Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #61
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew24 View Post
Discogs for the rare stuff that you need and don't mind spending lots of money on.
Thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like a "buyer beware" situation - any experiences ordering from there?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #62
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Only great ones. I've ordered from 3 different sellers. All super easy transactions. Eventually I'll probably make an account and sell the records I've outgrown.
drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #63
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Discogs for the rare stuff that you need and don't mind spending lots of money on.

I got a pair of HD 650s. Just waiting on my Schiit Valhalla 2 amp to ship so I can use them on my turntable.
I ordered the new Magni/Modi 2 Uber "Schitt Stack". I can't wait for them to come.

I picked up the HD 598s during the Black Friday sale. They've made me a Sennheiser fan and I'd like to upgrade to the 650s eventually.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #64
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got the Tool Lateralus vinyl from amazon. Couldn't be more excited to play it but what a letdown. Crack, pops, and skips all the way through. It's a "picture" vinyl which I'm assuming has something to do with it.

Think I'm going to send it back but has anyone else had this experience? Would cleaning the vinyl help?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #65
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Just got the Tool Lateralus vinyl from amazon. Couldn't be more excited to play it but what a letdown. Crack, pops, and skips all the way through. It's a "picture" vinyl which I'm assuming has something to do with it.

Think I'm going to send it back but has anyone else had this experience? Would cleaning the vinyl help?
Picture discs are well known for their poor sound quality. Keep it however as it's pretty awesome and find a regular vinyl copy.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #66
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Picture discs are well known for their poor sound quality. Keep it however as it's pretty awesome and find a regular vinyl copy.
Yeah it's worth it even if just as a novelty - going to exchange for another copy and see if I just got an exceptionally poor one. I can't even listen to Schism on this because it skips around so much. I need my Schism dammit!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #67
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like a "buyer beware" situation - any experiences ordering from there?
Nothing but great experiences with Discogs. Both as a buyer and as a seller. Highly recommended, just try to stick to sellers with good feedback and you should be fine.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #68
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I sold my turntable and LP records about 7 years too early. I had close to 350 LPs and record covers in mint condition and a top of the line Dual turntable. Someone offered me $150 and I was happy to get it.

Now that LP records and turntables are on the rise I curse the day I sold it. Could have made alot more money it todays market
Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #69
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Around $400 can get you Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Music Hall MMF 2.2, or Rega RP1. When I was looking about 18 months ago those were the 3 that always came up.
Ive been thinking about a turntable for a while now and these are the 3 brands that I keep hearing about. Are there any dealers in town that carry Music Hall or Pro-ject? I see that Sounds of Music has Rega.

For those in the know, is there a huge difference between the sound quality of these 3? I'm looking for something that is on the warmer side of things in terms of sound.

Also, is there a big difference between a $400 turntable and say, a $750-1000 one? It seems all of them have higher end versions, but I have no idea if the price jump is worth it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #70
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Ive been thinking about a turntable for a while now and these are the 3 brands that I keep hearing about. Are there any dealers in town that carry Music Hall or Pro-ject? I see that Sounds of Music has Rega.
These are the authorized Pro-Ject dealers in town.

Loyalty Sound

910 – 12th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2R 0J4
Tel : (403) 244-8838

The Audio Spot

632 – 16th Avenue NW
Calgary, AB T2M 0J7
Tel : (403) 235-0858

The Inner Sleeve

117, 3411 - 20th Street SW
Calgary, AB T2T 4Z6
Tel :#(403) 242-9899

Can't answer your other questions.
drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drew24 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #71
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

For those in the know, is there a huge difference between the sound quality of these 3? I'm looking for something that is on the warmer side of things in terms of sound.

Also, is there a big difference between a $400 turntable and say, a $750-1000 one? It seems all of them have higher end versions, but I have no idea if the price jump is worth it.
The Audio Room sells Music Hall turntables.

http://www.theaudioroom.ca/contact/

I have a Music Hall MMF 5.1. It has a higher quality cartridge and dual plinth for better vibration reduction. But the 2.2 is highly rated and I don't think you'd regret buying it over a higher end model.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #72
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Visions sells the Music Hall tables.

Sound quality is a subjective matter and not everyone has the same tastes in music. All three tables will provide satisfactory performance but only your ear will tell you which table you prefer. In an effort to keep the audio signal as pure as possible from the turntable to the amp, the more expensive models will have better motors, better platters, better plinths, etc. Most of us likely don't have the listening space properly designed to see the improvements in the higher-end turntables anyway. Production runs are not like they used to be in the 70s and 80s when everyone had a record player so turntables are expensive.

Other factors play into the sound you hear from a turntable: phono stage, stylus/cartridge, tonearm, speakers, and even the platform your table rests on to name a few of the important factors.

I cannot speak for the turntables you are interested in as I haven't owned any. If you search the Audiokarma dot org forums you will find a wealth of information on any of the models that you are researching.

I would suggest Audio-Technica (AT-LP120) as well. They have attempted to copy the vintage Technics SL1200 I think. The table gets good reviews. It is not a manual table, though, and it seems that you are interested in manual?

Personally, for the money you are looking to spend, I'd also consider older tables. You can spend $400 on a new, bottom-of-the-line table or you can spend $400 on a vintage top-of-the-line. I like JVC direct-drive with quartz lock. Turntables are actually quite simple mechanical devices and can last a long time.

But, looking for quality used takes time, so go for new now and, perhaps, "upgrade" to a TOTL vintage like a Pioneer PL-71 or Technics SL1200 Mk II if you ever come across one of them. Warning: looking for, and acquiring, vintage gear can become addicting and expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #73
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read an article a week or two ago stating vinyl sales were way up this past year. The vinyl resurgence is on for sure.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #74
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Personally, for the money you are looking to spend, I'd also consider older tables. You can spend $400 on a new, bottom-of-the-line table or you can spend $400 on a vintage top-of-the-line. I like JVC direct-drive with quartz lock. Turntables are actually quite simple mechanical devices and can last a long time.

But, looking for quality used takes time, so go for new now and, perhaps, "upgrade" to a TOTL vintage like a Pioneer PL-71 or Technics SL1200 Mk II if you ever come across one of them. Warning: looking for, and acquiring, vintage gear can become addicting and expensive.
Thanks for the insight Baron, much appreciated.

That Audio-Technica turntable you mentioned is on the list as well for sure. At the end of the day, my current setup won't be anything too high end component wise, so it probably doesn't make sense to go to crazy on a $1K+ turntable.

I realize that I probably need to get a pre-amp and probably a receiver/amp as well). Anything of quality seems to be into the thousands of dollars new, so buying vintage older stuff definitely sounds appealing. But I like the idea of buying better-quality vintage gear, to be honest I'm not really sure what to look for to be able to tell whether something is worth it, or what possible issues it might have. You do see some nice looking vintage Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz etc on kijiji stuff though.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #75
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

That Audio-Technica turntable you mentioned is on the list as well for sure. At the end of the day, my current setup won't be anything too high end component wise, so it probably doesn't make sense to go to crazy on a $1K+ turntable.

I realize that I probably need to get a pre-amp and probably a receiver/amp as well). Anything of quality seems to be into the thousands of dollars new, so buying vintage older stuff definitely sounds appealing. But I like the idea of buying better-quality vintage gear, to be honest I'm not really sure what to look for to be able to tell whether something is worth it, or what possible issues it might have. You do see some nice looking vintage Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz etc on kijiji stuff though.
You don't have to spend a lot for new gear. I would check out the pre-amp that Drew mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2

Combine that with some powered monitors like the Audioengine A5+ and you'll be set for under a grand. Although vintage is cool too.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #76
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
You don't have to spend a lot for new gear. I would check out the pre-amp that Drew mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2

Combine that with some powered monitors like the Audioengine A5+ and you'll be set for under a grand. Although vintage is cool too.
Funny, the A5's is exactly what I have.

Thanks for the pre-amp suggestion, I'll check that out. Part of me wants to just do a turntable - preamp - speaker setup...and the upselling monster in me wants to do a full on component setup.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #77
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Table 5, the vintage receivers/integrated amps/pre-amps will have a phono stage so there is no need to buy a separate phono stage. The Sansuis and the Marantzes of the day command premium prices, mainly for their reputation. Some equipment, such as Hitachi, Sanyo, Realistic (yes! Realistic) and Mitsubishi is very good and are under the radar so you can find some deals. Don't forget about the old Yamahas, too. They have very good phono stages. Interesting to note that Yamaha has quietly returned to two-channel stereo with integrated amps. They don't look as nice as their vintage rigs, though.

If you don't listen to the radio, then a receiver is kind of pointless and I'd look for an integrated amp. Mind you, the old receivers do look good when powered up, especially the early 70s Pioneers and Marantzes with their blue lighting. I currently use a Pioneer SX-680 receiver in my office. It is "only" 30W but that is more than sufficient.

The vintage equipment was meant to be repaired. Usually the electrolytic capacitors will need to be replaced. The good news is the parts are cheap. You can hire a guy to do it or DIY if you're comfortable reading schematics and using a soldering iron. Often, though, all you really need to do is spray some DeOxit into the potentiometers/switches, etc and maybe clean the dust out of the inside and you are set. If you do listen to the radio, and are interested in a receiver, then the tuning mechanism will probably need to be calibrated. That is a bit more work.

Audio Spot has a good selection of used equipment that has been serviced. But, you pay for that and you also get a 30-day warranty.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #78
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've been putting together some budget home HiFi from thrifting and hand me downs.

I currently have a set of large Sansui SF-X5 3-way speakers (sadly, made in Canada and not in Japan) powered by an Aiwa MX-70 integrated amplifier. Also connected is an Akai GX-F31 cassette deck.

I'm using a modern Sony PS-LX300 USB turntable from Futureshop but I am looking for a Technics 1200 style turntable now (But real ones are too expensive and may need service from age). Maybe the Audio Technica LP120? Any ideas? I have a JVC AL-A151 that is broken. Dead motor or transformer. Is this worth fixing?

I'd also like a vintage amp/receiver because I remember being entranced by the VU meters on my grandpa's stereo. It's kind of a silly reason to want a vintage amp for the visuals and not the audio but it is what it is.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-19-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #79
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm using a modern Sony PS-LX300 USB turntable from Futureshop but I am looking for a Technics 1200 style turntable now (But real ones are too expensive and may need service from age). Maybe the Audio Technica LP120? Any ideas? I have a JVC AL-A151 that is broken. Dead motor or transformer. Is this worth fixing?
There was a Technics SL 1600 F/S on Kijiji; it might still be there. He wants too much money, of course but probably not much more than a new entry level table. It needs a cartridge but you can get an AT95E for $50.00. I wouldn't bother fixing the JVC.

The AT LP120 is an adequate entry level turntable. However, its wow and flutter spec is not very good for a direct drive turntable and it's even worse than many decent belt driven turntables. It also doesn't have damping on the plinth and platter. If it breaks, there are no parts for it. Like everything else in today's electronics market, they are made to be binned if they break down. That being said, you can do worse for entry level. The AT LP120 generates a lot of discussion on the internet. There is a large camp that loves it and there is a large camp that hates it. My guess, though, is that most people who hate it haven't listened to it. I think it can be improved with a new platter mat and, most importantly, it won't damage your records if set up correctly. Also, don't use the crappy built-in phono stage. Line out directly to the phono stage in the amp.

There are parts everywhere for the Technics tables. Besides, while it traces its lineage back to the late 70s, you could still buy new, old stock a few years ago. So, some aren't that old.

It should be noted that the drive system on the Technics SL series was also used in cutting lathes due to the utmost accuracy required. I would say their drive system was better than any of the so-called higher end tables of the era and of the modern higher end tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'd also like a vintage amp/receiver because I remember being entranced by the VU meters on my grandpa's stereo. It's kind of a silly reason to want a vintage amp for the visuals and not the audio but it is what it is.
The coolness factor is important.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #80
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
The AT LP120 is an adequate entry level turntable. However, its wow and flutter spec is not very good for a direct drive turntable and it's even worse than many decent belt driven turntables. It also doesn't have damping on the plinth and platter. If it breaks, there are no parts for it. Like everything else in today's electronics market, they are made to be binned if they break down. That being said, you can do worse for entry level. The AT LP120 generates a lot of discussion on the internet. There is a large camp that loves it and there is a large camp that hates it. My guess, though, is that most people who hate it haven't listened to it. I think it can be improved with a new platter mat and, most importantly, it won't damage your records if set up correctly. Also, don't use the crappy built-in phono stage. Line out directly to the phono stage in the amp.

There are parts everywhere for the Technics tables. Besides, while it traces its lineage back to the late 70s, you could still buy new, old stock a few years ago. So, some aren't that old.

It should be noted that the drive system on the Technics SL series was also used in cutting lathes due to the utmost accuracy required. I would say their drive system was better than any of the so-called higher end tables of the era and of the modern higher end tables.
Well, I just spent an all nighter looking at my options.

The Technics prices are all ridiculous and many of them on Kijiji etc. require servicing or something else is wrong. I've looked at the Super OEMs but I don't like the bubbly 2000s look of them as I prefer the 1200 look.

The AT LP120 is about $400 Canadian as are the other Hanpin variants like the Reloops and honestly, that price point is still a bit off-putting to me. I have never heard a proper turntable that has been calibrated, serviced, and has good wow and flutter specs, etc. let alone a decent audiophile system so I have no idea if it's worth spending upwards of $600-$900 for a Technics 1200 or a modern Hanpin variant/evolution (or some would say knock off) like the Reloop 8000 or Pioneer PLX-1000. Is it really worth it? I've never had audiophile gear to compare so the specs aren't something I can really imagine right now.

One feature I do appreciate on those is the +/- 50% pitch (tempo) control. I am not into DJing and don't need the majority of DJ features but a 20-50% tempo control and direct-drive turntable seems to be a key feature I seem to really want. I love slowing down records to create an all-new sound.

This is all getting even more complicated. Sigh.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-20-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote