandman is bang on the money with his assessments. Someone should offer them a job.
I didn't think Perreault would be there (which is why i didn't list him at all at the time), was surprised he dropped so far. He's been really good there but he's still a boom/bust guy.
I was somewhat in love w/ Moore's skating, but at times questions about his offense translating still remain. I think at this stage I would say him and Honzek are still about the same in terms of overall quality of prospect.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:57 PM   #31
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

They projected him to be a Rantanen like player? How is tracking in that regard?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:05 PM   #32
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be a sublime twist of fate if he produced like Rantanen at the NHL level.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:08 PM   #33
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.06 PPG 1.24 PPG in the playoffs for a 10th overall pick is something.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:12 PM   #34
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Baertschi was exactly 2 points per game in his D+1 year. Honzek is 1 point per game. I maintain that Beartschi was a good pick, but things went south during development.

Phillips was a 6th round pick. I believe he was also an over-ager.
The "Things turned South" 's name was Patrick Seiloff.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:17 PM   #35
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Saturday night will be my first live look since he was drafted.
I'll let you all know what I think.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Paper tickets...
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:25 PM   #36
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Paper tickets...
Lol, I know.
We still get the whole book of seasons tickets at the start of the season.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:51 PM   #37
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can Honzek play in the A next year?
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:57 PM   #38
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too early to make declarations any which way, but I felt like since the draft that Conroy and Co were strangely bullish and set on this kid even though there were a lot of strong talents to pick from at their position.

I think they might've had some tunnel vision and while it may not come back to bite them necessarily, there's a good chance they passed up a better NHLer that was an obvious choice even then. i.e. Perreault

Time will tell. I just don't like the limited sample size of "elite" play they had to go off of in his draft year.

Hopefully this is the Flames' Gabriel Landeskog and we're eating crow in a couple years.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:57 PM   #39
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Honzek was a reach.
Disagree. Honzek was 17 on Bob Mckenzie's final list. There was a lot of talk that St. Louis would have taken Honzek if Dvorsky was gone.

For those concerned about Honzek not playing center, he took some faceoffs and played center at times in the game I watched in December. To me it was like when Monahan and Lindholm were on a line together and depending on what side the faceoff was on, one or the other took it. I'm not worried about Honzek being on Lipinski's wing as Lipinski is more defensively responsible and better at faceoffs currently. Plenty of opportunity for Honzek to get time at center. Honzek controlled that game every time he touched the ice.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 04:05 PM   #40
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to really gauge production when guys are in and out of the lineup for injury.

Not a great sign but I wouldn't say it's the end of the world for him.

Hopefully they can have a good long playoff run and he can really help drive the team.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honzek