Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #421
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Gandalf!
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #422
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

No explanation needed.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #423
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No explanation needed.

Obama should have grabbed Donald's hand.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #424
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I don't understand the protestors message. Are their voices not being heard?
Listen a little closer and maybe you'll understand. But judging from your posts on this issue, it seems you don't want to understand rather just ask silly questions you already know the answer to.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #425
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
This is just comedy. Spicer had a 5.5 minute statement, 4.5 minutes of which was spent whining and lying about the press and the inauguration crowd size, and then he spent about a minute stuttering his way through the actual business of giving updates about the President's activities:

Feel the anger! What a ridiculous presentation. I noticed too that we was clearly reading the diatribe against the media but gave the general updates without looking at notes. I got the impression he had been reading the first part from a hand scribbled note by the Donald himself.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #426
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I once again see those laughably tiny hands, all I can think is every visiting foreign dignitary is doing it wrong if they don't give Trump a pair of children's sized gloves as a gift. Surely that has so much to do with why he's so ridiculously insecure.

Oh and that Spicer presser was a pretty good omen the media will be straight up banned from the White House at some point. Well other than Breitbart, OANN, and the other sycophants. I don't even think I can add FOX to that list either, other than Hannity I suspect they aren't going to go that easy on him. I also hope the media buries Spicer's tantrum well below coverage of the women's march, since that is clearly what they are hoping to knock from the front pages. Don't fall for it media.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 01-21-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #427
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the way, here's the entire parade route yesterday to show how barren it really was. S! A! D!

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/statu...18057012756481
Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #428
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Obama should have grabbed Donald's hand.
He probably did but then let go when he thought it was Barrons hand he got by mistake.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #429
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No explanation needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As I once again see those laughably tiny hands, all I can think is every visiting foreign dignitary is doing it wrong if they don't give Trump a pair of children's sized gloves as a gift. Surely that has so much to do with why he's so ridiculously insecure.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #430
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a little bit happy to see the media for the most part are rolling with variations of "Spicer attacks press for accurately reporting crowd size", or "Spicer rips media, but facts contradict him". Keep applying the heat and they will crack eventually, or they'll have to go full tyrant which will result in massive electoral blowback in 2018.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #431
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I am a little bit happy to see the media for the most part are rolling with variations of "Spicer attacks press for accurately reporting crowd size", or "Spicer rips media, but facts contradict him". Keep applying the heat and they will crack eventually, or they'll have to go full tyrant which will result in massive electoral blowback in 2018.
I also like CNN's decision to not air the press conference live, but simply report on it after the fact (I wasn't watching CNN at the time but I've heard this is the approach they took). If the press secretary is going to consistently use his platform to spout lies, then it's totally within the media's right to deny him the use of live coverage and instead report on it later as the white house telling a lie. I hope that this catches on and the media use this approach consistently.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #432
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is part of their disastrous framing of things contributing to the air of equivalency.

Well, I get the reason why Republics might refer to it using the divisive "Obamacare" label, but why is media doing it and not using the proper term? I regularly see CBC and Canadian news orgs correcting misinformation if guests use inaccurate terminology.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #433
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Well, I get the reason why Republics might refer to it using the divisive "Obamacare" label, but why is media doing it and not using the proper term? I regularly see CBC and Canadian news orgs correcting misinformation if guests use inaccurate terminology.
lagging standards of journalism;interference from corporate minded editors;being lazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #434
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #435
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bet this was the most watched if you consider world-wide though.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #436
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I bet this was the most watched if you consider world-wide though.
Doubt it.

7 million fewer americans watched than watched obama's.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #437
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
They could repeal Obamacare and introduce the exact same thing and many Americans will call them heros.
Yeah, but would you rather have Obamacare or TRUMPaid?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #438
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

I was gone all day today, but there are quite a few things I want to touch on so I apologize in advance for this massive post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
The thing that all these people seem to have in common is lack of education. They seem to be missing even the most basic reasoning skills so changing their mind is nearly impossible. Quality of education should be one of the main issues we fight for because if we're all dumb then it's hopeless.
Meanwhile, Trump has a woman heading the Department of Education a person who believes we have no responsibility to ensure that citizens are even literate, let alone properly educated. DeVos might actually be the most terrifying of all of Trump's appointments, and he has a lot of awful ones. I have quite a few friends from Michigan, where the DeVos family is a big deal, and every single one of them has been ranting against her since the initial announcement was made. She is an absolutely atrocious pick for education; I'm really desperately hoping that she doesn't get confirmed. I can handle the other picks, but she's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I think they might have seen it coming. I doubt they threw a dart at a calendar and it just happened to land on this day.

Agree with the message or not, this is an actual thing with hundreds of thousands (millions, possibly) of people motivated to take to the streets. The Great Pumpkin definitely doesn't care, and his half-witted supporters don't either, and it may not make a difference, but it's something.
This isn't just about Trump. This was an easy day to get millions of people to make a point, when there's already a lot of attention on DC and on policy changes. We have a new Congress and we have new Representatives, as well as a new man in the White House.

They want to be sure that all of these new people realize that we are going to demand that our voices be heard. As awful as this past year was, I feel like it could be wonderful to push younger people (and women especially) to be active and vocal in the world of politics. Watching this may well push more women to run for office, push more women to register to vote, push more women to get an education and go into law, etc. This is so ugly now, but seeing these young women (many of whom were likely too young to vote in this last election) show up in droves to make their voices heard is absolutely inspiring and it lifts my spirits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
This is where you start to lose me. While I can agree that there is a portion of the Republican party which are racist, homophobic and xenophobic, you cannot lump these people together as one homogeneous group. I don't think that most Trump supporters are all that concerned about LGBT issues or see other issues (like the economy) as much more important. I think that sort of stuff only appeals to certain segments of the party.
Note that I never called them racist or homophobic or xenophobic, because I don't think a large number of them believe that they are. But those same people--who would never claim to be racists/hate gays/etc--are terrified of change. "This isn't the America I recognize," which is a pretty subconscious call for the "good old days" where their towns were white, the characters on their TV were straight, everyone spoke English all the time. It's not hate, it's fear of change.

Quote:
You're in PA - you should see some of this, but the reason some people think illegal immigration and refugees are a big issue is because they think they are losing jobs because of it. As an unemployed worker, you see illegal immigrants coming across the border, you look at it and see one more person that you have to compete with for that job. And he can probably do it cheaper than you. Then the government talks about amnesty for these people and all you can think about is what the hell are they doing to help me when I can't find work?
Someone else touched on this earlier--but the government already did plenty to help citizens to find work, it was up to those people to take that initiative. These are the "bootstraps" types of people, who complain about welfare and food stamps, but they don't ever actually turn that bootstraps argument around on themselves.

They want those old manufacturing and steel and coal jobs back, jobs their fathers and grandfathers had, where they didn't even have to graduate high school to make 40k a year to start. But those jobs don't exist now. Automation and progress have taken away most of those jobs, and you can't roll back automation or technological progress.

These people have to read the writing on the wall--the writing that's been there for decades--that the world around them is changing, and that they need to adapt to it. Again it's the fear of change and the refusal to move forward.

Quote:
Then only one candidate decides to appeal to them directly by speaking about renegotiating unfair trade deals which caused their factories to close. Talks about limiting H-1B visas because they feel they are bringing in foreign professionals to work for cheaper (speaks to American exceptionalism). While the other barely campaigns in your state. Maybe some people do think the jobs will come back, but others look at other protected Industries (like Agriculture) and sees them doing well and probably thinks that if we did reduce free trade, some of the jobs would come back.
But again it comes down to heads in the sand, because when I try to talk with these people and point out that the guy talking about these trade deals is benefiting greatly from them by producing goods overseas, benefiting from H-1B visas by hiring temp workers from Latin America for his hotels, they just say "but he'll fix it! He's a businessman! He knows what he's doing!" ignoring all actual reality and fact, and if you bring up facts and stats and Trump's actual history as a businessman, they shut down and refuse to listen.

Quote:
Then you come by and call them a racist and they get their backs up. Not once did they really even think about race when working through the above equation and they shut you out completely. Rightly or wrongly they are looking out for themselves and trying to get by. They've seen wages stagnate over the last 40-50 years and think things are getting worse.
They shut you out for many reasons. Actual scientific fact means nothing to them. I heard a group of Trump voters talking once about how Al Gore made billions lying about climate change, how it was such a complete and total joke, and literally ten minutes later were having a discussion about how the weather is so much different now than when they were growing up. We used to get snow and now we don't get any around here! The cognitive dissonance is exhausting.

And beyond that, they keep voting for politicians who aim to bust unions. Wages raise when workers unionize. It's no small surprise that as unionization has decreased, wages have stagnated. But you cannot actually talk to them about that, because they've been brainwashed to believe unions are bad and teachers unions have resulted in overpaid educators, etc, etc.

Yet again--cognitive dissonance and not doing research and voting against their own best interests, and you cannot talk them out of those ill-formed opinions regardless of how much fact you back it up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
During this election you saw a lot of rust belters and unionized workers switch from (D) to (R) to support Trump - I'm sure there are some that don't want handouts like welfare or EI and some that do. They voted D for most of their life and it got them to this point, so they were frustrated.
That's the thing, there weren't really a huge number of normally D voters that went R. West Virginia always goes red. Ohio often goes red. Pennsylvania and Michigan were the big surprises as they regularly go Dem, but the difference in votes was tiny. Trump won MI with .3% of the vote, and PA with 1.2% of the vote. He did not win either state by a huge majority, he narrowly edged Clinton in both.

It looks like a huge win because the electoral college makes it look like a huge win. In all reality, the swing states that he won that give the map this huge swath of red were actually only won by a couple hundred thousand votes, among probably 15 million votes. There was not a massive shift to R for Trump, it was just enough of a shift to give him the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yup. Not to mention the fact that the new administration is about to take health care away from millions of people, defund planned parenthood, etc..

I'd say that's more than enough reason to protest.
Also that they want to gut the entire department that deals with the Violence Against Women act, which would roll back a lot of laws protecting women from domestic violence, etc.

They want to cut funding to departments that deal with climate science and the development of clean energy. Trump wants to roll back regulations to protect our water, air, soil. They want to cut funding for the Arts and Humanities, for public television and radio, etc, etc. They want to lessen protections for the LGBT community. They want to cut funding to the department that investigates overuse of power by police.

There are a lot of things to protest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Maybe, and stay with me here, the people who are protesting Trump's inauguration didn't vote for him to be the President. Just because he was elected doesn't mean the people who chose not to vote for him can't voice their displeasure. That can't be an odd concept can it?
There are a lot of things at play. There could be formerly convicted felons who have served their time but are still barred from voting. There could be students who are here legally from another country who were yet unable to vote because they aren't citizens, but they're still worried about what this administration might do. There are teenagers who aren't yet 18 and thus weren't allowed to vote in this election.

Beyond that, it's a reminder to this administration that despite the fact that Trump won the electoral college, he lost the popular vote. That doesn't delegitimize his presidency, but it does mean that he is not the leader of the majority of Americans. He won with a minority vote, and yet he promised to be a president for all Americans. This is a way to try to remind him that the rest of us are still here. This is to remind him that even in many of the states he won, he did not win them with an overwhelming percent of the vote. He won, but not by much, not in PA, not in Michigan, not in many of those rust belt states that won him the White House.

Because in two more years, those girls who marched today who are 16 and 17 years old are going to be able to vote. This is to remind them to listen to those voices too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Either way, protest away at the guy who hasnt done anything yet. Dont get me wrong, hes a massive buffoon and when he does do something we're going to have to invent a brand new scale for stupid.

But protesting on his first day?

"We dont want you!!"

Cool. Tough.
He's done plenty.

He has flat out refused to show his taxes, which would prove what kind of conflicts of interest he truly has. He has refused to put his businesses in a blind trust as he's supposed to do. He has hired a woman who wants to dismantle public education to run the Department of Education. He has hired a man with zero political experience to run the Department of Housing. He has hired a man who has repeatedly been caught cheating his employees to run the Department of Labor. Merely by his cabinet picks alone, he has given reason for protest.

Beyond that, this is not just about Trump.

This is about the GOP trying to take healthcare away from millions of Americans. This is about the GOP trying to defund Planned Parenthood and put women's health at risk. This is about the GOP refusing to expand protections for gay and trans Americans (you can still be fired or evicted from a rental apartment/home in lot of states). This is about the GOP ignoring the science about Climate Change.

This is about so much more than us just not liking Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So on day 0 he issued executive orders which appear to get rid of the enforcement of the individual mandate for the ACA. Without the individual mandate the pre existing conditions coverage will not be affordable.

The executive order in general is asking for the minimum enforcement required by law accross all agency. So environmental protection, Labour protections that are monitored and enforced by government have all been weakened.

So despite it being Day 0 people would have plenty to protest about.

What i don't get is what people in Calgary are Marching for
To me it was a symbol of camaraderie, a show of support, a reminder to the GOP that they should be careful what they let Trump get away with, because the world is still watching. To me it was also a very big show against this current move toward protectionism and nationalism, toward this extreme right ideology that has taken root in the US and Europe.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #439
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
This is just comedy. Spicer had a 5.5 minute statement, 4.5 minutes of which was spent whining and lying about the press and the inauguration crowd size, and then he spent about a minute stuttering his way through the actual business of giving updates about the President's activities:
Damn, I hate Spicer
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #440
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Damn, I hate Spicer
Spoiler!
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers