Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #61
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Detroit has so little cap space they may lose one of their younger guys to waivers if they don't dump cap space soon.

Flames may be able to leverage that to get a better return on Backlund.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #62
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
So wait, the PMO scandal and the Baertschi threads aren't the most embarrassing threads for Rerun this week?

Yikes.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #63
May 25, 1989
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Did anyone mention that Backlund would look good in Detroit? 😁
May 25, 1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #64
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad Idea.

Someone is lined up to rake the Flames over the coals
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #65
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Moving Backlund is likely a step in the wrong direction being that he is smart and skilled and young. But until a trade is made, no judgement can be made, really.

I think he has all the tools, but his line mates, lack of power play time, and limited ice in general have lowered his stock and counting stats.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #66
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though they are Eklund Rumours, One could easily piece together a deal involving Gardiner for Backlund. There would be extra parts in the deal but it makes sense. With Bolland out and a couple AHL'ers in their Line up, Toronto could certainly use Backlund.

Outside of that, I haven't followed all the teams closely so I'm not too sure who needs a #2-3 center. Detroit just called up Nyquist so I don't really see them knocking on Calgary's door. Since they have probably the deepest center depth I know of.

Jankrok, Helm, Emmerton, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist. There's a couple more I am missing but yeah, Detroit doesn't need Backlund any time soon.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #67
mustache ride
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Another example of this organizations inability to draft and develop players properly. So after Backlund goes then i guess its Baertschi's turn. Then maybe we can run Monahan out of town.
mustache ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #68
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
I'm reminded of Kyle Turris. I think Backlund will do well once he's moved. Hope Colbourne or Jankowski are able to justify this done the road but I don't see Colbourne outperforming Backlund either now or long-term.
Kyle Turris was a 3rd overall pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I must have missed this rerun comment. Please direct me someone.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...postcount=2918

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...postcount=2922

Hilarity ensued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache ride View Post
Another example of this organizations inability to draft and develop players properly. So after Backlund goes then i guess its Baertschi's turn. Then maybe we can run Monahan out of town.
You realize that Backlund was a Sutter pick, right?

And while we're on the subject, a couple of players that went after Backlund in that draft:

- P.K. Subban went 43rd overall in the 2nd round
- T.J. Galiardi (moot point) went 55th overall in the 2nd round
- Jamie Benn went 129th overall in the 5th round.

Last edited by Stealth22; 11-22-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #69
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Makes sense - I can see Backlund being traded to a team that needs cap relief in exchange for an (expensive) top-6 forward. For example, if St Louis wants to make space to go after Miller, Backlund for one of their "expensive" forwards would make sense (with prospects or picks added as needed)
That does make sense for for St Louis. Doesn't make a bit of sense for Calgary though. So...probably will happen.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #70
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Then maybe we can run Monahan out of town.
Good. That tool hasn't lived up to his potential.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #71
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I think if we trade him we will lose the trade.

The only way it would be acceptable is if we receive a decent young D-man back. Say like trading him to Buffalo for one of their many good D prospects.

I don't see why they don't try him out as a winger before dealing him.

The love for this guy just won't stop. I like him, I really do but I care more about the Flames than any player. Backlund isn't doing anything to prove he belongs. He's been uninspired and hasn't really worked hard and even if he has shown a glimpse of being an energy player, he hasn't shown the tallent.

Again, the Flames haven't said that they're giving him away to any interested team. They are saying he's on the block and that may just be to guage his value from other teams or it might even be to start a fire under his butt.

It seems like some people fall in love with the players on this team and wouldn't give them up for anything. I know it's a bit of an extreme but it seems like everyone on here has an unconditional love for a few player son this team and wouldn't trade them for anything. At first people thought we'd have to give up a late round pick to get rid of Stajan and now people don't want to trade him at the deadline.

This team isn't good, look at the standings. Most of the players on this team aren't good, their stats are a good indication. Backlund has been very underwhelming this far in his career. He was drafted to be a tallented player and he hasn't come through so it's time to move him if a reasonable offer is made. Some are going to say that we should keep him as a bottom 6 guy but I honestly dont' think he's physical enough to be an effective bottom 6 guy and we have enough guys in our system that can be bottom 6 guys.

For his sake and the sake of the team, I think it's the right move to trade him (depending on what we get back of course).
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #72
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I wonder if a team like the Leafs are looking for centre depth at the moment. Bolland and Bozak are both out right now so they've got Trevor Smith, Peter Holland and Jarred Smithson slotted down as 2, 3, and 4.
Bozak is back tomorrow night.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #73
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, is it draft? Or develop? Because if it's draft then you're suggesting they drafted the wrong guy and he would've never turned out. If it's develop then you're suggesting they drafting the right player but then failed to have him reach his potential.

This is much more likely an example of Backlund not being that good, but he's still a regular NHLer, so for a late 1st round pick that's still pretty good in the draft/develop department.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #74
mustache ride
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Wait, is it draft? Or develop? Because if it's draft then you're suggesting they drafted the wrong guy and he would've never turned out. If it's develop then you're suggesting they drafting the right player but then failed to have him reach his potential.
One the other or both. This is twenty years of failure to produce young players. It's fine to blame the individual players but when the problem is this pronounced the organization has to take a look at itself.
mustache ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #75
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sort of a shame really, as the day Backlund is traded is the day that we're going to have to anoint the Sutter era of drafting a complete and utter failure. I guess we'll still have Brodie, but he never had the same expectations coming in as Backlund. Assumed he would be our Anze Kopitar; and while his defensive skills might be similar, offensively he is unfortunately not in the same universe as Kopitar.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #76
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Kicking tires is a strange English idiom that makes me scratch my head
When a person is interested in a car they might rock the tires with their foot to check bearing/alignment. Hence kicking the tires means a little more than mild interest but not yet any commitment.
No stranger than saying scratch your head to indicate puzzlement.

Backlund could flourish with a change of scenery, and potential is still part of his value.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #77
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I love how many of these replies are writing about Backlund in the past tense already. Like he passed away at 4:45 when this thread was created.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #78
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope we see a bit of Backlund on Colborne's wing tonight. As much as I like Bouma, putting Backlund in a position to succeed will benefit both Backs and the Flames, should they choose to trade him.

Our bottom 6 makes more sense to me like this:

Backlund - Colborne - D Jones
Bouma - B Jones - McGrattan
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #79
lifetimefan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Minor deals for bottom 6 pluggers aside, I have no faith in Feaster to avoid getting fleeced in a trade.
lifetimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifetimefan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #80
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
One the other or both. This is twenty years of failure to produce young players. It's fine to blame the individual players but when the problem is this pronounced the organization has to take a look at itself.
For taking a look at itself, does it count if it hires a new GM, new AGM, new President, new scouts, a new coach, new manager to over see the farm, and a new coach on the farm?
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post: