Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #681
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Well he signed an executive order on the ACA which basicly can extend the hardship exemption to everyone meaning that their is no longer a mandate to purchase health insurance.

The executive order could also be interpreted to eliminate Obama requirements requiring that contraceptives be provided in all plans without a copayment

Without the mandate Health Insurance premiums will rise for anyone not insured by Medicaid or through their jobs. And costs for contraception went up for everyone so that will lead to additional pregnancies in lower income populations.

So yes on day 1 he has done that. It's impressive he was able to do it so quickly.
And for a ton of small business owners, that cost will also jump up. Our costs for a 15 person business dropped about 50% once the ACA went into effect (they've gone back up since then, but they're still lower than pre-ACA). I can only imagine what our insurance is going to jump up to next year.

Millions of Americans are completely screwed by repealing the ACA, but not a one of them cares because it was Obama's legacy and they just can't wait to dismantle all of that.

Quote:
I do think the media is continuing to fail at their coverage.

They should only ask policy related questions that specifically ask how it will affect average Americans. Informing people of the consequences of Trumps and Congresses actions is the only way to hold them to account.

The bickering over truth while it should be important isn't important with Trump. Maybe just run a fact check side bar. Or a CNN type scrawl at the bottom of the screen
The problem is that for every fact-check, every actual reality put forward to the American people, most of Trump's voters just ignore it, because Trump said it was fake, and Kellyanne Conway says there are "alternate facts" that they should believe instead, etc.

It comes right back to the question of how do you deal with people who refuse to accept fact in the face of overwhelming evidence? If someone will only believe what Trump tells them is true, no amount of fact-checking from the press is going to convince them otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I still think some of what he says (if you can positively read between the lines) is worthwhile and could actually "Make America Great Again." But I gather most people (here, there and everywhere) see the negative buffoonery he's doing and just assume the worst. I guess I can't blame them, but it's such a poor outlook to have on a President in his 4th day of office.

Until something actually happens, I will reserve judgement. I don't care about American home ownership as I believe too many own homes as it is. I do think some of the Obamacare copay stuff is bad but that's just my Canadian bleeding-heart Liberalness.
1) What has he said "between the lines" that you believe is actually attainable? What has he said that will actually help the base that voted him into office, and not just his fellow millionaire/billionaires?

2) The problem with the homeownership issue is that small things like that can help people buy homes, because in all too many places, rents are astronomically high, so owning a home is a better option in some cities, but Trump has just made that possibility much harder to attain for exactly the type of people who voted for him.

3) Trump has a huge base that currently benefits from the ACA, and he's going to crush the ACA and leave many of them without care.

So far the only thing he's done that I agree with in any form is ending the TPP, but as others have mentioned, that was likely dead in the water anyway. Otherwise, between his executive orders and his cabinet appointments, he's actually been far worse than I expected on November 9th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Devil's advocate.... I wonder if (hope that?) this will truly turn out good in the end. Instead of just trusting what is being said and reporting on it as if it is fact, journalists/reporters will now have to dig for the truth... truly work for what the truth really is.
I think this is actually a good point. The next four years look to be pretty awful, but there are a few silver linings, including this point about journalism possibly making a comeback to push against his lies.

There's also the fact that he may have just pushed a button in a lot of younger people--women especially--that will push them to farther push the envelope in politics. It will push more women to run for office, it will push younger generations to have a stronger voice in the conversation politically. It can turn some of these people into activists, and that can't be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Excellent point. But it worked on over half* of American electors.
But it really didn't, it worked on a minority of American voters country-wide, and even in the swing states that he won, he eeked out a victory on a tiny number of votes (80 thousand votes, spread out over four states in which over 20 million people voted).

If the electoral college wasn't a winner-take-all for each state, Trump wouldn't have won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Mortgage insurance is not a human right, he just reversed an Obama order to lower it. Its very similar to CMHC increasing mortgage insurance.
It absolutely is not a human right, but Trump ran on a platform of getting things back to when America was "great," when people owned homes and had jobs. He just made it harder for the people who voted for him to own homes. It goes distinctly against what he promised those people to ensure their vote.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #682
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't believe they have the time to do both?

So if your goal is to inform the public and you have one question to you ask about the crowd size at the inauguration or do you ask how he plans to deal with x as a result of an executive order. Now if there are demonstrable lies about policy challenge away but the administration lying about the mundane has become a distraction to the damage that executive orders and the legislation congress is coming up with will cause.
They can do both. If they can't do both, they should probably look into another line of work.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #683
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
They can do both. If they can't do both, they should probably look into another line of work.
Maybe a better way to phrase it is the public is not intelligent enough to follow two stories at once. So if lies about inauguration crowds is the headline for the week everything else is ignored.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #684
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I find your sexually charged, misogynist allegory to describe your point quite offensive. Why can't arguments on your side be fact based?
Considering your most recent trolling attempt, there is so much irony in this pitiful attempt to fingerwag the Senator, that you should be able to start a foundry any minute now.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #685
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Considering your most recent trolling attempt, there is so much irony in this pitiful attempt to fingerwag the Senator, that you should be able to start a foundry any minute now.
While I agree with your point, "####" is such a dumb word that it makes it hard to take any argument made by a person who uses it seriously.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #686
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
While I agree with your point, "####" is such a dumb word that it makes it hard to take any argument made by a person who uses it seriously.
I agree in a way, but the interesting thing in this election cycle is how both sides have co-opted each other's insults. "Snowflake", "Triggered" "####" "Nasty Woman", "Deplorable", "Safe Space", etc. If you view it in that context it makes much more sense.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #687
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe a better way to phrase it is the public is not intelligent enough to follow two stories at once. So if lies about inauguration crowds is the headline for the week everything else is ignored.
I sure hope you're lumping yourself in that club.

The public is smart enough, they've just tuned out the media because reporters are useless at their jobs. The people have a desire to understand what is going on, but the reporters are too busy trying to be TV stars rather than doing investigative journalism an exposing the facts behind issues. Hence all the bull#### about Clinton's emails and not a damn word on Trump and his connection to the Russians until after the election, and still not a peep on Trump's taxes. Great job media. Crack job in journalism and digging deep.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #688
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Interesting, the Washington Post is coming out with an extension that will fact check Trump's tweets.

Quote:
We made a tool that slips a bit more context into Trump's tweets. It's still in the early stages, but our goal is to provide additional context where needed for Trump's tweets moving forward (and a few golden oldies).
Quote:
Sometimes, we just add more context, like when Trump announced his pick of Rex Tillerson to serve as secretary of state. Curious for more info? It's right there in the tweet now.

It takes a little while for the extension to update, so we'll try to stay up to speed on fact-checking what Trump is tweeting, but it may take a few minutes. This is a work in progress, so don't hesitate to offer feedback and thoughts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fde5517ad60b
Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #689
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Everything is ratings now. If the reporters aren't bringing in the ratings they don't have jobs. This part does kind of stem from the public being more interested in fluff like the latest Kim Kardashian/Kanye West footage. Who I don't blame is the reporters themselves, I blame the environment they have to work in.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #690
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
I agree in a way, but the interesting thing in this election cycle is how both sides have co-opted each other's insults. "Snowflake", "Triggered" "####" "Nasty Woman", "Deplorable", "Safe Space", etc. If you view it in that context it makes much more sense.
Pretty much what Roast Beef says. While I think the word is dumb as well, I'm directing almost always at the people who used it first. And as I said, it turns out most of their insults are simply projections of their own insecurities and issues. Rubio though is closer to being the definition of the word, he keeps letting Trump humiliate him and he keeps coming back for more. But at least Rubio being spineless allows for things like this to happen.

Quote:
Joe PerticoneVerified account ‏@JoePerticone 6h6 hours ago
Someone is holding a human spine next to Marco Rubio right now

https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/sta...56340941897728
Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #691
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I sure hope you're lumping yourself in that club.

The public is smart enough, they've just tuned out the media because reporters are useless at their jobs. The people have a desire to understand what is going on, but the reporters are too busy trying to be TV stars rather than doing investigative journalism an exposing the facts behind issues. Hence all the bull#### about Clinton's emails and not a damn word on Trump and his connection to the Russians until after the election, and still not a peep on Trump's taxes. Great job media. Crack job in journalism and digging deep.
Yes I find myself easily distracted by what's happening in the moment. Your post above is part of my point. The shiny bauble of the trump ##### tape was a distraction long after it had ran its course. Same with Trump racism. Hillary emails. I'm working on not following the headlines and instead reading about what Trump isn't talking about.

So the media needs to focus on a limited number of important things and ignore the rest of the lies. Focus on what is Trump doing that affects real people.

So that right now is ACA, abortion access, and Trump /Russia/conflict of interest /tax returns.

It is not how many people attended his inauguration no matter how false the things he says about it are. The media needs to point out the truth but the truth needs to be relavent to real people's lives. There is too much crap coming out from trump to be kept track of. It needs to be curated and distilled to the life changing #### ups that are occurring.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #692
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #693
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
It goes distinctly against what he promised those people to ensure their vote.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait one second. You mean to tell me that HE LIED?!?!

Last edited by chemgear; 01-23-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #694
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait one second. You mean to tell me that HE LIED?!?!
I believe that is now an alternative fact.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #695
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supposed to be advancing Keystone today. Gonna drive the protestors bananas!
Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #696
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
It will be interesting to see what he does at the boarder as it will be a sign that his rip up Nafta is about 1st world protectionism as opposed to general protectionism. If it's first world protectionism Canada will actually prosper under a Trump government.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #697
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Multiple pipelines under construction at once might help spread the professional protesters out a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #698
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love short term solutions for long term problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #699
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love short term solutions for long term problems.
Trump supporters and Republicans in general don't think in long term problems or solutions.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #700
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Trump supporters and Republicans in general don't think in long term problems or solutions.
Not true!

They often think very long into the past to "solve" today's problems.

"If it's good enough for slave owners, it's good enough for me!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers